Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 11:11

Going on right now!

Interview Invites from Chicago - Booth | Join the chat room for Live Updates.

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 06:39
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I was wondering why people say that the OG has to be done 2-3 times, doing it the 2nd time dosent seem to help.

DO OG 12 Questions re appear in the GMAT with nouns changed ? i.e. just the names/variables changed but the Question format, testing point being the same.

Thanks.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 36

Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 08:17
I sure hope so!

I don't think it would be too much of a stretch to see the same/very similar math problems with the numbers changed. Also, I can see the same thing happening with SC, with just the sentence topic changed.

Can anyone confirm?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9436 [1] , given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
There are patterns to questions but there are quite a bit more changes than just names/nouns.
You can spot patterns to most question types even after working on the OG for a few days but the nature of the GMAT is that you will see a lot more variety of patterns on the test day -gmat always has something up its sleeve that you don't expect....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 988 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 09:03
bb wrote:
There are patterns to questions but there are quite a bit more changes than just names/nouns.
You can spot patterns to most question types even after working on the OG for a few days but the nature of the GMAT is that you will see a lot more variety of patterns on the test day -gmat always has something up its sleeve that you don't expect....

BB could you pls elaborate more on "PATTERNS".

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:03
bb wrote:

Thanks for confirming, i thought that it was too much to assume that the questions are going to repeat themselves in the exam.

You got kudos.

If you found the reply to be helpful, give kudos.

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Kudos [?]: 9436 [0], given: 3701

Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:10
Expert's post
BlueRobin wrote:

Thanks for confirming, i thought that it was too much to assume that the questions are going to repeat themselves in the exam.

You got kudos.

:thanks

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:12
Expert's post
gurpreetsingh wrote:

BB could you pls elaborate more on "PATTERNS".

Well, there are certain patterns of questions, such as different types of DS questions with traps or 4 or 5 work-problem patterns or certain probability question patterns - after a while you start picking them up and are able to solve them faster. That's really how all questions work - we see the setup and the question and then our mind finds the solution based on our prior experience. What GMAT does somtimes is it finds new types of questions that we have never seen in the past and that gives us a run for the money.

Founder of GMAT Club

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 988 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:26
wow that's great!! i didn't knew this :lol: ( actually I hav'nt touched Og's yet)

That means after revising OG's 2-3 times, chances of increasing the score will definitely improve.
Like...if we are scoring 31/37 on say Gmatclub and after OG's thorough revision+ gmatprep +poweprep, scoring 33-35/37 on real test will be easy.

Do these patterns highly repeated on Verbal part as well? Like similar CR questions/ SC

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 11:42
Expert's post
GMAC knows about this and patterns and they regularly invent questions that don't follow them, so your chances of acing GMAT by just taking thousands of questions are very slim - you need to know the basics very well and pay attention as you will get caught very easily (they put traps).

Founder of GMAT Club

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 12

Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 14:35
This post received
KUDOS
regarding learning the concepts rather than recognising repeating questions... :

ok I just had a major breakthrough regarding learning the MGMAT material...

So I've gone through the books, as mentioned before, and now can't remember too much... I was wracking my brain trying to work out how the hell I would learn the material, and I remembered from my school & uni days how to study maths (FINALLY! I wish I remembered this 3 months ago), specifically how to learn math concepts cold. I went to http://www.flashcardmachine.com/ and started doing some flash cards, then I remembered I should be testing myself on all the little nuances in the books, particularly stuff I didn't quite grasp the first time around.

By testing myself I mean doing flash cards like Q: An ODD number divided by an EVEN integer CANNOT produce an integer. TRUE or FALSE? A: TRUE --> An ODD number divided by an EVEN integer CANNOT produce an integer. This is because the odd number will NEVER be divisible by the factor of 2 concealed within the EVEN number.

and I did literally tonight around 200 flash cards like this for the Number Properties book for stuff I still haven't learnt cold 100%. So the flash cards weren't so much flash cards like 'the formula for this is ...' but more like little mini test questions to make sure I understand the concepts. IF a concept was a bit tricky I would do multiple flash card questions for it, covering all the different angles in the MGMAT book including some of the examples they give...

If you register at http://www.flashcardmachine.com/ and look up my username (n2739178) you should be able to see all the flash cards I've made so far.

I know it may seem tedious to go through all these cards day in day out, but I'm going to do 30-40 random flash cards a day from them (you can choose a random flash test mode on the site) until I know it all down pat. There's not a lot actually that I still have to learn for Number Properties but I've forgotten a lot of key concepts and these need to be re-cemented into my brain. The other key concepts that I do remember obviously I didn't make flash cards for.

So my aim now is to do 30-40 of these flash cards a day for each book, until I feel I've remembered almost all of it, then do all the OG questions again listed for each book. Then I'll have a cemented knowledge of the concepts and should be able to tackle the questions a lot more easily and not make as many conceptual errors.

So yeah, thought I'd share that. I used to do that at uni and in high school but I completely forgot about it. I hope this helps someone in the same boat as me (i.e. covered all the MGMAT books then forgotten half of them).

Also a tip - read and re-read each chapter in each book, no matter how tedious or boring it is to do so. I have really found this has also helped immensely to cement concepts that I either forgot or never learnt properly in the first place, some concepts even popped out of the page at me that I never noticed at all!!

And one more thing - by this stage I've done most of the end of chapter problem sets, however there were always a few questions that threw a curve-ball at me so I'm rereading the questions and I can remember which ones they were that I had a WTF moment with... so I'm redoing those questions only now (the other ones I could still remember how to do easily).

Finally my studying is on track again and I'm studying effectively. Thank god for that... Was really starting to stress out!

One more tip: I'm also going to start making these flash cards for errors I come across in the OG questions... key conceptual errors or tricks to answer those sorts of questions, so I learn the concepts involved in those problems, if that makes sense.
Re: OG 12 Questions do they repeat in GMAT   [#permalink] 07 Oct 2010, 14:35