Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:13

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 7

Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (01:58) correct 43% (01:03) wrong based on 207 sessions
Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people have their birthdays in any one given month. Does at least one person in the auditorium have a birthday in January?

(1) More of the people in the auditorium have their birthday in February than in March.
(2) Five of the people in the auditorium have their birthday in March.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you think you can,you can
If you think you can't,you are right.

Manager
Manager
Schools: IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: OG-DS [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 11:09
mojorising800 wrote:
Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most
6 people have their birthdays in any one given month.
Does at least one person in the auditorium have a
birthday in January?
(1) More of the people in the auditorium have their
birthday in February than in March.
(2) Five of the people in the auditorium have their
birthday in March.

IMO D

Given that no of people who have birthdays in month is at most 6. So for 66 people, one of the possibilities is to have 6 people place is every month leaving out one of the months with no birthdays.

A - SUFFICIENT (more birthdays in Feb than in March means that there should at least 1 birthday in Jan even if Jan was left out initially.
B - SUFFICIENT (Same reason as A)
Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3610

Kudos [?]: 28837 [0], given: 2854

Re: OG-DS [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2010, 12:33
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
mojorising800 wrote:
Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people have their birthdays in any one given month. Does at least one person in the auditorium have a birthday in January?

(1) More of the people in the auditorium have their birthday in February than in March.

Basically the question is whether we can distribute 66 birthdays between 12 moths so that January to get 0.

(1) Let 10 months (except March and January) have 6 birthdays each (maximum possible) --> 6*10=60. As in March there was less birthdays than in February than maximum possible for March is 5 --> total 60+5=65, so even for the worst case scenario (maximum for other months) still 1 birthday (66-65=1) is left for January. Sufficient.

(2) Again: let 10 months have 6 birthdays each (maximum possible) --> 6*10=60 + 5 birthdays in March = 65. The same here: even for the worst case scenario (maximum for other months) still 1 birthday (66-65=1) is left for January. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3610

Kudos [?]: 28837 [0], given: 2854

Re: Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 04:43
Expert's post
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 113

Kudos [?]: 1195 [3] , given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people [#permalink] New post 31 May 2013, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Bunuel wrote:
Bumping for review and further discussion*. Get a kudos point for an alternative solution!

*New project from GMAT Club!!! Check HERE

Pre-thinking: in the worst case scenario there are 11 months each with 6 people => 1 month out with 0.
We start from here because if we do NOT assume this, then all months have at least one person, and the question does not make sense.

This could mean two things:
1) The month "out" is March (0 people), in this case January is one of the month with 6 people.
2) March and February cannot both have 6 people => in the worst case March has 5 people, and all months have at least one person now.
Both cases are sufficient

So we take the 6 people of March, take one out and assign it to to a new month (because all the others have 6 already).
In this scenario all months have at least one person, sufficient

Hope this makes sense :)

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 10:42
Apologies for flaring up an old topic.

Given both the question and the solution come from OG, there is certainly no conflict over the answer and its explanation. However, I find the answer incorrect. My reasoning for the same is as follows.

1) Agreed, this is sufficient
2) The statement reads as "Five of the people in the auditorium have birthdays in March". The statement to me reads as 5 people from the auditorium have birthdays in March, however it does not say these are the only 5 people whose birthday falls in March. Logically "only" is a required qualifier for the reader to conclude that there are only 5 such people. I don't think statement 2 will be incorrect if there are 6 people who have their birthdays in March. Therefore, the correct answer of this question should be (A).

I understand at the end of the day whatever OG mentions will be construed as correct answer, but I feel my logic is correct. I solicit your views on this.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1154

Kudos [?]: 5369 [1] , given: 165

Re: Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 23:02
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
ankurdubey wrote:

Given both the question and the solution come from OG, there is certainly no conflict over the answer and its explanation. However, I find the answer incorrect. My reasoning for the same is as follows.

2) The statement reads as "Five of the people in the auditorium have birthdays in March". The statement to me reads as 5 people from the auditorium have birthdays in March, however it does not say these are the only 5 people whose birthday falls in March. Logically "only" is a required qualifier for the reader to conclude that there are only 5 such people. I don't think statement 2 will be incorrect if there are 6 people who have their birthdays in March. Therefore, the correct answer of this question should be (A).

I understand at the end of the day whatever OG mentions will be construed as correct answer, but I feel my logic is correct. I solicit your views on this.

Think about the sets questions you solve regularly.

55 of the 100 people drink tea. Do you take it as 55 drink tea and 45 do not or do you take it as 'at least 55 drink tea'?
When you are given that of the 100 people, 55 drink tea, it means only 55 drink tea.
Similarly, 5 of the people in the auditorium have their birthday in March means only 5 do.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 02:15
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ankurdubey wrote:

Think about the sets questions you solve regularly.

55 of the 100 people drink tea. Do you take it as 55 drink tea and 45 do not or do you take it as 'at least 55 drink tea'?
When you are given that of the 100 people, 55 drink tea, it means only 55 drink tea.
Similarly, 5 of the people in the auditorium have their birthday in March means only 5 do.

Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma. While I agree with you, I was stumped by this question from one of the reputed practise tests.

Team A and team B competed in 8 distinct consecutive events. The team winning the nth event was given n points, there were no other teams competing, and there were no ties in any event. Did team A receive more points than team B?

(1) Team A won the seventh and eighth events and at least one other event.

(2) Team B won the third, fourth, and fifth events.

Based on what you noted, I came up with the answer (B) i.e. Statement 2 is sufficient, but the solution given by the prep company is as follows

"Now consider Statement (2). Team B won the third, fourth, and fifth events. For these events team B received 3 + 4 + 5, or 12 points. However, we have no information about which team won the remaining events. If team A won all the other events, then team A received 36 − 12, or 24 points. In this case the answer to the question is YES. However, if team B won all 8 events, then team A received no points while team B received all 36 points, and in this case the answer to the question is NO. Statement (2) is Insufficient, and we can eliminate choice (B)"

As you see, this is exactly what I was contending earlier. Is there any concrete method to tackle such ambiguous questions.
Re: Of the 66 people in a certain auditorium, at most 6 people   [#permalink] 15 Jan 2014, 02:15