Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 05:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(Often Overlooked) Interview Tip for Kellogg!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 2.77
WE: General Management (Education)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

(Often Overlooked) Interview Tip for Kellogg! [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2014, 20:59
Hi,

I gave my Kellogg Interview some time back. There are a few things I would like to share about Kellogg Interview.

Kellogg interviews virtually everyone, so dont be overtly excited about being interviewed. Since you will get the questions anywhere, I will drive home a few points that I overlooked.

1. You have the flexibility to schedule the interview. Time it to the most energetic part of the day.
The interviewer has to ask questions, and LISTEN to the answers, write them down and send it back to the college. I accidentally timed it post lunch. It was plain bad timing. The interviewer was a CEO level person and had clearly had a good lunch. He was fighting yawns, ordering tea and was constantly losing focus of the conversation. There was a clear interest in my stories, and he was tempted to relate his own stories, but I clearly saw the interview digressing a lot, and never coming back to the core questions mentioned in the various blogs.

2. Interviewer has to send notes back. And a good whole lot has to be written. So the interviewer has to have answers to the standard questions mentioned everywhere on the net for Kellogg questions.
I believe even if the interview went well, and you could relate professionally or personally to the interviewer, the interview should have answered all questions for the interviewer and he should ideally have taken notes. In my case the interviewer did not pick up the pen to write down notes. Coupled with his lost focus and intermittent yawns, I felt I dominated the interview and caught the interviewer missing points I mentioned earlier in the conversation to which the interviewer was clearly embarrassed. We shared our own stories and I felt I was better than him at times. However, at the end of the interview, I clearly felt he had missed asking a few questions, and would be short of material while answering questions for the institute.

3. Try and not veer too much from the clear cut answers if the interviewer is not paying/ not able to pay attention.
I am not trying to be patronizing or condescending here. But the questions are usually standard and it is possible for a candidate to be very well prepared. It is not the same at the side of the interviewer who may take his/her job leniently, and has to listen carefully where all applicants are different. But his line of thinking might be - After all he or she has to ask just a few questions; How difficult can it be. So, at times, I have felt the interviewer overawed by my experience (eg in case of USC Marshall where she[Adcom member] floundered and stammered throughout the interview, and eventually I was not selected). In case of Kellogg, the interviewer was not overawed, he was fatigued. Either way, when I tried and inserted answers (such as Long term goals) into answers for other questions, it kind of backfired because one, he was not paying attention and two, he was no longer sure which questions had already been answered. We ended up sharing our stories, talking a bit about alumni activity instead. And I knew he was not taking notes. My point in the whole matter is, it is your duty as well to make the interviewer comfortable.

At the end of it all, mostly you dont get through because you are not a good fit for the college. So if you see the interview happening outside the laid out domains, either you are a clear fit or you are a clear reject, which allows the interviewer to veer off the conventional lines of questioning.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
(Often Overlooked) Interview Tip for Kellogg!   [#permalink] 02 Apr 2014, 20:59