Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 06:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the photographs taken of him at his wedding there was

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 119 [3] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Of all the photographs taken of him at his wedding there was [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 15:22
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

51% (02:13) correct 49% (01:06) wrong based on 92 sessions
Of all the photographs taken of him at his wedding there was one that John and his friends sharply disagreed about. His friends all said that this particular picture did not much resemble him, but John said that on the contrary it was the only photograph that did.

Which one of the following, if true, about the photograph most helps to explain John’s disagreement with his friends?

(A) It, unlike the other photographs of John, showed him in the style of dress he and his friends usually wear rather than the formal clothes he wore at the ceremony.
(B) It was the only photograph taken of John at his wedding for which the photographer had used a flash.
(C) It was a black-and-white photograph, whereas the other photographs that showed John were mostly color photographs.
(D) It was unique in showing John’s face reflected in a mirror, the photographer having taken the photograph over John’s shoulder.
(E) It was one of only a few taken at the wedding that showed no one but John.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 18:17
IMO A
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 19:34
Too vague!

I guess C.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 01:07
Guess it is A

B) This talks about the flash, not the way john appears
c) It says that the picture is one of the black and white photographs that had john in them
D) This talks about the way picture was taken
E) This is one of the few solo pictures of john
A) by POE and argument says that the picture resembles him more than other pictures in which he was in formals.

So my choice is A

What is the OA??
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 03:09
What is the answer?

Consider kudos for good post.

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 32 [3] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 10:56
This post received
KUDOS
I'm going with D.

(A) It, unlike the other photographs of John, showed him in the style of dress he and his friends usually wear rather than the formal clothes he wore at the ceremony. --his friends wouldn't argue with him if this is the case since they would recognize his style of dress.
(B) It was the only photograph taken of John at his wedding for which the photographer had used a flash. -flash wouldn't make a difference...
(C) It was a black-and-white photograph, whereas the other photographs that showed John were mostly color photographs. -black/white wouldn't make a difference either
(D) It was unique in showing John’s face reflected in a mirror, the photographer having taken the photograph over John’s shoulder. - picking this one because his friends are used to look at him directly, while john can only look at himself in the mirror(reversed - left is right, right is left)
(E) It was one of only a few taken at the wedding that showed no one but John. -one of only a few...so there are others that they might argue about
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 14:14
I go with D.

John is most familiar with the look he sees of himself in the mirror. His friends are not.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 20:14
i think its A..

Its more a question of your personality being portrayed by the photo in my opinion...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 21:24
D for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 06:36
Great question

B and C are surely out.

Confused on A.

IMO D
Logic used - There is something about the pic that only John can associate with and his friends cant.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 22:26
D sounds logical
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 182 [1] , given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 22:54
This post received
KUDOS
sprtng wrote:
I'm going with D.

(A) It, unlike the other photographs of John, showed him in the style of dress he and his friends usually wear rather than the formal clothes he wore at the ceremony. --his friends wouldn't argue with him if this is the case since they would recognize his style of dress.
(B) It was the only photograph taken of John at his wedding for which the photographer had used a flash. -flash wouldn't make a difference...
(C) It was a black-and-white photograph, whereas the other photographs that showed John were mostly color photographs. -black/white wouldn't make a difference either
(D) It was unique in showing John’s face reflected in a mirror, the photographer having taken the photograph over John’s shoulder. - picking this one because his friends are used to look at him directly, while john can only look at himself in the mirror(reversed - left is right, right is left)
(E) It was one of only a few taken at the wedding that showed no one but John. -one of only a few...so there are others that they might argue about

Nice catch!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 05:00
OA is D. official LSAT test question!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 05:09
Nice question! totally bumped me

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 05:33
A
It is the only one comparing John and his friends usual habits to the wedding night
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2009, 05:34
ohh vow.. thanks for the explanation
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2009, 11:43
bipolarbear wrote:
Of all the photographs taken of him at his wedding there was one that John and his friends sharply disagreed about. His friends all said that this particular picture did not much resemble him, but John said that on the contrary it was the only photograph that did.

Which one of the following, if true, about the photograph most helps to explain John’s disagreement with his friends?

(A) It, unlike the other photographs of John, showed him in the style of dress he and his friends usually wear rather than the formal clothes he wore at the ceremony.
(B) It was the only photograph taken of John at his wedding for which the photographer had used a flash.
(C) It was a black-and-white photograph, whereas the other photographs that showed John were mostly color photographs.
(D) It was unique in showing John’s face reflected in a mirror, the photographer having taken the photograph over John’s shoulder.
(E) It was one of only a few taken at the wedding that showed no one but John.

Nice question . Well all the answer choices except D looks like each other. I guess the angle the friends of John when taking the picture was different from his so there exists difference when evaluating whether or not it fits the John.

Please give kudos if you enjoy the explanations that I have given. Thanks :)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 18:46
wow this is an amazing quesiton .... i would have never answered this a D ..

BTW if this question were to appear in the actual test , would this be a 700+ question ??

Also , this being a LSAT question (I am unsure about what is LSAT, since I am an Asian...all i know is LSAT is an exam which has a tough CR section) do you guys think someone aiming for 720+ should refer to LSAT questions ?? Since I have already exhausted my OG10/11/112 and kaplan800 and 20 days to go for my exam... please advice ....

Regards,
Saaquib

If you find any grammatical mistake in my post please don't hesitate in pointing out.

Please +1 if you find this post useful.

My Blog

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 19:36
Sure D on this one. One can never see one's own face except in a mirror. And thats why John thinks that this picture resembles him since he is used to seeing himself only in a mirror. All his friends see him face-to-face regularly, so they must be seeing some subtle differences, which John is not seeing.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10] [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 07:57
D seems to be the answer. John's friends see him often in good or bad light (so flash wouldn't matter) but they never see him in a mirror. John is the only one who sees himself in a mirror. So, he would be familiar with what he looks like but only with the aid of a mirror. His friends on the other hand would not know that. In other words, John perceives himself differently from how his friends perceive him. Why? Because of the mirror.
Re: Resolve the paradox [Diff. 8/10]   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2009, 07:57