Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NYU Stern vs. UCLA Anderson (am I overvaluing Stern here?)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 13

NYU Stern vs. UCLA Anderson (am I overvaluing Stern here?) [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2013, 17:39
This post received
KUDOS
Just some background: 750 GMAT , 3.7 GPA from UCLA undergrad, currently work at a family office running a hedge fund in LA. Post-MBA i want to continue working as a buy-side analyst but for a leading investment management shop in Los Angeles.

I'm applying/applied to H/S/W/Columbia/Booth though I consider all of them reaches (some more than others).

I have a lot racing through my mind and was looking for some feedback:

1) If I wanted to work in the west coast post-MBA, is it pointless to apply to Stern despite it's strong finance program? Is it really that hard to get a job as a buy-side analyst in the west coast with a degree from Stern? I figured the placement in west coast jobs from Stern might be low just because it's rare for someone to prefer LA over NYC on the buy-side.

2) How strong is Anderson's presence in recruiting in the investment management field? I never regarded UCLA as a strong program for IM, but maybe I'm wrong and the degree does hold value in that regard. I'm looking at the employment stats and they placed 2.6% in Investment Management in 2012.

3) This is probably the most subjective part, but do you think it's worth it to just not apply to UCLA/Stern and if I get denied at the top five. To try to apply to them again next year (give myself two shots at it), and then apply to UCLA/Stern as a safety next year?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2138

Kudos [?]: 7347 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: NYU Stern vs. UCLA Anderson (am I overvaluing Stern here?) [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2013, 15:16
Expert's post
Swoosh617 wrote:
Just some background: 750 GMAT , 3.7 GPA from UCLA undergrad, currently work at a family office running a hedge fund in LA. Post-MBA i want to continue working as a buy-side analyst but for a leading investment management shop in Los Angeles.

I'm applying/applied to H/S/W/Columbia/Booth though I consider all of them reaches (some more than others).

I have a lot racing through my mind and was looking for some feedback:

1) If I wanted to work in the west coast post-MBA, is it pointless to apply to Stern despite it's strong finance program? Is it really that hard to get a job as a buy-side analyst in the west coast with a degree from Stern? I figured the placement in west coast jobs from Stern might be low just because it's rare for someone to prefer LA over NYC on the buy-side.

When you say West Coast do you mean LA or San Francisco? Big difference in terms of finance options between the two and if you are looking for LA, I would say you need to do a search on linked in/websites of potential employers to see if they have Stern alums (search Stern+Target company name in Linked in) that will give you an idea about current placements. This will take some time but nothing hard for a person with your stats :wink:

My understanding is that LA is mostly a concentration of smaller IM shops and you may have a higher chance with UCLA than Stern, just due to geography and since someone may have gone to UCLA undergrad/MBA/etc - you have a much stronger probability but I could be off - this is based on a guesstimate and not intimate knowledge of the IM practices in Los Ageless.

If you are looking for San Francisco as the location, then you need to apply to Haas and/or Stanford (which you have Stanford already)

Quote:
2) How strong is Anderson's presence in recruiting in the investment management field? I never regarded UCLA as a strong program for IM, but maybe I'm wrong and the degree does hold value in that regard. I'm looking at the employment stats and they placed 2.6% in Investment Management in 2012.
I can't really speak about this a whole lot but for LA, UCLA is probably as good as it gets since the city is split between USC and UCLA; it is again going to be a bit of search to figure out. I have no other thoughts/comments.

Quote:
3) This is probably the most subjective part, but do you think it's worth it to just not apply to UCLA/Stern and if I get denied at the top five. To try to apply to them again next year (give myself two shots at it), and then apply to UCLA/Stern as a safety next year?
[/quote]
As somebody said on GMAT Club last year - don't apply to any school you would not attend.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Sauder '16 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 21

Re: NYU Stern vs. UCLA Anderson (am I overvaluing Stern here?) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 21:15
Try talking to some folks from the Investment club at Anderson (http://www.anderson.ucla.edu/clubs-and- ... nt-finance). They should be able to guide you better as to whether Anderson is strong with IM recruiting.

Good luck!
Re: NYU Stern vs. UCLA Anderson (am I overvaluing Stern here?)   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2013, 21:15