Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2015, 15:05
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Of the votes cast on a certain proposal, 80 more were in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 21 Jan 2007
Posts: 2760
Location: New York City
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 421 [0], given: 4

Of the votes cast on a certain proposal, 80 more were in [#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 19:18
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

Of the votes cast on a certain proposal, 80 more were in favor of the proposal than were against it. if the number of votes against the proposal was 40 percent of the total vote, what was the total number of votes cast?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 152
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: PS #32 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 19:43
bmwhype2 wrote:
Of the votes cast on a certain proposal, 80 more were in favor of the proposal than were against it. if the number of votes against the proposal was 40 percent of the total vote, what was the total number of votes cast?


Against the proposal = 40%

=> Favor of the proposal = 60%

=> Total votes = 80/(60% - 40%) = 400
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2007
Posts: 111
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 19:59
agree; although i took a longer approach. i will have to digest kirakira's method for a few minutes to see if i get it.

Total Votes = For + Against
For = 80+Against
Against = 40% total vote

TV = 80 + .4TV +.4TV
.2TV=80
Total Vote = 400
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2006
Posts: 55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 29

Re: PS #32 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 20:19
kirakira wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Of the votes cast on a certain proposal, 80 more were in favor of the proposal than were against it. if the number of votes against the proposal was 40 percent of the total vote, what was the total number of votes cast?


Against the proposal = 40%

=> Favor of the proposal = 60%

=> Total votes = 80/(60% - 40%) = 400


KiraKira,
Your method is faster. Excellent!!
Can you please explain the third step? i.e. Total votes = 80/(60% - 40%)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 03 May 2007
Posts: 272
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 21:40
x+80 number of votes in favor
x against

0.4total=x
2x+80=total
total-0.8total=80
0.2total=80
total=400
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 02 May 2007
Posts: 152
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: PS #32 [#permalink] New post 21 May 2007, 21:56
bhaarat wrote:
kirakira wrote:
bmwhype2 wrote:
Of the votes cast on a certain proposal, 80 more were in favor of the proposal than were against it. if the number of votes against the proposal was 40 percent of the total vote, what was the total number of votes cast?


Against the proposal = 40%

=> Favor of the proposal = 60%

=> Total votes = 80/(60% - 40%) = 400


KiraKira,
Your method is faster. Excellent!!
Can you please explain the third step? i.e. Total votes = 80/(60% - 40%)


Just simple logic!

The portion of 20% (60% - 40%) = 80 votes
=> The whole 100% = 80/20%

:)
Re: PS #32   [#permalink] 21 May 2007, 21:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Of the votes cast on a certain proposal, 80 more were in

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.