Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 14:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Officials at the United States Mint believe that the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Posts: 151
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Officials at the United States Mint believe that the [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 03:17
2
This post received
KUDOS
3
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

56% (02:19) correct 44% (01:17) wrong based on 282 sessions
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Mar 2007
Posts: 329
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 07:08
I agree with you! it is (B), because 'more as...than' is used do compare the two things. This eliminates (C), (D) and (E).

The dollar bill is compared with the Sacagawea dollar and is therefore not parallel with 'for four quarters', so (B) is the right answer. Best regards & cheers!
3 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 847
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 23 [3] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 14:19
3
This post received
KUDOS
pi10t wrote:
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for


The main point to consider here is what is being substituted.
The meaning of the passage is "The Sacagawea dollar will be used as a substitute for four quarters more than the Sacagawea dollar will be used as a substitute for the dollar bill".

A and B fall because of wrong comparison "more as a substitute"
D is gone, since there is no "for" before the dollar bill
E is too wordy, and hence follows D

Only C makes the correct comparison and maintains grammar.

Anand
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 1377
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 18:45
pi10t wrote:
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its

weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for


B

A,C,E->less than
D->"more than for the dollar bill "sounds awkward
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 281
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2007, 19:33
Anand said it well

C for correct usage of idiom

In B things compared as not parallel and change meaning
_________________

AimHigher

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 02:56
anandsebastin wrote:
pi10t wrote:
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for


The main point to consider here is what is being substituted.
The meaning of the passage is "The Sacagawea dollar will be used as a substitute for four quarters more than the Sacagawea dollar will be used as a substitute for the dollar bill".

A and B fall because of wrong comparison "more as a substitute"
D is gone, since there is no "for" before the dollar bill
E is too wordy, and hence follows D

Only C makes the correct comparison and maintains grammar.

Anand


OA is C.
I agree with you. However, the comparision "far less" in C, seems to be between Sacagawea dollar coin's weight and four quarters (which is incorrect since it would be four quarters' weight).
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks,
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Joined: 26 Nov 2009
Posts: 995
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 392 [2] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 07:05
2
This post received
KUDOS
C for perfection LOL

As a substitute for x more than for y because blah blah

as for x
as for y
_________________

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2007
Posts: 956
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 697 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2010, 10:01
Anand, thanks for clarifying the diction and usage.
_________________

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Expert Post
7 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1553
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 644 [7] , given: 6

Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2010, 04:51
7
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

--as mustdoit pointed out, the word "rather" does not belong here.

But even if you did not catch this, the phrase "its weight...is far less than four quarters" does not make sense.
It should be "its weight...is far less than that of four quarters."


Additionally, because of the positioning of the word "more" early in the sentence, this sentence is structurally should be saying "more as a SUBSTITUTE...than as a [Blank]"

So A is wrong.

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

Because of the positioning of the word "more" early in the sentence, this sentence is structurally should be saying "more as a SUBSTITUTE...than as a [Blank]"

Since this structure is violated, we know B is wrong. If you want to compare the four quarters and the dollar bill, you'll have to move the position of the word "more."

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

This is what we want! The position of the word "more" is further into the sentence so structurally, we are correctly comparing "four quarters" and the "dollar bill."

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

The phrase should be "the weight...is far LESS than" --this is preferred.

You can say "it weighs lighter than XYZ" --just like you can say "I weigh heavier than him." ---But when you begin with the form "its weight is" then you should finish it off with "LESS THAN" rather than "LIGHTER THAN." Likewise, you wouldn't say "my weight is heavier than his"---you would say "my weight is more than his"

And as previously mentioned, you also need the word "for" before "the dollar bill"

So either way, D is wrong.

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for

Again, you don't want the word "rather" in "rather than" here. E is wrong.

The phrase "is far less than it is for"--is chunky. Other answer choices offer something that is simpler and more concise--like answer choice C.

Hope that helps!
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Feb 2010
Posts: 1561
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2010, 08:39
other than the wrong comparisons, are the options A, D and E not incorrect for using 'its' (possessive pronoun) to refer to Sacagawea dollar coin (subject noun)??

can someone comment on this please?
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 228 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 11:21
noboru wrote:
anandsebastin wrote:
pi10t wrote:
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the Sacagawea dollar coin will be used more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than four quarters, which weigh 5.67 grams each.

A) more as a substitute for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than

B) more as a substitute for four quarters than the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far lighter than

C) as a substitute for four quarters more than for the dollar bill because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than

D) as a substitute for four quarters more than the dollar bill because its weight of only 8.1 grams is far lighter than it is for

E) as a substitute more for four quarters rather than for the dollar bill because its weight, only 8.1 grams, is far less than it is for


The main point to consider here is what is being substituted.
The meaning of the passage is "The Sacagawea dollar will be used as a substitute for four quarters more than the Sacagawea dollar will be used as a substitute for the dollar bill".

A and B fall because of wrong comparison "more as a substitute"
D is gone, since there is no "for" before the dollar bill
E is too wordy, and hence follows D

Only C makes the correct comparison and maintains grammar.

Anand


OA is C.
I agree with you. However, the comparision "far less" in C, seems to be between Sacagawea dollar coin's weight and four quarters (which is incorrect since it would be four quarters' weight).
Could anybody clarify?
Thanks,


Nobody is going to elaborate on this?

I would like to see a "that" after the second "than" in C, in order to compare Sacagawea dollar coin's weight and four quarters' coin.

please clarify
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2009
Posts: 1553
Location: New York, NY
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 644 [4] , given: 6

Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 11:34
4
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
noboru -- "I would like to see a "that" after the second "than" in C, in order to compare Sacagawea dollar coin's weight and four quarters' coin."

No, this is not right.
(C) says: "...because it weighs only 8.1 grams, far less than"
It weighs far less than four quarters. --this is correct.

Think: "I weigh more than him."--this is also correct. You do not need the word "that"---you DO need "that" if you say:

"Its weight is far less than that of four quarters." --Notice the difference between "it weighs" and "its weight"---one uses the word "weighs" as a VERB and the other uses "weight" as a NOUN.

seekmba--no I do not find anything wrong with "its" in A, D, and E.
_________________


... and more


Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)


GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2010
Posts: 443
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 112

Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 02:40
C ....correct idiom ...
and PILL has already given the magic pill

"far less than " describes weight ....
nothing else to comment
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 340
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 136

Re: [GMATPrep] SC - Sacagawea dollar coin [#permalink] New post 27 May 2013, 06:29
gmatpill wrote:

"Its weight is far less than that of four quarters." --Notice the difference between "it weighs" and "its weight"---one uses the word "weighs" as a VERB and the other uses "weight" as a NOUN.


Above Red Colored part is incorrect. It should be lower than, Since we are modifying Noun, an adjective rather than adverb should be used.

As an example;
My bills are lower than they were last year.
I spend less than I did last year.
_________________

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Location: India
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 20

Re: Officials at the United States Mint believe that the [#permalink] New post 30 May 2013, 22:23
Option C is correct. "weigh less than " is correct idiom."weigh ... lighter than" is wrong.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: Officials at the United States Mint believe that the [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2013, 03:33
Hi all, the answer is C that is different from that of the same pattern in the following:

The manager at the office supply store believes that the new CLP-300 laserjet printer will be used more as a replacement for printers in small offices and libraries rather than for high quality and feature-packed machines in large company settings because its noise emission, only 43 decibels, is far less than most other laserjet printers, which make about 50 decibels of noise each.

(A) more as a replacement for printers in small offices and libraries rather than for high quality and feature-packed machines in large company settings because its noise emission, only 43 decibels, is far less than
(B) more as a replacement for printers in small offices and libraries than high quality and feature-packed machines in large company settings because it emits only 43 decibels of noise, far quieter than
(C) as a replacement for printers in small offices and libraries more than for high quality and feature-packed machines in large company settings because it emits only 43 decibels of noise, far less than
(D) as a replacement for printers in small offices and libraries more than high quality and feature-packed machines in large company settings because its noise emission of only 43 decibels is far quieter than it is for
(E) as a replacement more for printers in small offices and libraries rather than for high quality and feature-packed machines in large company settings because its noise emission, only 43 decibels, is far less than than it is for

The answer is B

Could someone help explain?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 1725
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Officials at the United States Mint believe that the [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2014, 13:08
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Officials at the United States Mint believe that the   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2014, 13:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Officials at the Unites States Mint believe that the city92 8 20 Apr 2009, 19:22
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the LM 1 23 Jun 2007, 00:44
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the misterJJ2u 1 26 Jan 2007, 21:34
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the rookie06 9 08 Oct 2006, 10:57
Officials at the United States Mint believe that the joemama142000 3 09 Dec 2005, 15:30
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Officials at the United States Mint believe that the

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.