Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the people who moved from one state to another when they

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 20:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

88% (01:34) correct 13% (00:01) wrong based on 18 sessions
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument?

A. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

B. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.

C. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.

D.SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.

E.The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 20:57
B.

It used business that carter to retire people as a representations of the economy of suns state.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: MGMAT SC [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 22:17
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the proportion who retired to SunState has decreased by 10 percent over the past five years. Since many local businesses in SunState cater to retirees, this decline is likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses.

A. SunState attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

B. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees. <--- so what? still doesn't show how this is not a negative impact on businesses that cater to retirees

C. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years. <--- out of scope

D.SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees. <--- out of scope

E.The total number of people who retired and moved to another state for their retirement has increased significantly over the past five years.

was stuck between A or E.

will choose E for the following reasons -

A says that Sunstate attracts the most retirees than any other state, so they have a biggest piece of the pie. However, if the overall total went down - thus the number of retirees in Sunstate, this may hurt the businesses.

E if the total retirees have significantly increased, then even though the proportion went down 10%, the businesses are still better off than 5 years ago.

I am not sure, what is the OA?

Last edited by beckee529 on 14 Sep 2007, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 22:25
E.

Trap between percentages and numbers. The %share may be down, there are probably more people retiring to sunstate.

so clear E.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 22:31
Ans is E.

I was also stuck btwn A and E

But I still don't see how E can be the answer. So what if the number of retirees has increased, this doesn't mean that they will retire to Sunstate?
This requires me to assume something I don't really agree w/ this.

Although A isnt very good either, so E, I guess makes more sense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2007, 22:37
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
Ans is E.

I was also stuck btwn A and E

But I still don't see how E can be the answer. So what if the number of retirees has increased, this doesn't mean that they will retire to Sunstate?
This requires me to assume something I don't really agree w/ this.

Although A isnt very good either, so E, I guess makes more sense.

Consider this.

100 people moved out for retirement in 2005, and 20 retired to Sunstate.

In 2006, 200 people moved out for retirement and 30 reitired to sunstate.

So the percentage of people retiring to sunstate has decreased but the actual numbers have gone up.
Unless the information is provided to the contrary that the people are not retiring as much to sunstate then i don't think we have any reason to doubt this. It is a clear question of percentage and numbers.
Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: MGMAT SC [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 00:09
The catch is in the wording "The total number...increased significantly over the past five years." If the total number has increased from 100 to 1000, the percent decline would not impact the absolute number.
So, choice E.

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:

B. There are far more local businesses in SunState that cater to tourists than there are local businesses that cater to retirees.

C. The number of retirees who have moved out of SunState to accept re-employment in other states has increased over the past five years.

D.SunState has lower property taxes than any other state, making the state a magnet for retirees.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 09:15
Good one!!

I chose B but was not convinced that it was the right answer.

E seems right after reading the explanation.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2007, 11:29
clear E
reason
if for eg. 100 ppl retired and moved to other city, earlier and of this eg 30% went to the particlaure city, now it says that there has been a significant increase in the total ppl retring+moving..it can be for eg 5 fold => ppl moved of this only (30-10) % moved to this city,which is still more than what previous came..
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 00:53
This is a tricky question and I'm still not sure between A and E. Why is A wrong and E right. For me E being right requires an unncessary assumption on the part of the test taker which would assume that the number of retirees also increases in the sunstate...

That is really really iffy business. Why can we make such an assumption?

We appreciate your kudos'

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 01:22
manimgoindowndown wrote:
This is a tricky question and I'm still not sure between A and E. Why is A wrong and E right. For me E being right requires an unncessary assumption on the part of the test taker which would assume that the number of retirees also increases in the sunstate...

Just because Sunstate attracts the most retirees, according to answer A, does not mean that the decrease by 10% will not hurt the businesses that cater to these retirees. Consider this: Even if Sunstate attracts huuuge number of retirees every year, say 100 000 for instance, and even if the next most popular state attracts , say. 30 000, it does not matter. Businesses expect to cater to 100,000 and a reduction of 10 000 (10%) will hurt these businesses one way or another, The fact that other states attract much less retirees is irrelevent to the businesses in Sunstate

Option E makes sense because if we assume a huge total increase of retirees, the 10% decrease will be outweighted.

If Sunstate usuallly attracts 35% of 2 000 000 ppl, we have 700 000 ppl
If the state now attracts only 25% , but this time, of 3 000 000 people, we have 750 000 ppl, which means that local businesses will not be hurt and the argument is weakened.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 995 [1] , given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2013, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
manimgoindowndown wrote:

Hi manimgoindowndown,

We have to select an answer choice that will weaken the conclusion that decline in the proportion of people retiring to SunState will cause a negative economic effect on the business serving retired people

Suppose were true then this would mean that the number people retiring to SunState is greater than those do retire in other state. Greater number is good, but we are comparing the number "in SunState" this year vs last year. Even if SunState attracts more retires than other states, it has seen a 10% decrease and this will cause a decline in local businesses. To sump up, (A) makes a wrong comparison between "SunState and other states", the correct answer should give some information about the number of retirees ""last years v/s this year"

If the total number of people who retired and moved to another state has increased then this means that the number of people corresponding to the proportion will also increase

Lets user numbers for this choice:

Lets say, last year, the total number of people retiring and moving to other states is 1000 and 100 of these are retiring to SunState. Now the proportion would be \frac{100}{1000}\frac{*100}{1} = 10%

This year this proportion has decreased by 10%, i.e. the new proportion has now become 9% (=10% decrease in the proportion). Now according to (E) the total number has increased. Lets say that the total number has increased from 1000 to 1500. Now 9% of 1500 is 135. This number is greater than the previous 100. The total number doesn't have to be 1500, but (E) in fact (among all the choices) gives us the strongest reason to weaken the conclusion, even slightly.

If we want to prove that the conclusion is true for sure, then we need to make an assumption that the increase in the total number of retirees should be such that it offsets the 10% decrease in the proportion. We just need an additional evidence that will weaken the conclusion, this evidence may or may not destroy the conclusion.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 43

Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2013, 17:37
Vercules wrote:
manimgoindowndown wrote:

Hi manimgoindowndown,

We have to select an answer choice that will weaken the conclusion that decline in the proportion of people retiring to SunState will cause a negative economic effect on the business serving retired people

Suppose were true then this would mean that the number people retiring to SunState is greater than those do retire in other state. Greater number is good, but we are comparing the number "in SunState" this year vs last year. Even if SunState attracts more retires than other states, it has seen a 10% decrease and this will cause a decline in local businesses. To sump up, (A) makes a wrong comparison between "SunState and other states", the correct answer should give some information about the number of retirees ""last years v/s this year"

If the total number of people who retired and moved to another state has increased then this means that the number of people corresponding to the proportion will also increase

Lets user numbers for this choice:

Lets say, last year, the total number of people retiring and moving to other states is 1000 and 100 of these are retiring to SunState. Now the proportion would be \frac{100}{1000}\frac{*100}{1} = 10%

This year this proportion has decreased by 10%, i.e. the new proportion has now become 9% (=10% decrease in the proportion). Now according to (E) the total number has increased. Lets say that the total number has increased from 1000 to 1500. Now 9% of 1500 is 135. This number is greater than the previous 100. The total number doesn't have to be 1500, but (E) in fact (among all the choices) gives us the strongest reason to weaken the conclusion, even slightly.

If we want to prove that the conclusion is true for sure, then we need to make an assumption that the increase in the total number of retirees should be such that it offsets the 10% decrease in the proportion. We just need an additional evidence that will weaken the conclusion, this evidence may or may not destroy the conclusion.

Hope this helps,

Vercules

It helped a little but I think what I'm trying to say in contexdt of your example is that how can we assume the increase in numbers offsets that decrease of 10%? Isn't that an assumption on part of the test maker?

We appreciate your kudos'

Re: Of the people who moved from one state to another when they   [#permalink] 19 Mar 2013, 17:37