Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 09:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

63% (02:38) correct 38% (02:38) wrong based on 17 sessions
Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk of an oil spill, but importing oil on tankers presently
entails an even greater such risk per barrel of oil. Therefore, if we are to reduce the risk of an oil spill without
curtailing our use of oil, we must invest more in offshore operations and import less oil on tankers.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?
(A) Tankers can easily be redesigned so that their use entails less risk of an oil spill.
(B) Oil spills caused by tankers have generally been more serious than those caused by offshore operations.
(C) The impact of offshore operations on the environment can be controlled by careful management.
(D) Offshore operations usually damage the ocean floor, but tankers rarely cause such damage.
(E) Importing oil on tankers is currently less expensive than drilling for it offshore
I am confused between options A & E. According to CR bible, we have to weaken the conclusion so option E seems good. But , option A weakens the premises. I dont know which one is correct. am I missing any point?plz explain. I saw this post in this forum,but nobody explained my doubt
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 2

Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 10:13
Hello TomB,

Our primary concern over here is oil spill and not monetary benefit.
According to the author bringing oil in tanker is very risk, but If we can prove to the author there are methods to make this process risk free then we are proving him wrong and A does just that.

(A) Tankers can easily be redesigned so that their use entails less risk of an oil spill.: correct

But options D and E talk about damage to ocean flour and monetary benefit and both are irrelevant in the present context,

(D) Offshore operations usually damage the ocean floor, but tankers rarely cause such damage.
(E) Importing oil on tankers is currently less expensive than drilling for it offshore.

Other options ,

B supports author .
C is irrelevant.

Hope this helps :)
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 319 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2009, 12:13
Expert's post
A

The argument is for curtailing the risk of oil spills. Only A address the risk. E does not address the argument.

Diversity

CEO
CEO
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 482 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 21:43
TomB wrote:
Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk of an oil spill, but importing oil on tankers presently
entails an even greater such risk per barrel of oil. Therefore, if we are to reduce the risk of an oil spill without curtailing our use of oil, we must invest more in offshore operations and import less oil on tankers.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument above?

(A) Tankers can easily be redesigned so that their use entails less risk of an oil spill.
(B) Oil spills caused by tankers have generally been more serious than those caused by offshore operations.
(C) The impact of offshore operations on the environment can be controlled by careful management.
(E) Importing oil on tankers is currently less expensive than drilling for it offshore

It has to be A.

The conclusion is that " Offshore oil-drilling operations" is less risky than "importing oil on tankers". Therefore "importing oil on tankers" should be reduced.

A says that "tankers importing oil" are more flexible to redisigned for safe oil importing. If so, then "tankers importing oil" should be used so that "tankers importing oil" can be redisigned as and when necessary so that the risk can be controlled.

Does any other choice offers the same possibility? No.

Therefore, it is A.

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 07:39
It has to be A as we are concerned about oil spills and not the monetary benefits.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2009, 23:26
-If tankers can be redesigned, then it make no sense to invest in offshore operations. SO CORRECT

-The argument talks only of risk and not on degree of risk . SO INCORRECT

-Strengthens. SO INCORRECT

- Strengthens. SO INCORRECT

Strengthens
-The argument talks only of risk and not on cost . SO INCORRECT
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2009, 00:34
A
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.82
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2011, 14:06
I've a problem with this answer choice. The choice says the risk of spill can be reduced, but doesn't say the risk of the spill can be reduced to a level lower than that of offshore operations. So I'm not too convinced that A should be the right choice.

Give me kudos if you like my post!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: oil tankers [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2011, 06:12
bschool2014 wrote:
I've a problem with this answer choice. The choice says the risk of spill can be reduced, but doesn't say the risk of the spill can be reduced to a level lower than that of offshore operations. So I'm not too convinced that A should be the right choice.

You are right, wording could have been litlle more better! but again no other choice come even near to be good enough :wink: no :?:

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 10

Re: Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 23:30
As per power score "You are more likely to encounter an ans that hurts the argument but does not ultimately destroy the author's position. Would this answer choice make the author reconsider his / her position or force the author to respond".

Hope that helps.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 14:52
A it is.

Sky is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 23:51
+1 for A
Re: Offshore oil-drilling operations entail an unavoidable risk   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2011, 23:51