Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 17:42
egy wrote:
I realize i'm probably also selecting myself out of the seats women my age would probably sit in as I've got elite status on the airlines i usually fly and generally am up front (or when i'm lucky, upgraded to first).

atlmba2009 wrote:
egy wrote:
Aside from the fact that I'm married, I don't think I've ever sat next to a woman +/- 5 years of my age other than my wife. Maybe once or twice... and I travel a lot. Where are you guys flying that this happens so often?

My thoughts exactly. I usually get stuck next to a plus-size fifty-something with a whooping cough. I guess so much depends on where you are flying. Flying to Vegas or Miami => Odds = Good. Flying to Kansas City or Newark => Odds = Not so much.

I am around your age (I think) and typically get upgraded as well. And never sit next to anybody under 45 or even single :lol:
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 1

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 19:18
irishspring wrote:
I was flying from Hawaii. Well I get on flight, and am sitting almost in the back. Well, before I got on flight I notice this girl at the bar. And she looks incredibly familiar. She is very attractive.

Who was the girl? 90 percent sure it was Tara Reid.

Very attractive and Tara Reid are mutually exclusive of one another IMO. Maybe it's the fact that she's dumb as a rock. Like, oh my god...
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [3] , given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 19:23
This post received
KUDOS
Actually, its a little known fact that Tara Reid is a Wharton MBA.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 31

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
I usually get upgraded to 1st class (perks of flying every week for work) and more often than not, have the old sketchy dudes sitting next to me. :?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 19:56
I was flying back after Tuck's interview and there was this nerdy girl sitting next to me and reading a romantic novel. Is it a sign from above about the women I'll encounter in the next two years? Off to a terrible start.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 16

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 20:52
This post received
KUDOS
I am pretty sure that I'm about 0/185 on people within the 5 year age differential. On a side note, I'm about 183/185 for either a) annoying teenage girls or b) mom with crying toddler.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
highhopes wrote:
I am pretty sure that I'm about 0/185 on people within the 5 year age differential. On a side note, I'm about 183/185 for either a) annoying teenage girls or b) mom with crying toddler.

don't forget old guy who either snores / has to get up to go to the bathroom every 10 minutes (probably your other 2 times). This type is especially prominent on Southwest flights where you end up in boarding Group Q and all the window seats are long gone once you board. Wanna get away?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
OK, now that we're talking about we've sat next to on flights...

Once I was flying from Korea -> NY (14 hour non-stop) and sat next to this guy...
Luckily I wasn't flying solo because I ended up sitting on my mom's lap.

The guy next to me was so big that he had to get a seatbelt extender!
I didn't even realize they had such things! He literally took up 2 seats... the 2nd one being MINE :twisted:
oK i exaggerated a little bit, LITERALLY, he took up his own seat PLUS 3/4 of my seat... i was shoved up between his overflowing flesh and my right arm divider... well i kinda found extra space inside the warm rolls.
it smelled really bad and i had to end up sitting on my mom's lap... the flight attendants wouldn't say anything to me, probably mostly in fear of embarassing the other guy.

OH, when we landed... i felt so bad for this guy because what followed must have been utterly humiliating.
As soon as we landed the guy calls over a flight attendant and mutters in a low voice "Can I get off first? I couldn't fit in the bathroom."

TeH most uncomfortable 14 hour plane ride evAR
Current Student
Schools: Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 18:38
wow I missed a lot on this thread and need to offer a funny story.

A couple months ago I was flying back from London. I had a conversation with a friend of mine earlier in the day about how sitting next to hot guys only happens in tv & movies.

As I board the plane, I think to myself "hm wouldn't it be nice if I got to sit next to a hot guy". Well, I slowly approach my seat and get a look at who I am seated next to. To my shock, I see a nun, fully dressed with habit and all. I couldn't help but laugh out loud. God was sending me a sign to behave.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
RMaven21 wrote:
OK, now that we're talking about we've sat next to on flights...

I had to sit next to a guy who looked just like Ron Jeremy (not in his younger days either).

The best part was he was wearing sandals and when the flight took off, he took them off and crossed his legs so his nasty yellow toenails were only inches from my legs!

One scratch and I was sure I would have gotten flesh eating disease.

RF

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 34

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2008, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
refurb wrote:
I had to sit next to a guy who looked just like Ron Jeremy (not in his younger days either).

Was it Stan Van Gundy?!
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 31

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
TL wrote:
why do i get the feeling this may be a number of GMAT clubbers, come welcome weekends & beyond...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

:P

So. Um. If you're procrastinating and decide to watch this at work...put headphones on. :oops:
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [0], given: 29

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 09:56
On a flight from London to Frankfurt, I was sitting next to a morbidly obese woman who was breast feeding her baby. The lady would not stop talking to me and I was trying soooooo hard not to look down at "ya know". But her "ya know"s were so big they were almost touching my arm!

"George is getting upset!"

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 09:56
irishspring wrote:
Who was the girl? 90 percent sure it was Tara Reid.

I hope you washed your hands thoroughly afterward. :shock:

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 09:58
I always get stuck next to the panicky-looking disheveled guys who look like they're nervous about their impending hijacking. :(

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 10:00
This post received
KUDOS
ac8706 wrote:
TL wrote:
why do i get the feeling this may be a number of GMAT clubbers, come welcome weekends & beyond...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pXfHLUlZf4

:P

So. Um. If you're procrastinating and decide to watch this at work...put headphones on. :oops:

I can imagine the lyrics too.....

(shows Andy Samberg on his laptop checking his email)
Received an admit to (Dream School X), and I, %$/@# in my pants!!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Cornell '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 133 [1] , given: 29

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 10:03
This post received
KUDOS
She thought she was getting an acceptance letter to (Dream school X), but it was my *&%@ in box!

Andy Samberg keeps SNL afloat.

"George is getting upset!"

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 14:13
This post received
KUDOS
In EMBA programs, most people are married. At Wharton there are actually a few single women but almost no single men so those women are on the hunt...

Talking about airplane flights, here's my story...

I had a project in Dallas back in my consulting days so I would fly Delta from LAX-DFW every Sunday and fly back on Friday. At the airport, there was this smoking hot girl wearing a school girl outfit. She was so hot that all the guys were looking at her but was too intimidated to talk to her.

Anyway, we get on the flight and as you may have predicted, she sits next to me! I was the envy of every guy on that plane. I'm an engineering nerd so there isn't that much for me to talk about with her but shortly after the flight takes off she pulls out AN HTML BOOK! So I casually ask her if she's studying web design and we start talking from there.

Well, it turned out that actually she's a stripper. She works in Anaheim at a strip club but has a friend in Dallas that said she can make a lot of money out there so she was flying out there to check out a club and go dance. She invited me to go out there and see her. Actually she even invited me to hang out with her since she didn't know many people in Dallas and back in LA but I didn't get her number or anything. This was back when I was engaged to be married and I was being a good boy. We hung out, drank, and talked the entire flight. I was hoping to see her again flying out to Dallas but no such luck.

She was one of those really open girls who would say stuff like "I've lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months but I haven't been working out...look here at my stomach (raise her shirt)." She was dumb though...she said that she was supposed to go out to Dallas last week but she bought a plane ticket on priceline and the ticket was from Ontario Airport (another local SoCal airport but more obscure and further away) and since she wanted driving direction she just wrote in mapquest that she wanted to go to "Ontario, CA" so mapquest took her to the center of the city instead of the airport and she missed her flight (lol).

That's the only time I've sat next to anyone hot on the plane.

RVD.

My Wharton Blog - http://www.whartonblog.com
Wharton MBA for Executives Ambassador - http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t66295
My Story - http://gmatclub.com/forum/102-t49770

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 14:29
This post received
KUDOS
Great story RVD. Once again I'm crossing the 'knows a little too much' line, but its very common for strippers to fly out of town on 'business' for a few days, aka to cities where there are big events(and therefore a lot of high rollers) taking place, aka Super Bowl, Mardi Gras, Vegas, big concerts etc. just like consultants do. Clubs that normally have say 20 girls a night will hire 20 more if they know they'll have a big influx of customers. So this very much could happen to others someday. Which of course begs my next question:

Why does that stuff never happen to people like us when we're single?
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 78535

CAT Tests
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2008, 16:36
RVD wrote:
She was one of those really open girls who would say stuff like "I've lost 20 pounds in the last 3 months but I haven't been working out...look here at my stomach (raise her shirt)." She was dumb though...she said that she was supposed to go out to Dallas last week but she bought a plane ticket on priceline and the ticket was from Ontario Airport (another local SoCal airport but more obscure and further away) and since she wanted driving direction she just wrote in mapquest that she wanted to go to "Ontario, CA" so mapquest took her to the center of the city instead of the airport and she missed her flight (lol).

That's the only time I've sat next to anyone hot on the plane.

RVD.

LOL dear god.
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA   [#permalink] 11 Dec 2008, 16:36