Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 09:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Offical Exam Error in Scoring?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Offical Exam Error in Scoring? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 12:29
I took an official GMAT for the first time in September. I scored 640 overall, 42Q and 37V. I was disappointed with this test score since I scored higher on Official practice exams, Manhattan practice exams, and Kaplan Exams.

So I took a Knewton course before retaking the test. The verbal section has always been my strongest section, and I have consistently performed well on the Verbal section. In the Knewton practice tests I scored, 44, 40, 35, 38 and 40 on the verbal section of five different tests.

I took my second official GMAT test today and received a 27 on the Verbal section based on the unofficial GMAT score report. I did not notice anything unusual when I was taking the exam, and finished all the questions as usual. This Verbal score of 27 is a definite outlier; on all other practice tests (both Official practice tests, Manhattan practice tests, Kaplan practice tests, and 5 Knewton practice tests) I scored significantly higher. My score on the first official GMAT test was also significantly higher.

Is it possible there was an error when my test was scored? Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does anyone have any suggestions of action to take?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Offical Exam Error in Scoring? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 13:05
hey there, sorry to hear about this. The possibility of error in score-counting is slim to none. Even if there is, I really do not think that there's any way to prove it wrong. You can always contact Pearson and see if there's any actions you can do, but my instinct says that there's really not a whole lot you can do, other than to retake the test if that's what you'd like to do.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Offical Exam Error in Scoring? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 13:06
You choked.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Offical Exam Error in Scoring? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 13:29
I suspect that there was a technical error, and that questions were incorrectly reported as having been not answered. There have been a lot of power outages in the area where I took the exam. Has anyone ever had an issue like this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Offical Exam Error in Scoring? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 13:36
I'm not sure how a power outage will create such a glitch... unless you truly (and maybe accidentally) left some of the answer choices blank... Other than that, your best bet is to take this directly to Pearson or GMAC and ask for a "re-tally" (if that's even possible).

kudos if you like me (or my post) :P

Last edited by adalfu on 27 Oct 2010, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2134

Kudos [?]: 7276 [0], given: 3618

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Offical Exam Error in Scoring? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 14:14
Expert's post
Sorry to hear about the experience :(

Getting a lower score on the retake is not fun. should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html?highlight=ml303

Personally I have never heard of any errors with scoring.... there is always the first one but not anything common.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 88 [0], given: 71

GMAT Tests User
Re: Offical Exam Error in Scoring? [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2010, 16:26
i underscored in the verbal as well in the real thing in comparison to the practice stuff.

suck it up dude. you're bad at verbal but you're better than me. no body here is gonna feel sorry for you because you did it to yourself. so throw it up as a lose, don't lose your cool, and cough up another $250. don't hate the player, hate the game.

Re: Offical Exam Error in Scoring?   [#permalink] 27 Oct 2010, 16:26