Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 05:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (03:28) correct 38% (01:25) wrong based on 63 sessions
Of patients over 65 years old who survived coronary bypass surgery – a procedure widely prescribed for people with heart disease – only 75 percent benefited from the surgery. Thus it appears that for one in four such patients, the doctors who advised them to undergo this surgery, with its attendant risks and expense, were more interested in an opportunity to practice their skills and in their fee than in helping the patient.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

A. Many of the patients who received coronary bypass surgery are less than 55 years old
B. Possible benefits of coronary bypass surgery include both relief from troubling symptoms and prolongation of life.
C. Most of the patients in the survey decided to undergo coronary bypass surgery because they were advised that the surgery would reduce their risk of future heart attacks
D. The patients over 65 years old who did not benefit from the coronary bypass surgery were as fully informed as those who did benefit from the surgery as to the risks of the surgery prior to undergoing it
E. The patients who underwent coronary bypass surgery but who did not benefit from it were medically indistinguishable, prior to their surgery, from the patients who did benefit.

I reckon that D & E are both equally good answers to this question. Any feedbacks?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 23 Jul 2013, 02:20, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 09:41
I would Pick E over D.

E mentioned that the ones who did not benefit and the ones who did were medically indistinguishable before the surgery, therefore they could all benefit from the surgery...so the doctor was simply doing it for the best of the patient.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 19:37
IMO ....D...

Since it kind of takes away the blame from the Doc's head...
It says the patients were very well informed so it was their choice and not the Doc's choice to operate.

While E just says that the patients were indistinguishable so Doc's for their skill, fee just operated on them...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 21:10
E for me
D doesnt answer this-the doctor knew that a particular 4th patient was medically weak and will not recover even after the bypass surgery, but nevertheless advised him so, by not informing him about his medical weakness,but made sure he listed the medical risks involved.
E says all the patients were equal in terms of their medical profile and there was no way in which the doc could distinguish the weaker patient.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 22:29
E for me.

D sounds like a legal fine print, whereas E addresses the concern that Doctors knew that a patient would not benefit and still went ahead and advised the patient to go for the procedure.

If I may, on a lighter note: D may be right on LSAT ;) but E should be the right one on GMAT! :lol:
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 23:46
E for me.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 23:03
sorry folks had difficultys understanding the question :

The argument states that "one out of four heart patients advised by the doctor had a failed heart surgery and this is because doctors, even though they knew that patient condition is bad might have proposed the surgery for his own personnel benefit."

to weaken this argument we need to find a choice that states that doctors were not doing something for their personnel benefits but do it some other reason the surgery was a failure.

E --> Even though the patients are indistinguishable from others it failed because doctors were doing it for their personnel benefit. strengthening the argument and similarly D.

If my understanding is right ....D and E strengthen the argument right?

maybe my interpretaiton is screwed (for sure :oops: )...can someone clarify
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 23:30
In E, it is clearly mentioned that patients are indistinguishable.
==> Doctors before surgery don't know whether it's a practice for their skills or not.

In D, people may be well informed but we are not sure whether doctors at that time did know about the success of the surgery or not.
In case of E, success is unknown.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Intern
Intern

Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 05:33
OA is E...

But man, I still don't have a clue why D is wrong...

If we use the "If Yes/No" analysis on D...

If it is Yes, then the docs might actually be perceived as fair and not biased towards earning the extra $$ from the surgery.. So, the argument is weakened.

If it is No, then the docs might actually withhold some important medical info (such as chances of recovery) from the supposedly 25% who don't benefit... So, the argument is actually weakened here...

We would get the same outcome if we perform the "If Yes/No" on E too...

Damn, this is so hard...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Strategy
GPA: 3.42
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 07:15
cialit0506 wrote:
OA is E...

But man, I still don't have a clue why D is wrong...

If we use the "If Yes/No" analysis on D...

If it is Yes, then the docs might actually be perceived as fair and not biased towards earning the extra $$ from the surgery.. So, the argument is weakened.

If it is No, then the docs might actually withhold some important medical info (such as chances of recovery) from the supposedly 25% who don't benefit... So, the argument is actually weakened here...

We would get the same outcome if we perform the "If Yes/No" on E too...

Damn, this is so hard...

well think about it this way:

for D, it mentioned the risk of the surgery, i think it actually is referring to the survival rate of the surgery (who survived coronary bypass surgery), and it's unlikely that it is referring to whether they will benefit from it?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 10:00
option D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 04:16
D is talking about surgery RISKS, which is outside of scope. Risk means, for example, when someone dies from the surgery.

I think sprtng is saying the same thing.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 05:42
pls give explanations for my explanation on D

If doctors were tellin their patients about the risk . It is not doctors , who are forcing them to undergo surgery . So they are not showing self intrest. patiens could have said no.....

IMO D

in E Patients are indistinguishable , Doctors dont know if it will work or not ...so NO point going for the surgery,, and even if they are doing it its their self intrest...... Strengthens
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 179 [1] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
This is a difficult question, but the correct answer choice is clearly E.

Consider the following analogy, perhaps not the best one but I hope it will be good enough to make the point.

A dealer sells second-hand cars. Last year 75% of the cars didn't present any problems after the sale, whereas the other 25% presented several problems a few months after the sale. Clearly in that 25% percent of the cars sold, the dealer was more interested in making profit that in the security of the people who bought the cars.

-- the dealer didn't know whether the cars had any problems prior to the sale.
-- the dealer equally informed all the customers about the risks of buying a second-hand car.

In this example, I know is not exactly the same, the correct answer choice is clearly the first one. The dealer here could know that the cars were in bad condition, and still convinced the people to buy the cars.

What makes option D incorrect?

If you read closely the stimulus is says

Thus it appears that for one in four such patients, the doctors who advised them to undergo this surgery, with its attendant risks and expense.

IMO the stimulus already acknowledges for the information given, so the doctors could haven given the same information but recommended patients undergo to the coronary bypass surgery even if the doctors knew that the patients would not benefit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 00:01
thanks mike..But my ques here to all the experience holders is .... When we slice through the options and and if we get this feeling that this one is perfect , we tend to take the other options lightly.. And in the quest of the right ans in a short time .. we miss the importance of anther option which also may b eimportant ......It happens wid me....The moment i perceive that , for ex, option B is correctly sounds good, though i do read the other options but i just skim thrgh it...........

Same happened with this ques also after coming to D when i felt i got the right ans i missed the importance of E...

Does it happen with anyone else......Any advice?????????
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 00:18
Jivana wrote:
E for me.

D sounds like a legal fine print, whereas E addresses the concern that Doctors knew that a patient would not benefit and still went ahead and advised the patient to go for the procedure.

If I may, on a lighter note: D may be right on LSAT ;) but E should be the right one on GMAT! :lol:

You're kidding about the LSAT vs GMAT comment, aren't you?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 00:21
rohansherry wrote:
thanks mike..But my ques here to all the experience holders is .... When we slice through the options and and if we get this feeling that this one is perfect , we tend to take the other options lightly.. And in the quest of the right ans in a short time .. we miss the importance of anther option which also may b eimportant ......It happens wid me....The moment i perceive that , for ex, option B is correctly sounds good, though i do read the other options but i just skim thrgh it...........

Same happened with this ques also after coming to D when i felt i got the right ans i missed the importance of E...

Does it happen with anyone else......Any advice?????????

This happens to me to. That's why is important to go through all the answer choices. If you have two contenders, then try to look for that piece of information that makes one better. In difficult questions, like this one, that is difficult.
Under exam conditions perhaps I would have chosen D because sounds right at first.
Intern
Intern

Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 07:25
I have gone through these discussions but still unable to clear my doubts. Hoping to get some reply.

In the eg: specified the dealer don't know whether the cars had any problems prior to the sale, but he operated on those cars prior to sales. He could have tested his skills(screw up something) or removed few parts for money etc,.
=============================================================
A dealer sells second-hand cars. Last year 75% of the cars didn't present any problems after the sale, whereas the other 25% presented several problems a few months after the sale. Clearly in that 25% percent of the cars sold, the dealer was more interested in making profit that in the security of the people who bought the cars.

-- the dealer didn't know whether the cars had any problems prior to the sale.
-- the dealer equally informed all the customers about the risks of buying a second-hand car.

In this example, I know is not exactly the same, the correct answer choice is clearly the first one. The dealer here could know that the cars were in bad condition, and still convinced the people to buy the cars.
=================================================

As the comparison has to be similar with original CR. All the patients are indistinguishable prior to surgery, but few benefit and few not benefit after operation. This could be due to doctor used non benefit patients for testing(screwing them)

Still confusion why OA is E.
The patients who underwent coronary bypass surgery but who did not benefit from it were medically indistinguishable, prior to their surgery, from the patients who did benefit.

============================================

Really appreciate for your replies.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 11:14
E strthens the argument,as the patients were mdically different,so doc did the surgery even they knwe it wont benefit.
how could be the E ans ?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 05:16
+1 D
Re: Coronary Bypass Surgery - GMAT Prep   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2010, 05:16