Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT Date: 10-24-2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Officially feel like a failure [#permalink]
Hi,

You may want to give e-gmat a shot for Verbal

In case you really wanna get a 700 ++ and are the self study types.

Get all the MGMAT quant guides and read them cover to cover and practice regularly.
The MGMAT navigator is a good product to try and pace yourself.

Else you may want to consider empower gmat ..a good course..value for money and feels like tutoring...

As far as loosing hope is concerned... there a lot of inspiration all over the forum... recovery from 420 to 740 and a lot more....
Just depends how badly you wanna beat the gmat :twisted:

This should get you at least to a 650...

All the best!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ubus wrote:
Hi,

You may want to give e-gmat a shot for Verbal

In case you really wanna get a 700 ++ and are the self study types.

Get all the MGMAT quant guides and read them cover to cover and practice regularly.
The MGMAT navigator is a good product to try and pace yourself.

Else you may want to consider empower gmat ..a good course..value for money and feels like tutoring...

As far as loosing hope is concerned... there a lot of inspiration all over the forum... recovery from 420 to 740 and a lot more....
Just depends how badly you wanna beat the gmat :twisted:

This should get you at least to a 650...

All the best!!

Thank you Ubus for your input.
Do I start by taking one of the GMAT tests from the website to see where exactly I stand?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tests are a precious resource and must not be taken until you ve worked on your weaker areas.

I would recommend taking a test once you ve partially covered the recommended study material.
GMAT's not just another test. It tests application of knowledge..
its unlikely that u ll have any significant improvement unless u have your concepts crystal clear.

All the best!

Regards

Ubus
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Officially feel like a failure [#permalink]
Deleted

Originally posted by ShannonWong on 10 Jun 2014, 03:17.
Last edited by ShannonWong on 25 Oct 2021, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ubus wrote:
Tests are a precious resource and must not be taken until you ve worked on your weaker areas.

I would recommend taking a test once you ve partially covered the recommended study material.
GMAT's not just another test. It tests application of knowledge..
its unlikely that u ll have any significant improvement unless u have your concepts crystal clear.

All the best!

Regards

Ubus

Ok, so how about timing? When I do practice questions, how should I be timing myself so I know I'm not going over the amount I should actually be spending for each, say word problem or reading comp. question. I've come to learn that the harder questions are towards the end of the test and the questions at the beginning of the test are of medium level. How do I time myself when I practice?

Thank you so much for your advice :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi ShannonWong
What do you know... Seems like I have a problem with quant too! :cry: my last score was 500 (39Q 20V).
I will get a copy of the GMAT Club Quant as recommended by you. Your debrief has contains materials you used, so I will make sure to get them :-D as a side note, I was able to get all the Manhattan GMAT Guides (for both verbal and quant). Are they sufficient?
Quite honestly, w.r.t the GMAT Prep Mock tests, I understand they are the best simulators of the actual, which is why I'm wondering if I should begin my prep by attempting one of the tests before I start preparing again or should I deep dive into the material, understand the concepts etc and then do a practice test?
Also, how would you say I should keep calm? My nervousness gets the best of me during an actual test and more often than not, leads to me either not finishing or just not being able to perform well! I live in a home with a family of 5 and there isn't a lot of quiet room :-S

Thank you again so much for helping me get through! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

Actually thats not the way the GMAT works.. its adaptive... as and when you get right answers the exam keeps getting difficult...
You may want to youtube it and see how exactly it works in detail. Spend some time understanding how this test works... you cant beat it unless
you know how it works.
As far as timing goes the MGMAT navigator is a fabulous tool to keep a track of ur timing ( unless you are an excel person who can maintain logs )

If you are tight on budget... a stopwatch and an excel sheet will help you track the timing.

Because GMAT prep gets really close to the real one its important you don't waste it in early stages of prep...especially when you are a retaker and you have a fair idea on whr u stand.
You dont wanna work hard studying all ur material and then not have a test left to check whr u stand...( re taking a test is not the best thing to do..even one repeat question can skew ur score)
Looking at your split u ll hv to spend time on Quant as well as Verbal.
the MGMAT Quant guides should be enough... however on verbal it really depends from person to person....
Verbal guides did nt help me too much.... e-gmat works like a charm...especially for non natives....

the GMAT Tests are brilliant... but they are gruesome... until you are Q47 ..I wud nt recommend them...

Looking at ur Verbal score... i d suggest the e-gmat course...

All the best!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
nehas8 wrote:
I took the GMAT the first time January 2012 and though I thought I was prepared (having spent about 2-2.5months), I got a disappointing 460. Not wanting to give up, I decided to give myself some time and since work experience is of importance for any reputed MBA Program, I decided to focus on my career and when the time was right to retake the test - and with better preparation. With the intension of beginning my MBA in Fall 2014 (this year), I decided to retake the GMAT in October 2013 and well, in spite of spending more time on preparation etc., I ended up scoring a sad 500. I'm not aiming at getting into any of the top 30 schools but a decent school with a decent ranking is what I'm aiming toward. To make myself feel better, I applied for the full time MBA Program with Internship at Loughborough University in UK and got accepted. I am still bent upon going to school in the US (I'm from Canada so its closer to home for me than UK). But, after two terrible attempts I've lost all confidence in myself to be able to score well at all! I officially feel like a failure and need help! BIG TIME!!!

Anybody with any sort of input or help would be awesome!

Thank you

Definitely being too hard on yourself. It's not the end of the world.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Andrew2489 wrote:
nehas8 wrote:
I took the GMAT the first time January 2012 and though I thought I was prepared (having spent about 2-2.5months), I got a disappointing 460. Not wanting to give up, I decided to give myself some time and since work experience is of importance for any reputed MBA Program, I decided to focus on my career and when the time was right to retake the test - and with better preparation. With the intension of beginning my MBA in Fall 2014 (this year), I decided to retake the GMAT in October 2013 and well, in spite of spending more time on preparation etc., I ended up scoring a sad 500. I'm not aiming at getting into any of the top 30 schools but a decent school with a decent ranking is what I'm aiming toward. To make myself feel better, I applied for the full time MBA Program with Internship at Loughborough University in UK and got accepted. I am still bent upon going to school in the US (I'm from Canada so its closer to home for me than UK). But, after two terrible attempts I've lost all confidence in myself to be able to score well at all! I officially feel like a failure and need help! BIG TIME!!!

Thank you

Definitely being too hard on yourself. It's not the end of the world.

I know, but it would be nice to get an MBA from a good school :-D
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
nehas8 wrote:
I took the GMAT the first time January 2012 and though I thought I was prepared (having spent about 2-2.5months), I got a disappointing 460. Not wanting to give up, I decided to give myself some time and since work experience is of importance for any reputed MBA Program, I decided to focus on my career and when the time was right to retake the test - and with better preparation. With the intention of beginning my MBA in Fall 2014 (this year), I decided to retake the GMAT in October 2013 and well, in spite of spending more time on preparation etc., I ended up scoring a sad 500. I'm not aiming at getting into any of the top 30 schools but a decent school with a decent ranking is what I'm aiming toward. To make myself feel better, I applied for the full time MBA Program with Internship at Loughborough University in UK and got accepted. I am still bent upon going to school in the US (I'm from Canada so its closer to home for me than UK). But, after two terrible attempts I've lost all confidence in myself to be able to score well at all! I officially feel like a failure and need help! BIG TIME!!!

Thank you

Before starting to prepare for GMAT one must be in good physical and mental conditions. GMAT and work will take a lot out of you and unless you are balancing things you will run out of steam in a few months. Saying this because you have mentioned that you are not able to study after work. You have to treat GMAT like a part-time job which you would turn into a venture (MBA :)) in future. We do not know how stressful is your job and if your job is super stressful you would be too tired at the end of day.
The point is somehow you would need to find 10-20 quality hours every week and invest anywhere from 3-6 months to get to 650. If you are a morning person try getting 1-2 hour early and study.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: ?
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-09-2013
GPA: 3.3
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Never give up!! Good luck the next time!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Hi Neha
After reading all the posts I would just like to add that you should worry too much about timing, initially. Timing is a consequence that should be a natural outcome of practice. Also practice more official content, such as question bank and focus.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
nehas8 wrote:
I took the GMAT the first time January 2012 and though I thought I was prepared (having spent about 2-2.5months), I got a disappointing 460. Not wanting to give up, I decided to give myself some time and since work experience is of importance for any reputed MBA Program, I decided to focus on my career and when the time was right to retake the test - and with better preparation. With the intention of beginning my MBA in Fall 2014 (this year), I decided to retake the GMAT in October 2013 and well, in spite of spending more time on preparation etc., I ended up scoring a sad 500. I'm not aiming at getting into any of the top 30 schools but a decent school with a decent ranking is what I'm aiming toward. To make myself feel better, I applied for the full time MBA Program with Internship at Loughborough University in UK and got accepted. I am still bent upon going to school in the US (I'm from Canada so its closer to home for me than UK). But, after two terrible attempts I've lost all confidence in myself to be able to score well at all! I officially feel like a failure and need help! BIG TIME!!!

Thank you

Before starting to prepare for GMAT one must be in good physical and mental conditions. GMAT and work will take a lot out of you and unless you are balancing things you will run out of steam in a few months. Saying this because you have mentioned that you are not able to study after work. You have to treat GMAT like a part-time job which you would turn into a venture (MBA :)) in future. We do not know how stressful is your job and if your job is super stressful you would be too tired at the end of day.
The point is somehow you would need to find 10-20 quality hours every week and invest anywhere from 3-6 months to get to 650. If you are a morning person try getting 1-2 hour early and study.

Hi AbhiJ
Thank you for your recommendation :) I am hoping to be ready in the next 4months, to be able to give the GMAT by October end - November first week max!! :) Let's hope for the best! So much encouragement - i feel good already :-D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts