Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 09:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 23:32
I will go with option D bcos D clearly tells that Patients are informed about the pros & cons of the surgery and doctors are not simply doing it for money. This clearly weakens the argument

-Deepak.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 12:55
E - does convey that pple who underwent surgery were indistinguishable from pple who did not undergo surgery. After surgery there seemed so healthy they were matching the pple who did not need surgery.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2010, 13:09
+1 E.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 11:48
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 87

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 01:12
I have read all the posts and mostly people eliminate D since it repeats whats given in the passage....but i have seen some cases where the stuff that is repeated is infact the correct answer...i dont have an example to cite but has someone seen a case like mine before??? Do you D if there was no option E at all??

I am still not convinced with the D elimination....is there any better explanation rather than D repeats whats stated ...??? :cry:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 02:15
siddhans wrote:
I have read all the posts and mostly people eliminate D since it repeats whats given in the passage....but i have seen some cases where the stuff that is repeated is infact the correct answer...i dont have an example to cite but has someone seen a case like mine before??? Do you D if there was no option E at all??

I am still not convinced with the D elimination....is there any better explanation rather than D repeats whats stated ...??? :cry:

E is the right answer because the doctor patients were medically indistinguishable and the doctor performed operation for beneficial outcomes. Incase the patients were medically distinguishable and the doctor would had still performed operation then it would had been for money.

Also in D, the doctor told the patients about risks and the argument even states that the doctor perfomed those operation for their bebefit even though with its risk and expenses.

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 12-22-2011
GPA: 3.81
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2011, 06:52
voted for D
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 08:33
+1 E

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.72

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 10:22
OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 23:50
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
This is a difficult question, but the correct answer choice is clearly E.

Consider the following analogy, perhaps not the best one but I hope it will be good enough to make the point.

A dealer sells second-hand cars. Last year 75% of the cars didn't present any problems after the sale, whereas the other 25% presented several problems a few months after the sale. Clearly in that 25% percent of the cars sold, the dealer was more interested in making profit that in the security of the people who bought the cars.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

-- the dealer didn't know whether the cars had any problems prior to the sale.
-- the dealer equally informed all the customers about the risks of buying a second-hand car.

In this example, I know is not exactly the same, the correct answer choice is clearly the first one. The dealer here could know that the cars were in bad condition, and still convinced the people to buy the cars.

What makes option D incorrect?

If you read closely the stimulus is says

Thus it appears that for one in four such patients, the doctors who advised them to undergo this surgery, with its attendant risks and expense.

IMO the stimulus already acknowledges for the information given, so the doctors could haven given the same information but recommended patients undergo to the coronary bypass surgery even if the doctors knew that the patients would not benefit.

This analogy doesn't hold because a car dealership is only selling a car, while a doctor actually operates on a body. If you compare surgeons to mechanics, E doesn't hold as well. Say 100 cars come into a huge shop, with the SAME PROBLEM (medically indistinguishable). 75 of those get fixed by legit mechanics, while 25 go to the incompetent ones that only care about making money. Those 25 do not "benefit from the surgery". I understand why D is wrong, but I don't get how E could be right.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Reviews Badge
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 07:20
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
rohansherry wrote:
thanks mike..But my ques here to all the experience holders is .... When we slice through the options and and if we get this feeling that this one is perfect , we tend to take the other options lightly.. And in the quest of the right ans in a short time .. we miss the importance of anther option which also may b eimportant ......It happens wid me....The moment i perceive that , for ex, option B is correctly sounds good, though i do read the other options but i just skim thrgh it...........

Same happened with this ques also after coming to D when i felt i got the right ans i missed the importance of E...

Does it happen with anyone else......Any advice?????????

This happens to me to. That's why is important to go through all the answer choices. If you have two contenders, then try to look for that piece of information that makes one better. In difficult questions, like this one, that is difficult.
Under exam conditions perhaps I would have chosen D because sounds right at first.

Lovely analysis ! :)
Exactly, it is a psychological problem for test-takers, I reckon!
I'm making a conscious effort to get rid of that :) !

But, what a point to make it here, I would've thought about this a lot of times, but it takes a great presence to state it here :) !
That's why I love this CLUB :) !

And abt the answer, I am quite confident abt E.
D is not required, I think is a trap!
Already, it is mentioned in the stem that there is this attender's risk & expense, so IMHO, what if the patient is informed! Philosophically too :) , whou could say whatt??
All of them get informed in a similar way - OOS!
Whereas, E means medically indistinguishable. I'd appreciate the use of medically, here, which clarifies that the doctor remains incomprehensible even after the treatment - Perfect!
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 01:22
the doctor cannot disincguish the patients, so we cannot conclude that these doctors take advantages of patient to practice procedure.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 02:01
+1 for E
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 11:18
Why OA is E
it should be D IMO
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 543

Re: Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 02:07
What's the OA? D or E I picked D... can someone explain the options.

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 02:07