Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 14:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Johnson, Tuck, Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 08:10
I just breezed through the official guide quant questions without many problems at all. I didn't struggle on any of the questions and when I did get a question wrong it was mostly sloppy mistakes. The questions toward the end of the section which are the harder, 700 level questions weren't that bad either. However, when i look at some of the question posted on the Math forum i get stumped.

so my question is follows:
1. how much are the later questions in the official guide a representation of the 700+ questions on the gmat?
2. should i rely on the forum as the basis for 700+ level questions ?

Thanks guys,
wayxi
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 08:36
You can search based on tags. Tags provide whole range of options to find question based on difficult level, source and many more.
viewforumtags.php

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 331 [3] , given: 109

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Hi,

I don't think that the 700-level questions in the OG are not so representative of the real exam. There are few questions of that level in the book. Also, the book doesn't cover topics that the real exam presents. For example, the OG has few questions of combinatronics, probability, sequences, etc.

IMO, the book prepares you for a 600-sub 700 score. Try to practice harder questions in the GMAT Club tests and Manhattan GMAT Tests (they are not free).

Hope it helps.

I think I deserve kudos 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 08:57
Quote:
For example, the OG has few questions of combinatronics, probability, sequences, etc.

@metallicafan- You're so correct.

680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [1] , given: 20

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys,

Good discussion! One thing to keep in mind is that the Official Guide only contains questions that have been retired, and I remember hearing that the rule was that the questions had to have been retired for 5 years before they can be published. Even if not, by the time the questions are retired, provided with solutions, formatted, edited, and published you're looking at questions that haven't been live GMAT questions for a while, so you're looking at the historical GMAT in the OG.

The test has to evolve, and GMAC takes that responsibility quite seriously by researching each potential question thoroughly before it ever affects your score. So the current 700+ level questions are almost necessarily a little different from those in the OG - they have to find ways to trick the top 5% of test-takers, many of whom have breezed through the OG as you said.

Particularly on the math side, there's a ton of value in seeing what GMAT experts are writing as new questions, as we tend to take the concepts that we've seen on hard official questions and ask "how could they make that harder?" or at least "how could they ask that differently?". To prepare for a 700+ score, I'd certainly recommend:

1) Devour those new questions in the forums
2) As you see new questions, do what we do and ask how you could tweak the question slightly to make it harder or elicit a different answer; that way you'll be more flexible in your problem solving and abilities with those concepts.

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 11:25
@VeritasPrepBrian- Thanks for explaining so beautifully.

680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Manager
Manager
Schools: Columbia, Johnson, Tuck, Stern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 13:27
Many thanks for all the replies guys. The last thing i want is to show up for the gmat OVER-CONFIDENT but in actuality UNDER-PREPARED.

Looks like i still have a lot more work to do... :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 08:28
I would say questions from the OG are "on average" a little bit easier ... for math you have plenty of resources that are more difficult, but the problem is that they are not necessarily representative of the GMAT test... that is the dilemma we will have to cope with

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2010, 21:17
Thank you. Kudos
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 279 [2] , given: 2

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2010, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
The easiest question in the real exam is much more difficult than the most complicated one of the OG. At least, that is my experience in the 3 times I have taken de exam (Q50, Q48, Q50).

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 15:11
Thanks!

"Only by going too far, can one find out how far one can go."

--T.S. Elliot

Re: Official Guide Questions vs. Questions on GmatClub   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2011, 15:11