Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 23:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2008, 16:14
I went out and bought a few princeton review books, including "cracking the gmat" and "math workout for the GMAT."

I scored a 39 Q, 42V on my GMAT last week, and want to take it again to improve my quant score, which I know I underperformed.

So far I am not a fan of the Workout for the GMAT book, but I have already finished the Official Guide 11.

1) Is the The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review just a duplicate of the quant from the OG11?
2) Do the GMAT club practice tests come with comprehensive answers? Are they a good resource for someone like me who is struggling with some of the more medium level difficulty questions? I'm not looking for a 50 on quant, but want to raise my score from 680 to 700+.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2008, 18:24
My strong suggestion to improve quant is to start from fundamentals. You might know them but doesn't hurt to refresh them. Identify your weak areas, get introductory book or high school text book on that subject, and go through it. It will take time but it will improve your PS and DS questions. Good luck
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2008, 15:05
1. The official guide for GMAT quant review has completely a different set of questions from OG11, although, the toughness level is the same.
2. The GMAT club practice tests answers focus more on strategy as opposed to a concept level explanation.

Good luck !
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 08:07
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:
1) Is the The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review just a duplicate of the quant from the OG11?
2) Do the GMAT club practice tests come with comprehensive answers? Are they a good resource for someone like me who is struggling with some of the more medium level difficulty questions? I'm not looking for a 50 on quant, but want to raise my score from 680 to 700+.

1) Different questions, but I felt the supplemental book was slightly easier. Even the OG is pretty easy with the exception of the last 15 or so questions.

Just a note, the PR quant questions are a bit of a joke. I used to do their quant CATs in 15-25 minutes. If you want some serious questions, move on to the MGMAT.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 09:39
kidderek wrote:

1) Different questions, but I felt the supplemental book was slightly easier. Even the OG is pretty easy with the exception of the last 15 or so questions.

Just a note, the PR quant questions are a bit of a joke. I used to do their quant CATs in 15-25 minutes. If you want some serious questions, move on to the MGMAT.

I bought the manhattan gmat Equations and Number Properties books, as that's where I have the most problems, and I plan on supplementing that with the OG math review. Do you think this is sufficient? Should I blow off the PR study guide entirely?
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 12:25
I bought the manhattan gmat Equations and Number Properties books, as that's where I have the most problems, and I plan on supplementing that with the OG math review. Do you think this is sufficient? Should I blow off the PR study guide entirely?

Nope, b/c you can never have enough practice. That is, if you have the time. PR is very good as a refresher. I started there, going over all of the concepts. Then, I moved on to the first and second thirds of the OG and OG supp, then I moved on to MGMAT to answer all of lingering concepts that I did not understand. Then finally the final third of the OG & supp.

If you're math is up to snuff, you can probably go through the PR book in less than a week, possibly, dare I say, a day.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 13:52
keep in mind here I already took the darn test in Jan 29th, my goal here is to shore up my weaknesses, and stay fresh on everything else. I've already completed the entire OG, so in order to avoid repeats, I may end up just using the supplement instead.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2008, 23:54
The books are useless.

Learn the fundamentals. Then do examples. There are no shortcuts.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 06:18
StartupAddict wrote:
The books are useless.

Learn the fundamentals. Then do examples. There are no shortcuts.

<cue Rocky training montage>

sheesh.
Re: Official Guide Quant vs. Princeton Review   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2008, 06:18