Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the 4800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 0

Of the 4800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2004, 00:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Got a question here, and don't agree with some statements from the explanation. See what you guys think.

Of the 4800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K, 1800 were Democrats and 3000 were Republicans. What was the total number of female voters who voted for Resolution K ?

1) 3/4 of the democrats and 2/3 of the republicans voted for resolution K.

2) 1/3 of the democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were female.

I interprete the main question stem as:

4800 --> Comprise of 2 groups of people, those who voted for (in agreement) and those who voted against (not in agreement)
Similarly,
1800 Democrats = Democrats who voted for + Democrats who voted against
3000 Republicans = Republicans who voted for + Republicans who voted against

From 1), all we know are 3/4 of the Democrats and 2/3 of the Republicans voted for Resolution K. We do not know how many Democrats and Republicans there are. Neither is there any mention about female voters, so 1) is not sufficient.

From 2), 1/3 of the Democrats who voted for Resolution K and 1/2 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K were female. All we know is 3/4 of the Democrats voted for resolutoin K, so 1/3(3/4) = 1/4 of the Democrats who voted for resolution K are female. Similarly, 1/2(2/3) = 1/3 of the Republicans who voted for Resolution K are female.

However, we do not know the number of Democrats and Republicans invovled. If the number of Democrats who came to vote were 2000, then 3/4(2000) = 1500 voted for and 300 voted against and another 200 probably did not cast. So unless we know exactly how many came to cast their vote, we don't know exactly how many voted for and how many voted against the resolution.

I chose (E).

However, the OE considered the number of Democrats who voted for resolution K to be 3/4(D) = 3/4(1800) = 1350. It seemed to assume that all the Democrats who turned up voted. That would means the total number of Democrats is 1800 and the total number of Republicans who voted is 3000.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2004, 02:29
I think C is the aswer too.

The question is saying specifically:
Of the 4800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K, 1800 were Democrats and 3000 were Republicans.

The way I see it, is that not voting is possible because they vote for the Resolution K or against Resolution K.

Wilfred,
Do you understand what I am trying to say?

Regards,

Alex
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

Re: DS: Female Voters [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2004, 07:02
My ans is C. (actual no. of female voters towards K = 1450)

ywilfred wrote:
However, we do not know the number of Democrats and Republicans invovled.

It is already given in the question. "Of the 4800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K, 1800 were Democrats and 3000 were Republicans."

ywilfred wrote:
another 200 probably did not cast. So unless we know exactly how many came to cast their vote, we don't know exactly how many voted for and how many voted against the resolution.

From the stem, "Of the 4800 voters who voted for or against Resolution K", it is assumed that people are forced to support either towards or against K. (If you want to think about not casting vote, there is also a category who gave nuetral vote ;))
Re: DS: Female Voters   [#permalink] 11 Sep 2004, 07:02