Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the photographs taken of him at his wedding there was

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 0

Of all the photographs taken of him at his wedding there was [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 03:41
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Of all the photographs taken of him at his wedding there was one that John and his friends sharply disagreed about. His friends all said that this particular picture did not much resemble him, but John said that on the contrary it was the only photograph that did.

Which one of the following, if true, about the photograph most helps to explain John’s disagreement with his friends?

(A) It, unlike the other photographs of John, showed him in the style of dress he and his friends usually wear rather than the formal clothes he wore at the ceremony.

(B) It was the only photograph taken of John at his wedding for which the photographer had used a flash.

(C) It was a black-and-white photograph, whereas the other photographs that showed John were mostly color photographs.

(D) It was unique in showing John’s face reflected in a mirror, the photographer having taken the photograph over John’s shoulder.

(E) It was one of only a few taken at the wedding that showed no one but John.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 03:46
(A) It, unlike the other photographs of John, showed him in the style of dress he and his friends usually wear rather than the formal clothes he wore at the ceremony.
- I'll go with (A). Their difference lies in the interpretation of the word 'resemble'. To john's friends, he looked different (formal dressing) but to John, there is resemblence because his looks has not changed

(B) It was the only photograph taken of John at his wedding for which the photographer had used a flash.
- out of scope

(C) It was a black-and-white photograph, whereas the other photographs that showed John were mostly color photographs.
- out of scope

(D) It was unique in showing John’s face eflected in a mirror, the photographer having taken the photograph over John’s shoulder.
- Can't explain the difference

(E) It was one of only a few taken at the wedding that showed no one but John.
- Out of scope too

(A) it is
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 08:18
A. it is the only which is talking abt his friends and him in the same context..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 10:04
harshi wrote:
Why can't D be answer ?

Being unique doesn't mean you don't resemble your normal self or your original looks. These are really the issue that John and his friends don't agree at - that is, the meaning of 'resemblence'
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 11:58
D doesn't talk about his friends and resemblance at all.!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 12:35
i think it is C
[purely technical, but they say that black and white pictures emphasize different aspects of a person when compared to a color picture]
A is not right in my opinion because it seems to say that the one picture in which he wore normal (regular) clothes, his friends said it didnt look like him (assumingly when compared to him in formal clothes)
shouldnt his friends be more likely to think that picture, with A's given criteria, would look more like J and not unlike him?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 17:52
D? he views himself in a mirror always.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 18:20
Rupstar wrote:
i think it is C
[purely technical, but they say that black and white pictures emphasize different aspects of a person when compared to a color picture]
A is not right in my opinion because it seems to say that the one picture in which he wore normal (regular) clothes, his friends said it didnt look like him (assumingly when compared to him in formal clothes)
shouldnt his friends be more likely to think that picture, with A's given criteria, would look more like J and not unlike him?

Rupstar, the difference between a black and a white photo was not stated in the main passage. You can't import knowledge and apply them to your answers. The GMAT doesn't allow that. CR and RC passages are written in such a way you do not need to be an expert in any field to answer the questions. All questions should be answered, based on what you're told in the passage.

In my opinion, (A) is not wrong. John interpretes resemblence as 'looking similar' while his friends interpretes resemblence as 'not looking like your normal self'. John might dress shabily whenever he meets up with his friends, and so when he dresses formally for his wedding, he might look different in the eyes of his friends.

I'll stick with (A).

OA please ?
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 19:25
I just can say, unfortunately, OA is not A.

please keep up.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 19:55
it's gotta be "D"........the phrase by John that "this is the only one that resembles him" shows that there is no ambiguity here as the reflection of a person can't lie abt one's identity, it has to match that person i.e. has to resemble him no matter how many ppl disagree that the photo doesn't resemble him.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 23:02
Agree with D..

Logic: his friends don't think it is Jhon's because the features could have got laterally reversed :? (left became right and right became left :wink:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 0

Re: CR030207--photograph [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 09:22
Disagreement: Friends think the picture doesn't resemble him. John said that it is the only one that resemble him.

I'm choosing D. John only seems himself on the mirror. The pictures of him are the same views that his friends see, but the picture of his mirror image is what he sees.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 10:55
It is D for me. John probably always sees himself that way, as he mostly sees himself in the mirror!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 17:01
HongHu : That was just another gem of an explanation.....That was truely brilliant
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 17:22
wow... mirror image.. quite an explanation. But I'm interested in the OE if there's any :-D
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 17:51
i am curious to know the OE.. its very interesting if it is D!!!
VP
VP

[#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2005, 17:54
Thanks all

OA is D. Sorry for no OE.
  [#permalink] 17 Mar 2005, 17:54