Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 20:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-19-2012
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 11

Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 05:55
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (01:00) correct 33% (01:15) wrong based on 171 sessions
Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players in the league have become concerned with the number of flagrant fouls occurring during league games. This past season, the number of flagrant fouls was double the number from the season before. League officials plan to reduce the number of such fouls during the coming season by implementing mandatory suspensions for players who commit flagrant fouls.

Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best evidence that the officials’ plan will be effective?

Most serious injuries occurring during league games are a direct result of flagrant fouls.

League referees have been trained to recognize flagrant fouls and to report incidents involving such fouls.

Parents of players in the league are in support of mandatory suspensions for flagrant fouls.

A similar league suspends players for committing flagrant fouls; this league has a relatively low incidence of flagrant fouls when compared with the Youth Hockey League.

Most players in the league strive to be selected for the All-Star team, and league rules state that no player with a record of suspension shall be selected for the All-Star team.

I picked D, although the reply did not seem incredibly convincing, but instead I ruled out E because it was introducing a new topic (All-Star team). Perhaps I stick too much to Kaplan's advice on strategy, but I want to hear different opinions.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 18:46
I would pick e.

option d discusses another league (although similar), and there are too many "ifs" in this as the other league would also have different players...coaches..etc...how do we know each league will "react" similarly? How do we know how many flagrant fouls they other league started with? maybe they started with far fewer fouls?

my reasoning at least.

E
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 367 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 19:26
valerjo79 wrote:
Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players in the league have become concerned with the number of flagrant fouls occurring during league games. This past season, the number of flagrant fouls was double the number from the season before. League officials plan to reduce the number of such fouls during the coming season by implementing mandatory suspensions for players who commit flagrant fouls.

Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best evidence that the officials’ plan will be effective?

Most serious injuries occurring during league games are a direct result of flagrant fouls.
League referees have been trained to recognize flagrant fouls and to report incidents involving such fouls.
Parents of players in the league are in support of mandatory suspensions for flagrant fouls.
A similar league suspends players for committing flagrant fouls; this league has a relatively low incidence of flagrant fouls when compared with the Youth Hockey League.
Most players in the league strive to be selected for the All-Star team, and league rules state that no player with a record of suspension shall be selected for the All-Star team.

I picked D, although the reply did not seem incredibly convincing, but instead I ruled out E because it was introducing a new topic (All-Star team). Perhaps I stick too much to Kaplan's advice on strategy, but I want to hear different opinions.

we have to look at answer choices in the context that "Which of the following statements, if true, provides the best evidence that the officials’ plan will be effective?"
Ans E tells us first that most players strive to play in All- star team and that the rules dont allow players with record of suspension. It is good enough a reason for players to be cautious of mandatory suspensions and not commit fouls.
On the other hand D talks about a similar league. but we dont know anything about that league. may be there are only friendly matches or may be there are relatively very few matches or could be anything else.

ans E it is!

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 19:46
marcusnaslund wrote:
I would pick e.

option d discusses another league (although similar), and there are too many "ifs" in this as the other league would also have different players...coaches..etc...how do we know each league will "react" similarly? How do we know how many flagrant fouls they other league started with? maybe they started with far fewer fouls?

my reasoning at least.

E

Thanks for your explanation why it is not (D) . But you didnt mention why E is correct. I am yet not convinced with the OE . E introduces a completely new topic.

thanks

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 12-19-2012
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2012, 22:20
I second Practicegmat as I am not fully convinced. As much as D introduces a new topic (a similar league), so does E (All-star game), although to some extent E seems to be more within the boundaries of the topic than D. With that said, I acknowledge the official reply, but I want to understand where the flaws in my reasoning are.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 15:27
Sorry, didn't realize I didn't fully answer your question!

I myself was not 100% sold on e, but the reasons I mentioned earlier made e same like the better choice than d.

my general rule of thumb, is to stick as close to the facts of the question.

In this case, I was torn between D and E.

D introduces compares an outcome with an entirely new population without mention key facts in the question or answer such as :

Does this other league play the same level of hockey? Did they both start with the same RATE of penalties? Is the game format the same? Are there other incentives to avoid taking penalties?

Since all of the facts are not mentioned in any way, and are critical in deciding if the new rule implementation is in fact succesful, we cannot accurately make this relation between the 2 leagues with making quite a few assumptions.

Answer E basically states that most players from THE LEAGUE IN QUESTION do not want to be suspended because they want to play in the all star game...Flagrant foul--->suspension---> No all star game

Since it states MOST players want to play in the all star game....it is likely they will commit fewer flagrant fouls to increase their chances of being selected to play.

In my eyes, there are still a few "what ifs" in this....but far fewer than the other options.

Hence E
Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 17:04
IMO, answer is E. D pertains to an example of another team which is out of context. You do not know if there were other factors that could have affected the foul's numbers. But E presents the team in context. Additionally it adds another valuable reason for why the plan would be more effective because the players would be more careful knowing they can be left out of All star league.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 57

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 09:10
Hi Guys,

Even though I picked "Option E" but I don't understand why "Option B" is wrong.

Please Explain.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 02:36
PrateekDua wrote:
Hi Guys,

Even though I picked "Option E" but I don't understand why "Option B" is wrong.

Please Explain.

Thanks!

E,
B is wrong because we are concerned with the effectiveness of the plan not the accuracy . Now, the plan will be effective if the number of fouls that are committed are brought down. Only option E gives us a reason as to why the plan will be effective.

Even if b were true, it would necessarily lead to fewer fouls being committed because it does not in any way indicate that suspension is a serious repercussion for your actions.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 06:19
valerjo79 wrote:
I second Practicegmat as I am not fully convinced. As much as D introduces a new topic (a similar league), so does E (All-star game), although to some extent E seems to be more within the boundaries of the topic than D. With that said, I acknowledge the official reply, but I want to understand where the flaws in my reasoning are.

Question is just very ambiguous.
As in contrast to official questions where there is always clearly just one right answer choice, a lot of CR questions from prep companies are vague.
I suggest you study LSAT questions, which are in my opinion the most closely related to official CR questions.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 670 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 40

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 10:23
I went with D because even if the leagues are not identical, it is telling you that the leagues are similar, and a similar rule produced the results they hope to achieve.

with E) it doesn't state whether or not most of the flagrant fouls are coming from those striving to achieve all-star status. There could be a subset that is causing the issue.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 56

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 03:15
As for D, even if some other league was successful in gaining efficacy of a similar plan, the same plan may or may not produce similar result in our situation. This may be one of the strengtheners but not the best strengthener.

E states that most of players in the league strive to be selected for the All star team. So getting selected to All star team is a major goal for most of the players. Anything that jeopardizes their selection is then cause of worry to the players, therefore they will curb their tendency to commit flagrant fouls.

So, while both D & E strengthen the argument, E strengthens it more than D, Therefore E is the answer.

Click on Kudos if you liked the post!

Practice makes Perfect.

Re: Officials of the Youth Hockey League and parents of players   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2013, 03:15