Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 185
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [1] , given: 103

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 18:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

83% (01:42) correct 17% (00:41) wrong based on 59 sessions
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

Say option C is "perhaps it was none that was more concentrated than" - I believe tense wise it is correct. correct me if wrong

Guys my question is what's wrong with C,D(purely from IT prospective). as the explanation tells for sentences like 'It is clear that'...IT acts as a place holder . How different is the current construction.


Gurus can u please put some laws where IT acts as a placeholder and where IT acts like a pronoun.

No points for guessing ans. (OG12/Q4)
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 521
Followers: 218

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 5

Re: Of All the vast tides- IT as placegolder v/s IT as pronoun [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 19:16
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

Say option C is "perhaps it was none that was more concentrated than" - I believe tense wise it is correct. correct me if wrong

Guys my question is what's wrong with C,D(purely from IT prospective). as the explanation tells for sentences like 'It is clear that'...IT acts as a place holder . How different is the current construction.


Gurus can u please put some laws where IT acts as a placeholder and where IT acts like a pronoun.

No points for guessing ans. (OG12/Q4)


Your example "It is clear" is a perfectly logical (though I would be interested to see some examples from the OG where that construction is used). The issue with answers C & D has more to do with concision than pronouns. "it is none" and "none" have the same meaning (though you would argue that "it is none" is awkward). Since the meaning can be conveyed more concisely (and more clearly) with "none", you will eliminate the answer choices using "it is none".

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 185
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 103

Re: Of All the vast tides- IT as placegolder v/s IT as pronoun [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2012, 20:02
KyleWiddison wrote:
Your example "It is clear" is a perfectly logical (though I would be interested to see some examples from the OG where that construction is used). The issue with answers C & D has more to do with concision than pronouns. "it is none" and "none" have the same meaning (though you would argue that "it is none" is awkward). Since the meaning can be conveyed more concisely (and more clearly) with "none", you will eliminate the answer choices using "it is none".

KW


Thkx a lot for reply. Yes I do agree from concision point we can eliminate C,D.(Even I did the same).
But still i m not yet sure why for option C and D OG said IT does not have correct antecedent. My question is which are the cases where I should search for an antecedent of IT and which are the cases where i can ignore for checking pronoun issue.
_________________

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 211
Location: India
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Of All the vast tides- IT as placegolder v/s IT as pronoun [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2012, 02:01
1
This post received
KUDOS
lets draw an anlogy :

We want to say : Many answers were posted on the forums .................. not a single one was satisfactory

Putting it in Gmat form : Of all the answer posts that have swept through Gmatclub forum, .......................... ( What will we fill in the blank to complete the sentence in a logical way?) : lets check

B : ..............It may be that none is satisfactory

C : ..............It is none that is satisfactory

D : ..............It is none that was satisfactory

Does B / C / D at all makes sense ( keping aside Grammar rules / pronoun ambiguity / tense prob etc ) .........

Does it in any way appears / sounds better and can score over A n E

Guess NO = Thus B / C / D Elimination zone

Left with E n A : just a minor adjustment in tense ( Such as WAS in E ) will complete the logical flow

E : ..............None was satisfactory : WAS scores over IS
A : ..............None is satisfactory = Eliminated

Leading to E , my take
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 521
Followers: 218

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 5

Re: Of All the vast tides- IT as placegolder v/s IT as pronoun [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2012, 05:52
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
KyleWiddison wrote:
Your example "It is clear" is a perfectly logical (though I would be interested to see some examples from the OG where that construction is used). The issue with answers C & D has more to do with concision than pronouns. "it is none" and "none" have the same meaning (though you would argue that "it is none" is awkward). Since the meaning can be conveyed more concisely (and more clearly) with "none", you will eliminate the answer choices using "it is none".

KW


Thkx a lot for reply. Yes I do agree from concision point we can eliminate C,D.(Even I did the same).
But still i m not yet sure why for option C and D OG said IT does not have correct antecedent. My question is which are the cases where I should search for an antecedent of IT and which are the cases where i can ignore for checking pronoun issue.


That is the explanation I would expect from the GMAT. For pronoun issues, the GMAT is surprisingly tolerant of pronoun ambiguity (having multiple possible antecedants but one most likely antecedant) but the GMAt doesn't like when no antecedant exists, like in this example. That is why I asked if you had OG examples where "it" was used as a placeholder. I'm not familiar with OG problems that used "it" without a recongizable antecedant.

When you see "it" in a sentence, you should check for the antecedant to see 1) if there is one 2) if it's logical 3) if it agrees in number. I woldn't worry about "it" as a placeholder.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Jul 2011
Posts: 185
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 103

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2012, 07:00
@Kyle,
I got one example where OG uses IT as placeholder.(Correct me if wrong) OG12#52 .

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.

Also in the correct option D they are using IT as placeholder

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

Now Kyle my question still remains unanswered is there any structure where I can rest in peace that IT will not have any antecedent.

Waiting for ur valuable inputs.
_________________

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 521
Followers: 218

Kudos [?]: 329 [1] , given: 5

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2012, 11:09
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sujit2k7 wrote:
@Kyle,
I got one example where OG uses IT as placeholder.(Correct me if wrong) OG12#52 .

To Josephine Baker, Paris was her home long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, and she remained in France during the Second World War as a performer and an intelligence agent for the Resistance.

Also in the correct option D they are using IT as placeholder

D. Long before it was fashionable to be an expatriate, Josephine Baker made Paris her home

Now Kyle my question still remains unanswered is there any structure where I can rest in peace that IT will not have any antecedent.

Waiting for ur valuable inputs.


Excellent example - thanks for sharing it across.

In rare cases you may see the GMAT use a placeholder "it" to place awkward subjects or objects later in the sentence. These placeholder "it" situations are fairly easy to spot because "it" will be sitting in the first position as the subject or object instead of appearling later on in the sentence after the antecedent (subject/object).

Placeholder It situations:

It was faster to walk home than to wait for the bus. [infinitive subject now appears at the end of the sentence]
It was hard knowing that we lost the game because we were lazy. [that-clause subject now appears at the end]
The monsoon rains made it possible for us to canoe in our backyard [infinitive subject appears at end].

Normal Pronoun It situations
The business had to close because it ran out of cash. [replacing the subject]
I love that dog because it never barks at night. [replacing the object]

Again, placeholder it situations are rare, but as you pointed out they can appear in a GMAT sentence!

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2012, 11:09
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through Deepro 6 29 Nov 2013, 07:30
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through dhler 7 29 Mar 2013, 03:35
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through gtr022001 16 06 Dec 2010, 23:33
All the firms have a panel of brokers through whom they lav 3 21 Mar 2009, 00:05
All, I have access to the online Kaplan course through whartongmatprep 1 20 Jun 2006, 09:29
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.