Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 19:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Obesity often leads to health problems, such as heart

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Obesity often leads to health problems, such as heart [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 09:04
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

17% (01:06) correct 83% (01:30) wrong based on 7 sessions
Quote:
Obesity often leads to health problems,
such as heart attacks, Type II diabetes,
strokes, and cancer. A person who is consid-
ered clinically obese has a three-times-
greater chance of heart trouble. Obesity is
also responsible for as many as 90,000
cancer deaths per year. The earlier a person
becomes obese, the greater the health prob-
lems and risk of death. By the year 2010, it is
predicted that half the children in North
and South America will be clinically obese
compared to about one-third of children in
The above premises most logically lead to
which of the following conclusions?
(A) Children will become more and more
obese in the coming years.
(B) Children in North and South America
are more obese than children in Europe
or Asia.
(C) Obesity that begins in childhood poses
a greater risk of health problems and
death than does obesity that begins in
adulthood.
(D) Today’s children may be the first gener-
ation in centuries to have a shorter
average life span than their parents.
(E) Parents should not be concerned about
childhood obesity because kids have
plenty of time to lose the weight.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 09:30
I cannot think if any better conclusion then Option A .

IMO its A .. OA pls.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 10:42
IMO choice C is the most logical conclusion since the passage states that
“The earlier a person becomes obese, the greater the health problems and risk of death”

Choice A for me causes some problems. Does it mean children become ‘more’ obese or does it mean more children become obese? This is a paradox for me based on the way it is stated. It is also not specific and can be taken to mean ALL children as opposed to children in North & South America as stated in the passage comparatively.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 1

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 15:21
IMO C since the passage explicitly mentions this

A kudos would greatly help :)

Tuhin

Intern
Intern

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 18:45
here goes the OA

D.

This question requires you to draw the logical conclusion from the given premises.You’re looking for a conclusion that addresses all the premises but doesn’t introduce outside information. Eliminate A because the premises don’t address whether children will continue to become more obese after 2010. Choice B compares children in North and South America to those in Europe and Asia, and information about European and Asian children isn’t present in the argument. Choice C is a restatement of the premise that childhood obesity is more dangerous than adult onset obesity. Choice E actually contradicts the premises
and therefore can’t be the conclusion. You’re left with D, which addresses both the health problems associated with childhood obesity and the fact that such obesity has increased.
Intern
Intern

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 18:48
I am not happy with D .

I chose C initially.

How many are agree with D ?
Intern
Intern

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 18:49
tell me one thing , conclusion are given in para ? have you experienced it so far ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2010, 21:00
+1 to C
OA please.?

"Always....Read between the lines"

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2010, 16:12
I think C is better answer.

D draws a extreme conclusion
(D) Today’s children may be the first gener-
ation in centuries to have a shorter
average life span than their parents.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 03:03
ghentu wrote:
here goes the OA

D.

This question requires you to draw the logical conclusion from the given premises.You’re looking for a conclusion that addresses all the premises but doesn’t introduce outside information. Eliminate A because the premises don’t address whether children will continue to become more obese after 2010. Choice B compares children in North and South America to those in Europe and Asia, and information about European and Asian children isn’t present in the argument. Choice C is a restatement of the premise that childhood obesity is more dangerous than adult onset obesity. Choice E actually contradicts the premises
and therefore can’t be the conclusion. You’re left with D, which addresses both the health problems associated with childhood obesity and the fact that such obesity has increased.

Going by the logic mentioned in the OE..any outside info should not have been introduced in the answer.But IMO there is new info in the OA i.e. D talks about the entire generation as well as the life span of the children's parents.

IMO C is a better answer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 15

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2010, 19:55
i agree c is a better answer. what;s the source of this question ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 08:31
D is the best answer here. Passage is predicting that by 2010 half the children in North
and South America will be clinically obese compared to about one-third of children in

Conclusion regarding the child obesity should also predict something. Conclusion must not be in past or in present tense.

At first look I choose C. However, after careful analysis I noticed that C is in simple present tense. C says Obesity that begins in childhood poses a greater risk of health problems and death than does obesity that begins in adulthood.

word begins doesn't give proper information. When does obesity begins in children? It is yet to begin in the context of the passage. Therefore, I ruled out this option.

IMO D is correct
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2010, 10:29
IMO correct Answer should be D
The answer choices which are very close are C & D
you can very easily neagte C by close examination that it simly restates the fact the earlier you are diagnosed with the obesity greater is the health problem

D --> Some ppl may think that choice D is an extreme explanation , but on carfeful scrutiny you will find that it uses may be clause ....which makes it apt choice :|
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 07:07
I will put my money on C as well. It is a restatement from the passage.

D requires stretched assumptions: we don't know about avg lifespan, we have nothing on parents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2010, 23:48
It is C as from the given information we can't say as
Quote:
(D) Today’s children may be the first generation in centuries to have a shorter average life span than their parents.
- not mentioned in the passage.
It might happen that 90% parents have obesity , who knows?
There is no information about the adulthood obesity anywhere
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2010, 14:54
Can someone please inform me of what the source of this question is? I would have said C. In these types of questions, it is entirely possibly to simply restate the premise. D forces you to assume too many things.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:16
after reading OA's explanation, looks like D but my first choice was C
Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 325

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 04:23
what is the source of the Question
i Chose C but after seeing the explanations i feel C is wrong, but at the same im unable to agree that D is ans

One Final Try.......

Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Followers: 327

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 11

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 17:34
Hey Everyone,

I got a private message request to answer this one, so I thought I'd give it a go. Looks like there was a lot of spirited debate. Hope I can help!

Obesity often leads to health problems, such as heart attacks, Type II diabetes, strokes, and cancer. A person who is considered clinically obese has a three-times-greater chance of heart trouble. Obesity is also responsible for as many as 90,000 cancer deaths per year. The earlier a person becomes obese, the greater the health problems and risk of death. By the year 2010, it is predicted that half the children in North and South America will be clinically obese compared to about one-third of children in 2000.

This is a draw a conclusion question, so all we need to do is keep track of the premises..

Premises: Obesity leads to health problems. Earlier a person becomes obese, greater problems. By 2010, half of children will be obese, compared to 1/3 now.

The above premises most logically lead to which of the following conclusions?
(A) Children will become more and more obese in the coming years.
PROBLEM: We know that more children will become obese, but not that each individual child will be more obese.

(B) Children in North and South America are more obese than children in Europe or Asia.
PROBLEM: There's no good reason to compare these kids to kids anywhere else.

(C) Obesity that begins in childhood poses a greater risk of health problems and death than does obesity that begins in
adulthood.
ANSWER: This exactly what is written in the premises. If you become obese earlier, you have more problems. Some of you probably didn't pick this because it looked to easy. That's why it's important to notice that this is a DRAW A CONCLUSION question. The obvious answer is generally correct on these.

(D) Today’s children may be the first generation in centuries to have a shorter average life span than their parents.
PROBLEM: Okay, this is the kind of thing that people are tricked into choosing on DRAW A CONCLUSION question. It seems like an obvious inference from the data given. But we know NOTHING about whether overall life span will go down. Also, this generalizes about all children, instead of North American children, which is all we got any information about.

(E) Parents should not be concerned about childhood obesity because kids have plenty of time to lose the weight.
PROBLEM: Ha! this is hilarious! It has nothing to do with the argument, but it made me laugh.

Hope that helps!

-t

Tommy Wallach | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | San Francisco

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Retired Moderator
WE 1: 4yrs in IT Industry
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 325

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 05:07
Hi TommyWallach,

So is the OA wrong?

ghentu wats the source of the question

One Final Try.......

Re: Obesity often leads to health problems   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2010, 05:07