Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 02:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

of the 50 researchers in a workgroup, 40 percent will be

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1942
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 255 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
of the 50 researchers in a workgroup, 40 percent will be [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 01:28
214. of the 50 researchers in a workgroup, 40 percent will be assigned to team A and the remaining 60 percent to team B. However, 70 percent of the researchers prefer team A and 30% prefer team B. What is the lowest possiple number of researchers who will NOT be assigned to the team they prefer?

A.15
B.17
C.20
D.25
E.30

Hi friends, I am confused with this, it wasted me more than 3 minutes but still be wrong! I need your help!
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 140
Location: New Delhi
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: 214. sets-definitely confused! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 01:48
Quote:
214. of the 50 researchers in a workgroup, 40 percent will be assigned to team A and the remaining 60 percent to team B. However, 70 percent of the researchers prefer team A and 30% prefer team B. What is the lowest possiple number of researchers who will NOT be assigned to the team they prefer?

A.15
B.17
C.20
D.25
E.30


Answer is A. 15 researchers:

Max no. of team members:
Team A Team B

20(40% of 50) 30(60% of 50)

Preferred teams for researcher

Team A Team B

35(70% of 50) 15(60% of 50)

So all 15 people who want to be in team B can be allocated team B, but only 20 of the 35 people who want to be in team A can be allocated team A. So the min no. of people who will not get their team of choice = 35-20 = 15
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 05 Jan 2008
Posts: 709
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 214. sets-definitely confused! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 01:52
Is the OA -A?

40 percent(20 Researchers) will be assigned to team A and the remaining 60 percent(30 Res) to team B. However, 70 percent(35) of the researchers prefer team A and 30%(15) prefer team B. What is the lowest possiple number of researchers who will NOT be assigned to the team they prefer?

least number of people => least of the deltas so 15

regards,
Pras
_________________

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 28 Dec 2005
Posts: 1593
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: 214. sets-definitely confused! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 05:11
i get A as well. 35 prefer A, however, only 20 make it. 15 prefer B, but B has 30 people. So, 15 of those who wanted A wont get it, but all those who want B will get B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2008
Posts: 182
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 214. sets-definitely confused! [#permalink] New post 25 Feb 2008, 18:42
sondenso wrote:
OA is A


if 20ppl are assigned to A (40% of 50ppl) and 35ppl want to be in A (70% of 50ppl) then 15ppl will not get where they want to be. (35-15). do the same for B team. the smallest wins!!
hope this helps.
Re: 214. sets-definitely confused!   [#permalink] 25 Feb 2008, 18:42
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
10 Experts publish their posts in the topic Of the 50 researchers in a workgroup, 40 percent will be Bunuel 15 20 Aug 2012, 02:11
22 Experts publish their posts in the topic In a corporation, 50 percent of the male employees and 40 udaymathapati 10 26 Aug 2010, 06:40
1 In a corporation, 50 percent of the male employees and 40 gorden 2 11 Dec 2008, 13:55
In a corporation, 50 percent of the male employees and 40 mikegao 2 17 Oct 2008, 10:22
Do at least 40 percent of the people over the age of 50 in Pokhran II 3 05 Nov 2006, 22:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

of the 50 researchers in a workgroup, 40 percent will be

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.