Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Preparing for the 4th time -:(
Joined: 25 Jun 2011
Posts: 563
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 06-22-2012
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 374 [0], given: 217

GMAT Tests User
Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 14:29
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  15% (low)

Question Stats:

84% (02:22) correct 16% (01:28) wrong based on 118 sessions
Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will be relocated to City X and the remaining 75 percent will be relocated to City Y. However, 40 percent of the employees prefer City Y and 60 percent prefer City X. What is the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer?

(A) 65
(B) 100
(C) 115
(D) 130
(E) 135

Just can't get this right. Any idea how to solve please?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

Best Regards,
E.

MGMAT 1 --> 530
MGMAT 2--> 640
MGMAT 3 ---> 610 :-(

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19094
Followers: 3404

Kudos [?]: 24878 [1] , given: 2697

Re: Relocation [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2012, 14:50
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
enigma123 wrote:
Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will be relocated to City X and the remaining 75 percent will be relocated to City Y. However, 40 percent of the employees prefer City Y and 60 percent prefer City X. What is the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer?
(A) 65
(B) 100
(C) 115
(D) 130
(E) 135

Just can't get this right. Any idea how to solve please?


120 prefer X (Group 1);
80 prefer Y (Group 2).

City Y needs 150 people: let all 80 who prefer Y (entire Group 2) be relocated there, the rest 70 will be those who prefer X from Group 1;
City X needs 50 people: 120-70=50 from Group 1 will be relocated to X, which they prefer.

So, the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer is 80+50=130.

Answer: D.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19094
Followers: 3404

Kudos [?]: 24878 [0], given: 2697

Re: Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2013, 04:28
Expert's post
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

All DS Min/Max Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=42
All PS Min/Max Problems to practice: search.php?search_id=tag&tag_id=63

_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2011
Posts: 147
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Stanford '15
GPA: 3.61
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 97

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Relocation [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2013, 22:42
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will be relocated to City X and the remaining 75 percent will be relocated to City Y. However, 40 percent of the employees prefer City Y and 60 percent prefer City X. What is the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer?
(A) 65
(B) 100
(C) 115
(D) 130
(E) 135

Just can't get this right. Any idea how to solve please?


120 prefer X (Group 1);
80 prefer Y (Group 2).

City Y needs 150 people: let all 80 who prefer Y (entire Group 2) be relocated there, the rest 70 will be those who prefer X from Group 1;
City X needs 50 people: 120-70=50 from Group 1 will be relocated to X, which they prefer.

So, the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer is 80+50=130.

Answer: D.


Hi Bunnel,

Will the minimum number of satisfied employees be 30?
Expert Post
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 19094
Followers: 3404

Kudos [?]: 24878 [0], given: 2697

Re: Relocation [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 01:38
Expert's post
cumulonimbus wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will be relocated to City X and the remaining 75 percent will be relocated to City Y. However, 40 percent of the employees prefer City Y and 60 percent prefer City X. What is the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer?
(A) 65
(B) 100
(C) 115
(D) 130
(E) 135

Just can't get this right. Any idea how to solve please?


120 prefer X (Group 1);
80 prefer Y (Group 2).

City Y needs 150 people: let all 80 who prefer Y (entire Group 2) be relocated there, the rest 70 will be those who prefer X from Group 1;
City X needs 50 people: 120-70=50 from Group 1 will be relocated to X, which they prefer.

So, the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer is 80+50=130.

Answer: D.


Hi Bunnel,

Will the minimum number of satisfied employees be 30?

_______________

Yes, absolutely.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
User avatar
Status: 1,750 Q's attempted and counting
Affiliations: University of Florida
Joined: 09 Jul 2013
Posts: 513
Location: United States (FL)
Schools: UFL (A)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V29
GMAT 2: 590 Q35 V35
GMAT 3: 570 Q42 V28
GMAT 4: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3.45
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 251 [0], given: 629

Re: Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 00:34
i know the min/max concept is pretty basic but conceptually can one use overlapping sets/Venn diagram to solve this and other min/max problems? I'm not sure how to arrive at the min value (maybe someone could provide their input) but to solve for the max i think you can set-up two sets of two overlapping sets.

For display purposes i have found a sample overlapping set.
Image
Image

The first set would represent the max value for City X and the second set would be for City Y. Circle A represents the total amount of people relocating to City X and the Circle B represents the total that prefer City X. To maximize the number of people that are relocated to their preferred city you would have to have the highest possible value from Circle A in the overlapping set. So for City X, circle A, the overlapping area and circle B would contain the following amounts: 0,50,120.

For City Y the amounts would be 70,80,0. The combined overlapping sets would equal the answer 130.
_________________

Got Kudos? :) Tis better to give than receive | ANALYSIS OF MOST DIFFICULT QUESTION TYPES
Need motivation? check out this video or this one | "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle
100 HARDEST CR QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST SC QUESTIONS | 100 HARDEST PS QUESTIONS| 25 HARDEST QUESTIONS | 225 RC PASSAGES W/ TIMER!!!
PS QUESTION DIRECTORY|DS QUESTION DIRECTORY | SC QUESTION DIRECTORY | CR QUESTION DIRECTORY | RC QUESTION DIRECTORY

BEST OVERALL QUANT BOOK FOR THE MONEY | MAXIMIZE YOUR STUDY TIME

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 29 Apr 2013
Posts: 101
Location: India
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-06-2013
WE: Programming (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 50

Re: Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 11:03
enigma123 wrote:
Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will be relocated to City X and the remaining 75 percent will be relocated to City Y. However, 40 percent of the employees prefer City Y and 60 percent prefer City X. What is the highest possible number of employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer?

(A) 65
(B) 100
(C) 115
(D) 130
(E) 135


The best way to solve questions containing four different items is to draw a matrix box. As per the question:
Total employees relocated to X = 25% of 200 = 50
Total employees relocated to Y = 75% of 200 = 150
Total employees who prefer city X = 60% of 200 = 120
Total employees who prefer city Y = 40% of 200 = 80

This can be represented in a matrix box as shown below:
Attachment:
Matrix_1.png
Matrix_1.png [ 2.51 KiB | Viewed 701 times ]


So we need to maximize the cells marked with green i.e.
employees who prefer city X and gets relocated to city X + employees who prefer city Y and gets relocated to city Y.

Maximum possible value of Prefer X - Relocate X cell is 50. Then the only possible value for Prefer X - Relocate Y cell is 70 because the total employees who prefer city X is 120.

As Prefer X - Relocate X cell is 50, so Prefer Y - Relocate X cell has to be 0 because total employees actually relocated to city X is 50. And if Prefer Y - Relocate X is 0 then Prefer Y - Relocate Y has to be 80 because total employees who preferred city Y is 80.

So now the completed matrix box looks like this:
Attachment:
Matrix_2.png
Matrix_2.png [ 2.85 KiB | Viewed 702 times ]


So total sum of green cells (employees who will be relocated to the city they prefer) = 50 + 80 = 130
Hence the correct answer is D
_________________

Do not forget to hit the Kudos button on your left if you find my post helpful 8-)

Collection of some good questions on Number System

Re: Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2013, 11:03
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the megafan 9 10 Feb 2013, 11:36
At a certain company, 25 percent of the employees are male ajit257 5 05 Jan 2011, 17:37
Forty percent of the employees of Company A are females, and TheRob 4 28 Aug 2009, 06:00
At a certain company, 25 percent of the employees are male mymba99 2 30 Apr 2008, 17:22
40 percent of the employees at a certain company are male. nakib77 7 10 Nov 2005, 06:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the 200 employees in a certain company, 25 percent will

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.