Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 22:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Would you select option (C) as your answer?

You may select 1 option
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Rotman '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

CAT Tests
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 07:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (01:36) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 22 sessions
Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through history, maybe none is more concentrated as the wave that brought 12 million immigrants onto American shores in little more than three decades.
(A) maybe none is more concentrated as
(B) it may be that none is more concentrated as
(C) perhaps it is none that is more concentrated than
(D) maybe it is none that was more concentrated than
(E) perhaps none was more concentrated than

My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: ISB '15 (S)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 7

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
I think the answer is E

My logic- As the sentence is talking about a wave that happened in the past, so you have to use past tense to signify the change in tone.

See example maybe this helps:
Of all of Maroon5 performances, none was as memorable as the one performed at the Emmy's. ( Correct tense usage)
Of all the Maroon 5 performances none is as memorable as the one performed as the Emmy's ( Sounds weird, right ?)

Hope it helps!
Expert Post
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 1973 [0], given: 669

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 12:17
Expert's post
you could pick the right answer considering only the vern tense "was"

the event happens in the past, completely. So the other answer choices that use the verb in the present tense "is" are wrong

regards

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 21:00
Yup all I looked at when I did this question for the first time (it's in the OG of course) was the tense. Did a split using the tense and went with E as the answer. Would never go with C. Apart from the incorrect tense it is also verbose - 'it is none that is'.

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 196

Kudos [?]: 273 [1] , given: 5

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Deepro wrote:
My answer was (C). Now I understand "it is none" is slightly wordy but what's wrong with the tense? The first part of the sentence has a present perfect tense, and describes all the tides from a distant past till the the present time. So by that logic shouldn't it convey the meaning that until now no wave is more concentrated than the wave ... Then why wouldn't (C) be the correct choice?

Yeah, that "it is none" phrase should have been a major red flag for you. "It" doesn't have a clear referent and you won't see the GMAT use that phrasing in a correct answer.

I can see how you might be getting confused with the verb tense. The present perfect is used not to show that each wave is still "currently" sweeping, but rather the present perfect is used to show that waves of migration continue to "sweep" through history. The wave that is discussed in this question has come and gone, so we use the past tense to describe that wave.

KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Re: Of all the vast tides of migration that have swept through   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2013, 22:25