Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 04:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

October GMAT Difficulty Level and Walk-In for GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
October GMAT Difficulty Level and Walk-In for GMAT [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2003, 08:41
Can anyone tell us about GMAT in october. Does GMAT in october tend to be more difficult then the other months or is it just the same as the other months. I am planning to walk in to write my GMAT. Can I register for it and ask ETS to send me power prep CD's without actually getting date. I do not want to download the test.

Also please share your experience about October GMAT.

Thanks a lot for your time

--Bhai
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Hmm Not Sure [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2003, 07:51
I'm not sure if the GMAT tends to be more difficult in certain moths as opposed to others.
Intern
Intern

Yes it is [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2003, 11:06
Yes, GMAT in this month, is the toughest so far. The question bank for this month for both quant and verbal is really tough.

ETS is usually in a generous mood in December, as most of their staff should be on leave, etc.

The month of December usually has easier if not the easiest test.

Experience it for yourself, give the test now and then in December, you will know, what I mean. Bonus points in easy questions come in December. :wink:
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2003, 23:44
hey watch dog
from where did u get the question bank for october month
i will be taking my GMAT in november ..
can you tell me whether the test is tough in november month as well
thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yes it is [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2003, 10:43
watchdog wrote:
Yes, GMAT in this month, is the toughest so far. The question bank for this month for both quant and verbal is really tough.

ETS is usually in a generous mood in December, as most of their staff should be on leave, etc.

Experience it for yourself, give the test now and then in December, you will know, what I mean. Bonus points in easy questions come in December. :wink:

Watchdog, your reasoning makes no sense (but please correct me if you have proof). You think that the ETS staff makes questions in the same month that they post them on the actual test? We all know that many questions are included first as "trial" questions that do not count towards one's score, and then do not appear to be counted until months later. Even IF your reasoning was correct, then that would make the January test easier. What do you think?

Sept 3rd

GMAT Instructor
Schools: Haas, MFE; Anderson, MBA; USC, MSEE
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Yes it is [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2003, 12:38
watchdog wrote:

How would you know that this month is "toughest of all"? How you taken the test every month?

In any case, IMO your conclusion about December is absurd. The question bank has been prepared long in advance and there is no sensible purpose for making the test easier just because ETS presumably is short-staffed that month. In case you didn't notice, the scores are calculated by computer.

Second, whether the tests differ in difficulty or not (there is probably some variation in difficulty from month to month, but it is certainly not planned, not predictable) doesn't matter because the scores are NORMED. This means that the scores are adjusted for the differences in difficulty level of the test. A relatively easy test will be relatively easy for EVERYONE, hence the scores will be adjusted to reflect this and the ensuing percentage score will correlate well to a test of different level. In fact, the more difficult the test, IMO, the more accurate the scores because, in a test with only 81 question of which only a portion are "real", you need more difficult test to differentiate at the upper end.

If I were you, I would not worry about the difficulty or lack thereof of any particular test. If you get a difficult test, it will be difficult for EVERYONE. Trying to outsmart the system only takes valuable energy away that you could use to study whats really important.

Best,

AkamaiBrah
Former Senior Instructor, Manhattan GMAT and VeritasPrep
Vice President, Midtown NYC Investment Bank, Structured Finance IT
MFE, Haas School of Business, UC Berkeley, Class of 2005
MBA, Anderson School of Management, UCLA, Class of 1993

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2003, 18:08
Um, you rarely can just walk in to a testing center without an appointment and just take the test. Only a handful of students can take the test at any one time, and some centers get booked up weeks in advance.

Your best bet is to start studying, and when you have a feel for what the test is like and how much study time you'll need, then register for a date. And just download the software - it doesn't take that long.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2003, 06:02
Can't you guys realize the sarcasm in watchdog's post? Settle down.
Intern
Intern

Enronitis [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2003, 06:54
Q. How many Enron executives does it take to change a light bulb?

A. None. They anticipate when the bulb will burn out, sell off their stock and then bail out before it gets too dark.

-----

We hear that Arthur Andersen was using Enron to test out their new microwave auditors. They spend 45 minutes in the office and bill you for the whole day.
Intern
Intern

Enronspeak [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2003, 06:57
Enronspeak !

Cant you tell a LAY from LIE !
Enronspeak   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2003, 06:57