Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 261 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 13:32
bostonsparky wrote:
Sorry for those who cringe at the mention of this name, but has anyone here read Tucker Max?

Is it bad if Tucker Max has actually increased my interest in Duke?

I recommend anyone who enjoys edgy comedy to read the book. It's one of my favorite books of all time. He does argue that UNC has way hotter girls than Duke though.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago Booth (Re-app), LBS, UCLA Anderson, Oxford Said, INSEAD (withdrawn)
WE 1: Investment Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 13:45
agold wrote:
I have a feeling it's just sort of understood. On one hand you have a guy with a few years of real-world experience under his belt who is 26-28 years old and on the other hand you have a broke college kid who is 23-24. Big difference in maturity levels, thought processes, etc. I doubt the law school guys will prove to be any serious competition :)

Certainly not. Watch the Columbia follies B-school guy vs. Law School guy on youtube.
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 15:28
I wonder if a bunch of applicants on LSATclub.com are saying the same things about us.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 18:14
riverripper wrote:
chances of losing your spouse during your MBA (or shortly there after) are much greater than meeting them from what I have heard.

so the take away is don't get married before b-school, do it after b-school.

I'm using that excuse with my girlfriend.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 18:29
so I spent the majority of my workday today reading stories on tuckermax.com. Hilarious stuff.
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 72076

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 04:55
LOL
I love it
TL wrote:
nadtrans wrote:
TL, i knew u would respond to this thread. lol

like a moth to a flame my man :P

p.s. i will be running a workshop in Q2'09, for GMAT clubbers looking to step up their game before entering the b school scene. please PM me with your response to two of the following questions (150 word limit on each) so i can tailor the material accordingly.

1.) Please describe your most significant accomplishment as it pertains to your romantic endeavors.

2.) Please describe a time in which you seduced an attractive member of the opposite sex. What characteristics or skills enabled you to do so?

3.) Summarize your relationship experience to date, beginning from high school, and including any one-night stands or other casual encounters.

4.) What's most important to you in a mate and why?

OPTIONAL: If you have never kissed a girl, please explain why and also describe what you think it would be like.

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 04:58
This is a great book - tucker max is hilarious.

Avernusaur wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:
Sorry for those who cringe at the mention of this name, but has anyone here read Tucker Max?

Is it bad if Tucker Max has actually increased my interest in Duke?

I recommend anyone who enjoys edgy comedy to read the book. It's one of my favorite books of all time. He does argue that UNC has way hotter girls than Duke though.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 06:30
LOL, this thread is interesting.
I'll be heading to Duke next year and I had no idea!
Great surprise I guess.

Anyway, back to the original question... I've heard many stories of people meeting future spouses at BSchool.
In fact, my sister met her husband at INSEAD and married 1 year ago.
Current Student
Schools: LBS

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 06:54
yes yes yes!!! this is indeed a very interesting thread...especially when u r an international student and wondering about the place u r going! do u folks have any idea about the "crowd" at this southern university in NewOrleans, Tulane and its b-school, Freeman???
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 14:54
This thread is funny :lol:

At the Duke Women's weekend, I've heard from several current students about how they met their SOs during Orientation. Apparently, that's fairly common here.

Also common, hooking up during parties/nights out at bars/whatever. But then, from what I've gathered, that's the case at most (if not all) schools.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2008, 16:44
irishspring wrote:
I'm shocked, shocked by the responses my original post elicited.

Actually not ready.

Fact is, alot of us who are heading to b school (if we get in), have the knowledge we did not in undergrad - that is the college campus is a wealth of riches compared to post work world.

I seriously have to rely on meeting girls at locales like the seat next to me on an airplane and dangit, thats pretty much it.

My dating life since college, and where I met the girl:
1. Girl #1 (she sat next to me on airplane)
2. Girl #2 (she sat next to me on airplane)

When I get on airplane and an old woman sits next to me, I'm like "ok, im gonna be single this year."

LOL. I've met one too many from this method as well. Kudos for putting it so eloquently :)

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 05:40
irishspring wrote:
When I get on airplane and an old woman sits next to me, I'm like "ok, im gonna be single this year."

Maybe you should be taking the plane more often... or better yet - should you decide not to go to Bschool, become a flight attendant!!! :-D
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2008, 13:58
Interesting story: I met this first year guy at Duke this weekend who said that a good portion of the girls in the program are married/engaged/already in serious relationships. So even though 35% of the class is women, really only 20% (or some similar number) is "eligible" women. I asked him about the guys, and he said that at Duke, a fewer percentage of them were married/engaged than the women.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 13:58
As an FYI, I know that at the University of Chicago they offer dating mixers between the B School, Law School, and the Medical School...at least that's what the students of the B School and Medical School told me when I visited.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 15:32
irishspring wrote:
I'm shocked, shocked by the responses my original post elicited.

Actually not ready.

Fact is, alot of us who are heading to b school (if we get in), have the knowledge we did not in undergrad - that is the college campus is a wealth of riches compared to post work world.

I seriously have to rely on meeting girls at locales like the seat next to me on an airplane and dangit, thats pretty much it.

My dating life since college, and where I met the girl:
1. Girl #1 (she sat next to me on airplane)
2. Girl #2 (she sat next to me on airplane)

hahahahah

The one who flies is worthy. The one who is worthy flies. The one who doesn't fly isn't worthy

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 17:18
LOL you crack me up. Good luck on your blind date!
irishspring wrote:
Both times I was flying out of Seattle.

I do fly a fair amount.

In fact Im flying tomorrown, and again on Thursday. Quite frankly, excited for the possibilities Thursday. I believe I will be flying out of Charlette back to my home. I think there are strong possibilities on that flight.

As a side anecdote, once when I was flying out of San Francisco, I saw this girl that I recognized from high school. She was a girl I kind of had a thing for. She pretty much ignored me though throughout high school, probably for good reason. Lets just my ugly duckling phase was pretty much age 12 through age 18. Basically.

Long story short, she ends up have the seat next to me! Finally, she turns to me and says 'hey, are you?'. I say yeah. We talk whole flight. She goes on to tell me before getting on flight she had texted another girl I knew saying "guess who is about to board the same flight with me?"

Im telling you. I get lucky with this stuff.

Anyway, feel like I have a blind date Thursday. I wonder who will sit next to me. I hope she is emotionally independent, adventurous, kind hearted, and has a pretty smile.
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 17:37
I realize i'm probably also selecting myself out of the seats women my age would probably sit in as I've got elite status on the airlines i usually fly and generally am up front (or when i'm lucky, upgraded to first).

atlmba2009 wrote:
egy wrote:
Aside from the fact that I'm married, I don't think I've ever sat next to a woman +/- 5 years of my age other than my wife. Maybe once or twice... and I travel a lot. Where are you guys flying that this happens so often?

My thoughts exactly. I usually get stuck next to a plus-size fifty-something with a whooping cough. I guess so much depends on where you are flying. Flying to Vegas or Miami => Odds = Good. Flying to Kansas City or Newark => Odds = Not so much.
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 17:40
That's a hilarious story. Speaking of attractive famous young women sitting next to me on airplanes, I sat next to Ariana Huffington a few months ago.... oh wait.

irishspring wrote:
hahahah. no.

She was going to see her boyfriend.

I can't believe I didnt mention this story though. I promise it's true.

I was flying from Hawaii. Well I get on flight, and am sitting almost in the back. Well, before I got on flight I notice this girl at the bar. And she looks incredibly familiar. She is very attractive.

Before I go on, I promise this is true.

Well I get on flight, and she ends up sitting right across aisle from me. To my left are two high school girls who have drank too much, and were pretty sick.

I start talking to girl across from aisle, and her voice all but confirms it. I am nearly positive it is her. For whatever reason, I dont ask her name. This girl is drinking quite a bit. She asks me to keep up with her. I run out of money. So she buys me a beer. We talk rest of flight drinking.

Who was the girl? 90 percent sure it was Tara Reid.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 17:42
egy wrote:
I realize i'm probably also selecting myself out of the seats women my age would probably sit in as I've got elite status on the airlines i usually fly and generally am up front (or when i'm lucky, upgraded to first).

atlmba2009 wrote:
egy wrote:
Aside from the fact that I'm married, I don't think I've ever sat next to a woman +/- 5 years of my age other than my wife. Maybe once or twice... and I travel a lot. Where are you guys flying that this happens so often?

My thoughts exactly. I usually get stuck next to a plus-size fifty-something with a whooping cough. I guess so much depends on where you are flying. Flying to Vegas or Miami => Odds = Good. Flying to Kansas City or Newark => Odds = Not so much.

I am around your age (I think) and typically get upgraded as well. And never sit next to anybody under 45 or even single :lol:
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2008, 19:18
irishspring wrote:
I was flying from Hawaii. Well I get on flight, and am sitting almost in the back. Well, before I got on flight I notice this girl at the bar. And she looks incredibly familiar. She is very attractive.

Who was the girl? 90 percent sure it was Tara Reid.

Very attractive and Tara Reid are mutually exclusive of one another IMO. Maybe it's the fact that she's dumb as a rock. Like, oh my god...
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2008, 19:18