Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jun 2016, 09:55
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Would you select option (C) as your answer?

You may select 1 option
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 04 Aug 2012
Posts: 3
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 14

GMAT ToolKit User
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 08:30
2
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

86% (01:39) correct 14% (01:05) wrong based on 353 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.
(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Aug 2013
Posts: 6
Schools: ISB '15 (S)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 7

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 08:49
2
This post received
KUDOS
I think the answer is E

My logic- As the sentence is talking about a wave that happened in the past, so you have to use past tense to signify the change in tone.

See example maybe this helps:
Of all of Maroon5 performances, none was as memorable as the one performed at the Emmy's. ( Correct tense usage)
Of all the Maroon 5 performances none is as memorable as the one performed as the Emmy's ( Sounds weird, right ?)

Hope it helps!
Expert Post
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2933
Followers: 676

Kudos [?]: 5359 [0], given: 941

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 13:17
Expert's post
you could pick the right answer considering only the vern tense "was"

the event happens in the past, completely. So the other answer choices that use the verb in the present tense "is" are wrong

regards
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2013
Posts: 81
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 22:00
Yup all I looked at when I did this question for the first time (it's in the OG of course) was the tense. Did a split using the tense and went with E as the answer. Would never go with C. Apart from the incorrect tense it is also verbose - 'it is none that is'.
_________________

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2012
Posts: 804
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 603 [1] , given: 5

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2013, 23:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Deepro wrote:
My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?


Yeah, that "it is none" phrase should have been a major red flag for you. "It" doesn't have a clear referent and you won't see the GMAT use that phrasing in a correct answer.

I can see how you might be getting confused with the verb tense. The present perfect is used not to show that each wave is still "currently" sweeping, but rather the present perfect is used to show that waves of migration continue to "sweep" through history. The wave that is discussed in this question has come and gone, so we use the past tense to describe that wave.

KW
_________________


Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah


Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile



Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2014
Posts: 20
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 06:00
KyleWiddison wrote:
Deepro wrote:
My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?


Yeah, that "it is none" phrase should have been a major red flag for you. "It" doesn't have a clear referent and you won't see the GMAT use that phrasing in a correct answer.

I can see how you might be getting confused with the verb tense. The present perfect is used not to show that each wave is still "currently" sweeping, but rather the present perfect is used to show that waves of migration continue to "sweep" through history. The wave that is discussed in this question has come and gone, so we use the past tense to describe that wave.

KW


Kyle or E-GMAT or Mike or anyone,

Please clarify my question/concept.

Present tense is used to describe a fact that is current in the present or is used to describe a general habit/practice.

For example, if the sentence reads - "No other wave is more concentrated than the wave that brought 12 million immigrants to shore"

So there was a wave that brought 12 million immigrants and that wave completed its action. But till now no other wave is more more concentrated ( (a fact that is still current in the present) than the wave in the past (the one that brought 12 million immigrants)

I have major confusion in past tense/present tense concepts. So Please clarify my understanding. I will highly appreciate it.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2010
Posts: 525
Location: Bangalore, India
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 166 [0], given: 6

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2014, 07:19
saikrishna123 wrote:
For example, if the sentence reads - "No other wave is more concentrated than the wave that brought 12 million immigrants to shore"

So there was a wave that brought 12 million immigrants and that wave completed its action.

That's the issue. The moment you say: No other wave is more concentrated, it does not mean there was a wave. It means: there is a wave, which is obviously incorrect, because the wave clearly does not exist any more; it started and finished in the past, and hence, the use of simple past is most suitable.

saikrishna123 wrote:
But till now no other wave is more more concentrated ( (a fact that is still current in the present) than the wave in the past (the one that brought 12 million immigrants)

Yes, and the use of present perfect: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history in the sentence is making it clear that till now no wave has even been more concentrated.
_________________

Thanks,
Ashish (GMAT Faculty @ EducationAisle)
http://www.EducationAisle.com

Sentence Correction Nirvana available at Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 8024
Followers: 729

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jan 2016, 04:18
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2016, 04:18
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Of all the many animal migration routes that cover the world, shyind 2 27 Jul 2015, 07:42
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through dhler 7 29 Mar 2013, 04:35
4 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through BukrsGmat 7 29 Aug 2012, 19:26
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through gtr022001 22 07 Dec 2010, 00:33
All the firms have a panel of brokers through whom they lav 3 21 Mar 2009, 01:05
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.