Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:07
This post received
KUDOS
The point of most of the pick up stuff is to 'polarize' the person, aka it will take a guy who normally intrigues say 10% of the girls he meets, irritates 10%, and is 'just another guy' for 80%, and make him into someone who irritates 50% but intrigues 20% (and is therefore arguably twice as successful). All depends if that trade-off is worth it for you.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
bostonsparky wrote:
The point of most of the pick up stuff is to 'polarize' the person, aka it will take a guy who normally intrigues say 10% of the girls he meets, irritates 10%, and is 'just another guy' for 80%, and make him into someone who irritates 50% but intrigues 20% (and is therefore arguably twice as successful). All depends if that trade-off is worth it for you.

From what I've seen, yes, he is a touch more successful at opening conversations than he was before. However, he generally continues on with his Mystery Method and never really cuts out of it. After 5-10 minutes, the girls usually just think he's a jerk. Not to mention, he really annoys most of his friends (like me).

If you just use those gimmicky pick-up lines to start a conversation - fine. If it's ingrained in you that you *must* behave a certain way and it's not coming naturally - you're just going to be super awkward.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:18
I am a desi Thakur Max motiwalla in my own right.. people from the indian sub-continent can relate to what i am saying..

i got some real good desi pick up line... If you dont know what Desi means, well you better when you get to B-school.. you will be surrounded by them!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
agold wrote:
From what I've seen, yes, he is a touch more successful at opening conversations than he was before. However, he generally continues on with his Mystery Method and never really cuts out of it. After 5-10 minutes, the girls usually just think he's a jerk. Not to mention, he really annoys most of his friends (like me).

If you just use those gimmicky pick-up lines to start a conversation - fine. If it's ingrained in you that you *must* behave a certain way and it's not coming naturally - you're just going to be super awkward.

Agreed, I feel being that kind of guy sabotages you too much in other areas to be worth it. Something that hasn't been brought up yet is also the plethora of good wingmen/wingwomen that will be available in Bschool. People who will know how to network/introduce people etc, can immediately vouch that you have your sh*t together and will approach situations from a perspective similar to yours (aka, logically). The married/taken classmates can be especially useful in this regard since it will give them a chance to live vicariously through you. Picking up a couple floozies is definitely not worth alienating said peers, IMHO.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:40
irishspring,

Do u also go by the name 'convoluted signal'?

Traffic never sleeps...

SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:52
I am one of those married wingmen that *helps* my friends out. Best birthday present I ever gave my best friend was a 5' 4" redhead 1L from my law school I met when I was a mentor for the incoming class. It's been 4 years and he still laughs about it and thanks me.

Some of you from a city or that don't hunt may find this reference funny. When i got the bar with her and introduced her to my friend, another friend of ours said "So, did you bird-dog this one for him?"

bostonsparky wrote:
agold wrote:

Agreed, I feel being that kind of guy sabotages you too much in other areas to be worth it. Something that hasn't been brought up yet is also the plethora of good wingmen/wingwomen that will be available in Bschool. People who will know how to network/introduce people etc, can immediately vouch that you have your sh*t together and will approach situations from a perspective similar to yours (aka, logically). The married/taken classmates can be especially useful in this regard since it will give them a chance to live vicariously through you. Picking up a couple floozies is definitely not worth alienating said peers, IMHO.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Ross, Cornell ($), Kellogg, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley ($$)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 09:57
bostonsparky wrote:
agold wrote:

this is exactly right. the best asset for a guy is a good wingwoman who can help. girls send all kinds of signals out for men, so a good female friend helps a lot.

scripted pick-up lines just make you seem like you are pretty inexperienced and therefore, socially awkward. unless you have the right personality (and that depends on the approach) to pull stuff off without sounding fake/immature/creepy.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 2

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 10:09
This post received
KUDOS
Those pickup line gurus are completely retarded. Any guy who uses pickup lines and succeeds would have succeeded anyway with plain discourse. Conversely, there is no pickup line in the world that is going to get somebody with no game and no confidence hot girls. Well, short of telling her you play in the NFL or NBA.

While I'm on the subject, I saw this video on the side-pane in YouTube when I was viewing the previously posted one, and had to share. I don't know whether to laugh at this or be fearful that there are probably swarms of guys taking this advice to heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSXYdmOn ... re=related
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 10:28
agold wrote:
Agreed. I had a friend who got sucked into that stuff and he was truly more awkward and annoying to be around than anything.

Was his name Johnny 'Drama' Chase by any chance?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 10:31
Thou shall not talk crap abt Johny Drama!

sonibubu wrote:

Was his name Johnny 'Drama' Chase by any chance?

Traffic never sleeps...

2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [2] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
bostonsparky wrote:
Indeed, I know girls like to say a similar quote about guys being like parking spaces.

What exactly do these girls say about guys being like parking spaces?
Girls: "Guys are like parking spaces. We all secretly wish we had a handicapped one?"

:-D
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:06
To be clear, I watch the Pick Up Artist, promise myself I will use the techniques, then, without fail, fall back on my old friends Whiskey and Soda. Ah, alcohol, the cause of (and solution to) all of life's problems.

A good wingwoman is worth her weight in gold. More, usually.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:09
solaris1 wrote:
Girls: "Guys are like parking spaces. We all secretly wish we had a handicapped one?"

ROFL

Wow, this post (maybe just solaris1) is getting more and more politically incorrect. I like it. where do you come up with this stuff.
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:13
In the words of Shakespeare (or not) a facetious thread doth requires a facetious response. I'm all for moving this to Off-Topic.

And in case anyone is even the slightest bit offended, I was being VERY tongue in cheek.

So...

"Don't Praet me, bro!"
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:16
U sure about that solaris1? I was officially offended. I do support you moving this thread to off-topic though! Although the presence of Praetorian does legitamize the existing of this thread.

Traffic never sleeps...

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:23
Instead of PUA crap, you could just try The Naked Man.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:28
solaris1 wrote:
In the words of Shakespeare (or not) a facetious thread doth requires a facetious response. I'm all for moving this to Off-Topic.

And in case anyone is even the slightest bit offended, I was being VERY tongue in cheek.

So...

"Don't Praet me, bro!"

Yup, you are going in the direction of someone else I know. Keep going until the wall hits you in the face and you get praeted. :-)

the thread is fine. a little fun is no problem.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:44
Praet, I love playing the devils advocate (maybe I have been watching "the practice" way too much), Sol knows that i was kiddin! :-D

Traffic never sleeps...

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:53
i assume that MBA/JD mixers are pretty common...usually JD students are a couple of years younger as they tend to come right out of undergrad. i see a lot of potential here.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 430 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 11:57
You might find a few women in law school that think there is something wrong with a person that "only" goes into business. I've seen some people have the idea such as "Well, you're doing business. It's not like you have to pass an exam to be licensed to practice business." Just be prepared to meet some jerks. Mainly the guys trying to "protect" the women law students from any other grad student intruders.

msday86 wrote:
i assume that MBA/JD mixers are pretty common...usually JD students are a couple of years younger as they tend to come right out of undergrad. i see a lot of potential here.

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Odds of meeting your spouse at MBA   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2008, 11:57