Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Posts: 80
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 19:03
go for C
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2007, 19:16
A.Haung wrote:
go for C

I vaguely remember seeing this one.

Can you explain why its C and not B? thx.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 11 Jun 2007
Posts: 649
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 06:26
I will go with
E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bone other than ankle bones.

If orthopedists routinely DO NOT order follow up x-rays for fractures of ankle bones, then they may presume that fractures of ankle bones need not be x-rayed. Although it might have been better to qualify the choice with 'stable' ankle fractures rather than just 'fractures', it is the best of the lot, I guess.

C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several
hospitals were reviewed.

I would have chosen (C) if it were more specific. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists....patients need not have ankle injuries but some other bone related injuries.

B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.

I would have chose (B) if it said many ankle 'fractures' and not 'injuries'.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2007
Posts: 68
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 07:40
would go for C...but am not very sure..please when posting the OA...give the OE..also..this seems to be a very weird question though :(
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 48
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: critical reasoning-solve this [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 08:15
I will go with C because we need to ascertain that the x-rays reviewed were diverse with different kinds of patients, orthopedisits and equipments in each case. That is the only way we can make a generalized statement about waste of money.
I feel B is not right, because it talks about intital x-rays and not the follow-up xrays. Also it says "many ankle injuries"...which is not a case for generalization.
I think E is wrong. The fact that orthos order follow-up xrays of other bones, tells you nothing about follow-up xrays of ankle bones. It does not mean that follow-up xrays for ankle bones are not ordered. We do not also know the results of the follow-up xrays of the other bones as well. SO all in all, E is kind of irrelevant I feel.

If anything D goes against the argument.
A is irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Posts: 149
Schools: UCLA Anderson School of Mgmt (FEMBA Class of 2013)
WE 1: 7.5 years in Engg. Consulting
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 10:35
I will go with D also.

If doctors check the healing of surgically repaired ankle by means of X-ray, it follows that taking X-rays are good enough to identify whether it is stable or not and therefore, if they can do this initiall and judge that it is stable then no more x-rays are required.

However, I am not 100% convinced with this either , but feel better than other choices.

C does not say anything that will help in saying that one time x-ray is good enough.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 64
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 11:13
I will go with C. Whats the OA, please?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 477
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
answer to q [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 19:01
Homies, the answer's B.
I guess all of u missed it.

Eyunni, you were close man, but u missed it.
Thats the thing with these CRs. They are all f*** up.

I ll post my explanations soon.I am in a hurry right now.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2007
Posts: 52
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: critical reasoning-solve this [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 20:21
vscid wrote:
Try this one chums:


Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not
require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists
are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture.
When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all
the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have
healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up
x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
A. Doctors who are general practitioners rather than orthopedists are
less likely than orthopedists to judge the stability of an ankle fracture
correctly.
B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed
by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.
C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several
hospitals were reviewed.
D. The healing of ankle fractures that have been surgically repaired is
always checked by means of a follow-up x-ray.
E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bone
other than ankle bones.


Like most GMAT verbal questions, the difficulty is not in the passage but in the answer choices. GMAT verbal does intentionally make the answer choices unncessarily verbose and confusing. GMAT should test the logical reasoning of test takers, not the ability to clear confusion in a bad written English sentence. Unfortunately, this is the way GMAT operates and it is unfair to non-native English speakers.

In CR, it's very important that you can distinguish between the premises and the conclusion. Then it's much simpler to answer the question.

I actually picked B before looking at all the responses and answers. The conclusion of the passage is: "It's a waste of money to order follow-up x-ray of ankle fractures intially judged stable." The premise that strengthens the conclusion above would provide fact/information that further prove that taking x-ray is unecessary and wasteful. Of all answer choices, B shows that many x-rays ordered for ankle injuries do not show fracture of the ankle. Thus, it makes follow-up x-rays unnecessary & wasteful.

Wonder if that makes sense? :)
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 2593
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 0

Re: critical reasoning-solve this [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2007, 21:10
tnguyen707 wrote:
vscid wrote:
Try this one chums:


Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not
require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists
are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture.
When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all
the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have
healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up
x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
A. Doctors who are general practitioners rather than orthopedists are
less likely than orthopedists to judge the stability of an ankle fracture
correctly.
B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed
by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.
C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several
hospitals were reviewed.
D. The healing of ankle fractures that have been surgically repaired is
always checked by means of a follow-up x-ray.
E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bone
other than ankle bones.


Like most GMAT verbal questions, the difficulty is not in the passage but in the answer choices. GMAT verbal does intentionally make the answer choices unncessarily verbose and confusing. GMAT should test the logical reasoning of test takers, not the ability to clear confusion in a bad written English sentence. Unfortunately, this is the way GMAT operates and it is unfair to non-native English speakers.

In CR, it's very important that you can distinguish between the premises and the conclusion. Then it's much simpler to answer the question.

I actually picked B before looking at all the responses and answers. The conclusion of the passage is: "It's a waste of money to order follow-up x-ray of ankle fractures intially judged stable." The premise that strengthens the conclusion above would provide fact/information that further prove that taking x-ray is unecessary and wasteful. Of all answer choices, B shows that many x-rays ordered for ankle injuries do not show fracture of the ankle. Thus, it makes follow-up x-rays unnecessary & wasteful.

Wonder if that makes sense? :)



Guys ur all missing it. I specifically remember this question from a earlier post. My answer was also B. However, the OA is C.

Unless the dude who posted it decided to be cynical, then the OA is C.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 477
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: critical reasoning-solve this [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 08:40
tnguyen707 wrote:
vscid wrote:
Try this one chums:


Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not
require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists
are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture.
When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all
the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have
healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up
x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.
Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?
A. Doctors who are general practitioners rather than orthopedists are
less likely than orthopedists to judge the stability of an ankle fracture
correctly.
B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed
by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.
C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several
hospitals were reviewed.
D. The healing of ankle fractures that have been surgically repaired is
always checked by means of a follow-up x-ray.
E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bone
other than ankle bones.


Like most GMAT verbal questions, the difficulty is not in the passage but in the answer choices. GMAT verbal does intentionally make the answer choices unncessarily verbose and confusing. GMAT should test the logical reasoning of test takers, not the ability to clear confusion in a bad written English sentence. Unfortunately, this is the way GMAT operates and it is unfair to non-native English speakers.
Man, its unfair for native English speakers too, trust me.
In CR, it's very important that you can distinguish between the premises and the conclusion. Then it's much simpler to answer the question.

I actually picked B before looking at all the responses and answers. The conclusion of the passage is: "It's a waste of money to order follow-up x-ray of ankle fractures intially judged stable." The premise that strengthens the conclusion above would provide fact/information that further prove that taking x-ray is unecessary and wasteful. Of all answer choices, B shows that many x-rays ordered for ankle injuries do not show fracture of the ankle. Thus, it makes follow-up x-rays unnecessary & wasteful.

Wonder if that makes sense? :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2007
Posts: 64
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2007, 08:50
Still not convinced with B . I beleive its C.

The paragraph clearly mentions that on the first time , the fractures are found to be stable whereas your option B indicates that there are no fractures at the first time which are contradicting.

Is that convincing?
11 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2007
Posts: 146
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 210 [11] , given: 0

Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:12
11
This post received
KUDOS
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not
require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists
are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture.
When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all
the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have
healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up
x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Doctors who are general practitioners rather than orthopedists are
less likely than orthopedists to judge the stability of an ankle fracture
correctly.
B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed
by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.
C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several
hospitals were reviewed.
D. The healing of ankle fractures that have been surgically repaired is
always checked by means of a follow-up x-ray.
E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bone
other than ankle bones.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 01 Jan 2008
Posts: 629
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 1

Re: CR - Ankle fractures [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:28
JCLEONES wrote:
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and thus do not
require surgery, are given follow-up x-rays because their orthopedists
are concerned about possibly having misjudged the stability of the fracture.
When a number of follow-up x-rays were reviewed, however, all
the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have
healed correctly. Therefore, it is a waste of money to order follow-up
x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.

Which of the following, if true, most strengthens the argument?

A. Doctors who are general practitioners rather than orthopedists are
less likely than orthopedists to judge the stability of an ankle fracture
correctly.
B. Many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed
by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle.
C. X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in several
hospitals were reviewed.
D. The healing of ankle fractures that have been surgically repaired is
always checked by means of a follow-up x-ray.
E. Orthopedists routinely order follow-up x-rays for fractures of bone
other than ankle bones.


C supports that the statistics are representative.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 86
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Ankle fractures [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:47
Its a tough call between B & C.

IMO C is tempting but not the right answer. We are concerned here whether follow-ups are necessary or just a waste of money?

What if X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in the SAME hospital were reviewed and found that patients have fractures indeed. I think it is not that important whether sample is diverse rather whether x-ray follow-ups are necessary?

B states that many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle therefore it supports the conclusion that money is wasted.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 541
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Ankle fractures [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:49
Conclustion: it is a waste of money to order follow-up x-rays of ankle fracture initially judged stable.

We are looking for the answer that indicates follow up x-rays are not needed.

One premise tells us that: 'all the fractures that had initially been judged stable were found to have healed correctly.'

Statement C helps to strengthen this argument by stating that many patients in many hospitals were reviewed thereby increasing the likelyhood that the findings were correct and reducing the need for follow-up x-rays.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 541
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Ankle fractures [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:51
ontheway wrote:
Its a tough call between B & C.

IMO C is tempting but not the right answer. We are concerned here whether follow-ups are necessary or just a waste of money?

What if X-rays of patients of many different orthopedists working in the SAME hospital were reviewed and found that patients have fractures indeed. I think it is not that important whether sample is diverse rather whether x-ray follow-ups are necessary?

B states that many ankle injuries for which an initial x-ray is ordered are revealed by the x-ray not to involve any fracture of the ankle therefore it supports the conclusion that money is wasted.


Statment B is indicating that money is waster on initial x-rays, but not follow-up x-rays. The conclusion is only concerned with follow-up x-rays.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Oct 2007
Posts: 86
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Ankle fractures [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 09:54
wowwwww...
simply missed word initial x-ray.

:beat gixxer1000
You are the one who is beating :)
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2007
Posts: 541
Schools: Stern, McCombs, Marshall, Wharton
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Ankle fractures [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 10:06
ontheway wrote:
wowwwww...
simply missed word initial x-ray.

:beat gixxer1000
You are the one who is beating :)


Thanks, I got a 25 on verbal so any boost to my confidence helps :lol:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Feb 2007
Posts: 120
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Ankle fractures [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2008, 11:28
I would go with B as well.
Re: CR - Ankle fractures   [#permalink] 11 Feb 2008, 11:28
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and JCLEONES 0 18 Apr 2008, 05:41
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and alimad 0 21 Jun 2013, 11:44
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and Fistail 0 12 Aug 2007, 00:31
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and Himalayan 0 29 Dec 2006, 06:34
Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and jerrywu 0 13 Sep 2006, 21:35
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Often patients with ankle fractures that are stable, and

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 141 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.