Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 11:23

Happy Labor Day:

Free Access to New GMATClub Tests for all GMATClub Members!!

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the major developments in information technology that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Affiliations: UWC
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V33
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.43
WE: Engineering (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 09:57
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

8% (01:42) correct 92% (00:51) wrong based on 290 sessions
Of all the major developments in information technology that have influenced literary production, maybe none is more influential as the printing press, which brought the entire classical canon to people throughout Europe within 60 years of its invention.

A maybe none is more influential as
B it may be that none is more influential as
C perhaps it is none that is more influential than
D maybe it is none that was more influential than
E perhaps none was more influential than
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1560 [0], given: 249

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 10:36
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
First method. ; split is vs was. The printing press was very influential certainly, when it came into being. Therefore, it entails a past tense. Now no one can say whether it is still as influencial. So all is verb choices are out. With A, B, C, D gone, only E is left.

Second method. Split than vs as, than is required because it is comparative degree. C, D, E remain . Drop C and D for using present tense. E survives

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 14:18
I came to the conclusion of (E) as well

What I noticed is Answer choices B-D contains "it" which to me indicated was it talking about developments or literary productions which does not make any sense so those choices were eliminated.

Between A & E, I chose (E) mainly because it sounded better than (A) when putting it all together.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 6 Year, Telecom(GSM)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 27 May 2012, 23:06
Answer should be E.In my view in option D "it is none " is adding redundancy to the sentence.Shifting from present to past is also making the sentence odd in D.

Consider KUDOS if You find it good

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 09:23
i also think E should be answer...first is as vs than split....
nd "it" is also ambiguous...
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.98

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 19

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 31 May 2012, 18:13
I picked E as well based on "than" split and construction. OA appears to be D? Is this right?

If I did make a valid point, would you please consider giving me a kudo. Thanks.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 4

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2012, 01:48
I also chose E..someone please through light why D is correct here. :S

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 22:18
IMO also E.. Can someone please share the OA..

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-25-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 02:49
Can someone please explain OA....I choose E as my answer but OA is D, please explain anybody ...
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 32 [2] , given: 4

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 06:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Of all the major developments in information technology that have influenced literary production, maybe none is more influential as the printing press, which brought the entire classical canon to people throughout Europe within 60 years of its invention.

[/quote]

[quote="magicmanisha wrote:
Can someone please explain OA....I choose E as my answer but OA is D, please explain anybody ...

Here are my two cents after learning a few things in the past..

First and foremost, in the original sentence there is a comparison between "major developments in information technology" and "printing press". What is wrong here?
Comparing major development and printing press is wrong. Also, there is an error of Idiom "influential as" is wrong.

Why E is wrong - "none" was more influential than is incorrect because here "none" refers to one type of development and is being compared with "printing press"
For example, instead of using none, lets use "one". Then "one" type of development is compared with "printing press". It is same error as it is there in the original sentence.

Why D is correct - First, the past tense is correct here as the original sentence is talking about some past influences.
Second, "none" here doesn't refer back to the developments. It is making a statement that "it was none" which can be compared to "printing press".

Learning here is that you should take care in comparing things.
For example, "The recent discovery by the scientist is similar to the Atom bomb" - is wrong.
"The recent discovery by the scientist is similar to the discovery of Atom bomb" - right!

Just trying to help you with some examples, although they are not perfect.
Hope this helps!

FOCUS..this is all I need!

Ku-Do!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 09:59
more influential as is incorrect, so A & B can be eliminated.

E looks like the best answer, can the OP post the OA?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT Date: 11-25-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2012, 10:36
Thanks dexerash, make sense now :)

dexerash wrote:

First and foremost, in the original sentence there is a comparison between "major developments in information technology" and "printing press". What is wrong here?
Comparing major development and printing press is wrong. Also, there is an error of Idiom "influential as" is wrong.

Why E is wrong - "none" was more influential than is incorrect because here "none" refers to one type of development and is being compared with "printing press"
For example, instead of using none, lets use "one". Then "one" type of development is compared with "printing press". It is same error as it is there in the original sentence.

Why D is correct - First, the past tense is correct here as the original sentence is talking about some past influences.
Second, "none" here doesn't refer back to the developments. It is making a statement that "it was none" which can be compared to "printing press".

For example, "The recent discovery by the scientist is similar to the Atom bomb" - is wrong.
"The recent discovery by the scientist is similar to the discovery of Atom bomb" - right!

Hope this helps![/quote]
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 23

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 00:49
magicmanisha wrote:
Thanks dexerash, make sense now :)

dexerash wrote:

Hope this helps!
[/quote]

I think the posted OA is incorrect.

D says "it is none.. that was" the use of is and was in the same sentence is awkward, moreover "it is" is redundant.
I also disagree with the explanation above. I think "none" and "printing press" correctly refer to a singular noun, followed by a correct SV agreement "was".
when we say "of all the major developments" it is usually followed by a collective noun or a singular noun, there's no restriction here, but we only have to stick with the correct nouns.

Struggling: make or break attempt

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 397

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 00:28
Can someone explain the main different between PERHAPS and MAYBE?

I thought that perhaps should always be umployed over maybe ... Making the OA really strange here...

Thanks!

Think outside the box

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, International Business
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 19

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2013, 07:14
I also chose E. It has the right tense and compares the printing press with other IT. If it is wrong, I would appreciate another explanation.

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 291

Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 18:35
OA is E guys. The OA has been wrongly posted. Please refer to this link. quot-of-all-the-major-developments-in-information-technology-143540.html
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 254

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that [#permalink] New post 07 May 2014, 07:31
Wtf? D is totally wrong here.

OA is E as mentioned above

Please correct the OA will ya?

Thanks!
Cheers
J :)
Re: Of all the major developments in information technology that   [#permalink] 07 May 2014, 07:31