Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 05:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 03:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

93% (01:38) correct 6% (00:33) wrong based on 49 sessions
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

----------------
The answer is not disputable. However, I have different opinions about the OG's explanation. "It is ... that/who..." can be used to emphasize a part of a sentence, although I don't know how to name this use of "it". For example, "It is Tom that/who did this horrible thing."

In this question, it is clear that the writer doesn't want to emphasize "none", so the choices with "it is ... that ..." structure are wrong.

The next thing that I am confused with is the use of past tense in E. Why the simple present tense is wrong? For example,
"Of all the apples my mom has given to me, none is more delicious than the one she gave to me yesterday."
Is the use of the simple present tense correct in the above example?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 290
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 85

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 04:10
dhler wrote:
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto
American shores in little more than three decades.

(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated
than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated
than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

----------------
The answer is not disputable. However, I have different opinions about the OG's explanation. "It is ... that/who..." can be used to emphasize a part of a sentence, although I don't know how to name this use of "it". For example, "It is Tom that/who did this horrible thing."

In this question, it is clear that the writer doesn't want to emphasize "none", so the choices with "it is ... that ..." structure are wrong.

The next thing that I am confused with is the use of past tense in E. Why the simple present tense is wrong? For example,
"Of all the apples my mom has given to me, none is more delicious than the one she gave to me yesterday."
Is the use of the simple present tense correct in the above example?


In my opinion, we are comparing two events that both occured in the past

First event : the vast tides of migration that have swept through history

Second event : the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.

So, we must use the simple past to render this comparaison logical.
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 04:43
Even if we are comparing two past events, the comparison itself is actually eternal, i.e. it is always true, isn't it? That's why I think the simple present should be right.

Rock750 wrote:

In my opinion, we are comparing two events that both occured in the past

First event : the vast tides of migration that have swept through history

Second event : the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.

So, we must use the simple past to render this comparaison logical.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 290
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 85

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2013, 07:13
dhler wrote:
Even if we are comparing two past events, the comparison itself is actually eternal, i.e. it is always true, isn't it? That's why I think the simple present should be right.

Rock750 wrote:

In my opinion, we are comparing two events that both occured in the past

First event : the vast tides of migration that have swept through history

Second event : the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.

So, we must use the simple past to render this comparaison logical.


It's not.

For instance : which of the following is correct in your opinion ?

Of the football players that marked the history, none was better known than Diego Maradonna.

Of the football players that marked the history, none is better known than Diego Maradonna.

We are clearly talking about history, so we must use past tense to emphasize that this comparaison is only valid for the football players who played before and who marked the history.
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 01:41
Rock750 wrote:
dhler wrote:
Even if we are comparing two past events, the comparison itself is actually eternal, i.e. it is always true, isn't it? That's why I think the simple present should be right.

Rock750 wrote:

In my opinion, we are comparing two events that both occured in the past

First event : the vast tides of migration that have swept through history

Second event : the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.

So, we must use the simple past to render this comparaison logical.


It's not.

For instance : which of the following is correct in your opinion ?

Of the football players that marked the history, none was better known than Diego Maradonna.

Of the football players that marked the history, none is better known than Diego Maradonna.

We are clearly talking about history, so we must use past tense to emphasize that this comparaison is only valid for the football players who played before and who marked the history.


To me the first sentence means that it is a comparison that no longer is true. However, the second means that the comparison is still true that no one is better than Diego Maradonna.

So, in the original sentence, if we use past tense, I think that the comparison is no longer true. However, the present perfect tense is used in the beginning preposition phrase. That tense should tell us that the comparison is still true.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Final Lap
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 290
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Oxford
GPA: 3.54
WE: Project Management (Retail Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 85

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 05:29
Yes totally but both Maradonna and football players that marked the history no longer play today and that's why people nowadays are not likely to know them more than people who were there to watch them. Furthermore, we cannot use present tense because we don't know if this comparaison is still true as you pointed out whereas with the use of past tense, we are sure that the sentence make sense :)
_________________

KUDOS is the good manner to help the entire community.

"If you don't change your life, your life will change you"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 474
Location: India
GPA: 2.5
WE: Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 59

GMAT Tests User
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2013, 08:33
Mates, both events are referring past...but have swept is present perfect, which means effect still continues in present. With regards to simple present tense in next clause, because of the use of "may be/perhaps" we cannot state a fact using simple present. So I believe best option is to use past in choice E.
This is my understanding

Hope this helps
_________________

"When the going gets tough, the tough gets going!"

Bring ON SOME KUDOS MATES+++



-----------------------------
Quant Notes consolidated: consolodited-quant-guides-of-forum-most-helpful-in-preps-151067.html#p1217652

My GMAT journey begins: my-gmat-journey-begins-122251.html

All about Richard Ivey: all-about-richard-ivey-148594.html#p1190518

Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 Mar 2013
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 01:16
Thank you very much, sdas and Rock750. I get it now.
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through   [#permalink] 31 Mar 2013, 01:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts All, I have access to the online Kaplan course through whartongmatprep 1 20 Jun 2006, 09:29
New posts All the firms have a panel of brokers through whom they lav 3 21 Mar 2009, 00:05
Popular new posts 4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through gtr022001 16 06 Dec 2010, 23:33
New posts 3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through BukrsGmat 6 29 Aug 2012, 18:26
New posts 2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through Deepro 4 29 Nov 2013, 07:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.