Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 12:57
Hey guys.

Please be as brutally honest with me as possible when it comes to my chances. I recently got accepted to a marginal accounting program(not even close to ranked) and am unsure if I should try and improve my resume to get into a top 100 school(i.e. Iowa, Iowa State, De Paul, Loyola, Minn, Mich State, Missouri, NC State, Kentucky etc) or accept the offer on the table.

Nationality: American

The Good:

700 GMAT(if I retook it I am confident I could bump it up by 20-50 points)
Minority Candidate(Native American)
Graduated from Vanderbilt in 2008

The Bad:

I have spent the last 4 years playing online poker professionally. As a result of this I have 0 job experience. This is really going to hurt me but I feel like I can control the damage by pointing out its strengths. I was able to make a consistent profit that was much higher than the average US salary, I have travelled to 27 countries, lived in 3, and (in my opinion) doing well in poker is reflective of a good work ethic, sharp mind, and discipline.

The Ugly:

My undergraduate GPA was 2.5 and I doubled majored in Philosophy and History. My grades were relatively static the entire time. The grades were mostly my fault. I was mostly lazy/lacking ambition but a medical issue made the problem much worse. This problem thankfully is 100 percent gone.

I am willing to spend the next 1.5 years attempting to improve my resume. i.e. Getting A's in Accounting/Economic courses, volunteering, interning, finding a job, spending loads of time working on my application essays, improving my Gmat etc. (I am also open to the idea of going back to undergraduate and getting a business degree with a much improved GPA) The question though is even if I do all of this, would I have a chance of getting into a decent top 100 program or does my lack of job experience/poor undergraduate GPA doom me?

Thank you very much.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 11

Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 19:54
There is a thread dedicated to people who scored in the mid 2's with GPA getting into top 15 programs, one student with a 1.9 got into Insead which is top tier in Europe.

I think your GMAT is good to overcome your GPA for a school between top 30-50 but the main factor that will work against you is crafting your work experience into a workable story.

Its nice that you made good income and were able to travel around but without traditional work experience some schools worry you might not be able to contribute to discussions on work/business related issues.. but this primarily would be an issue for the top 30.

Outside of the top 30 there are programs that accept a large portion of the class (>35%) right out of college with 0 work experience.

If you crafted an alternative transcript with 3-4 courses, gotten good grades and applied to the schools you mentioned you should definitely get a few offers imo.(you would probably get offers without the alternative transcript since your GMAT is 50 points higher than average for schools in the 30-50 range).

Good luck and don't sell yourself short.
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 11

Premium Member
Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 22:38
Illini1987 wrote:
Hey guys.

Please be as brutally honest with me as possible when it comes to my chances. I recently got accepted to a marginal accounting program(not even close to ranked) and am unsure if I should try and improve my resume to get into a top 100 school(i.e. Iowa, Iowa State, De Paul, Loyola, Minn, Mich State, Missouri, NC State, Kentucky etc) or accept the offer on the table.

Nationality: American

The Good:

700 GMAT(if I retook it I am confident I could bump it up by 20-50 points)
Minority Candidate(Native American)
Graduated from Vanderbilt in 2008

The Bad:

I have spent the last 4 years playing online poker professionally. As a result of this I have 0 job experience. This is really going to hurt me but I feel like I can control the damage by pointing out its strengths. I was able to make a consistent profit that was much higher than the average US salary, I have travelled to 27 countries, lived in 3, and (in my opinion) doing well in poker is reflective of a good work ethic, sharp mind, and discipline.

The Ugly:

My undergraduate GPA was 2.5 and I doubled majored in Philosophy and History. My grades were relatively static the entire time. The grades were mostly my fault. I was mostly lazy/lacking ambition but a medical issue made the problem much worse. This problem thankfully is 100 percent gone.

I am willing to spend the next 1.5 years attempting to improve my resume. i.e. Getting A's in Accounting/Economic courses, volunteering, interning, finding a job, spending loads of time working on my application essays, improving my Gmat etc. (I am also open to the idea of going back to undergraduate and getting a business degree with a much improved GPA) The question though is even if I do all of this, would I have a chance of getting into a decent top 100 program or does my lack of job experience/poor undergraduate GPA doom me?

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I would suggest that you can use the upcoming 2 years to improve

1) Your academics ( choose some local courses in managements, statistics, economics etc)
2) Associate yourself with local management association ( learn how businesses work )
3) Engage in ECs where you can learn some leadership skills
4) Read some good books on management.
5) Find a job

Please understand that do not just work on doing make up of your profile :), because there is a bigger world to face post MBA in your job, and these steps would helps you not only to get into MBA but also to perform well during MBA and post MBA.

Your GMAT will help you to prove your capability to undergo academics , so this is a good point for you.

There are also ways by which you can highlight some positives about your 4 years of poker experience ( though not substantial , you may craft a decent story in your essays )

Overall, you will stand chance for a decent school, so prepare a perfect plan, take feedback from people across and work in it.

Good Luck

Free Essay Editing Service
free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 00:48
Top 100 is very easily doable with this profile. with a few tweaks you could certainly crack the top 50. Top 30 is where you will have issues with your work ex, gpa, etc.
Director
Director
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GRE 1: 336 Q169 V167
GPA: 3.22
WE: Information Technology (Manufacturing)
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 146 [0], given: 249

Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 19:07
People get into top business schools from places like the NFL, I don't see how professional poker is any crazier. It's an unusual background, but to make a living from poker signals a truly elite level of play. There's a lot of quantitative analysis, strategy, and risk. Poker has a lot of transferable skills.

The fact that you have a 700 GMAT and a Native American heritage means that you will be game at schools much higher than is mentioned here. Some universities have made extremely strong commitments to diversity, specifically racial diversity, and life experience diversity. I don't mind tooting my own horn, so I'll say that Michigan Ross is one of those schools, and I encourage you to check it out.

GPA hurts a bit, but you're not alone. Browse through some of the calling threads to get a feel for where schools are willing to take people on the numbers.

ME: PROFILE | CPA: BEC AUD FAR REG | CMA: ONE TWO

bitly bundles: mba rankings | mba programs

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 00:32
I'd suggest contacting the schools you're interested in and talking it through with their admissions people. I am attending Tippie (University of Iowa) in the fall and have found their admissions team amazingly supportive and informative.

Also, I'm barely in the 2s and I got into Vanderbilt and Carnegie Mellon with a 660 and an alright GPA. Interview and essays are huge!

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 22:00
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am feeling way more confident about the process than I was before.

sometimesitsnows01 wrote:
I'd suggest contacting the schools you're interested in and talking it through with their admissions people. I am attending Tippie (University of Iowa) in the fall and have found their admissions team amazingly supportive and informative.

Also, I'm barely in the 2s and I got into Vanderbilt and Carnegie Mellon with a 660 and an alright GPA. Interview and essays are huge!

What should I say when I contact them? Should I ask them to evaluate my profile?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GPA: 3.45
WE: General Management (Law)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 16:44
All admissions people will say the same things to you about if you'll get in/if you fit into the profile, they'll say they can't tell you without seeing a whole application and without the committee but that you should apply. I'd ask instead what with a background like yours what are the main concerns they might have about your application, that way you can address them in the application.

Illini1987 wrote:
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am feeling way more confident about the process than I was before.

sometimesitsnows01 wrote:

What should I say when I contact them? Should I ask them to evaluate my profile?

Feel free to read about my progress

http://20somethingsmba.blogspot.com/

Re: Odds of Getting Into a Top 100 school   [#permalink] 14 May 2012, 16:44