Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 12:SC:Question 8The widely accepted big bang theory holds

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Tuck '16 (S)
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Analyst (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
OG 12:SC:Question 8The widely accepted big bang theory holds [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2013, 21:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
The widely accepted big bang theory holds that the
universe began in an explosive instant ten to twenty
billion years ago and has been expanding ever since.

In the e- gmat application file -1, a similar question is asked. and it is told that if "since" is there in the sentence ,"past/present perfect" is correct choice. However, in the question above , the present perfect continuous tense is used. I do understand that meaning of sentence intends a continuous action, however, "ever since" also tells us that action is started in past and continues in present. this is perfect case for present perfect tense. then why presnt perfect is not correct answer choice.
Also clarify whether the present perfect as well as present perfect continious are both right forms of tense that should be used in sentence like the one above.

Last edited by abhijitmoholakar on 30 Nov 2013, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Economist GMAT Tutor Instructor
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG 12:SC:Question 8The widely accepted big bang theory holds [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
abhijitmoholakar wrote:

In the e- gmat application file -1, a similar question is asked. and it is told that if "since" is there in the sentence ,"past/present perfect" is correct choice. However, in the question above , the present perfect continuous tense is used. I do understand that meaning of sentence intends a continuous action, however, "ever since" also tells us that action is started in past and continues in present. this is perfect case for past perfect tense. then why past perfect is not in correct answer choice.
Also clarify whether the present perfect as well as present perfect continious are both right forms of tense that should be used in sentence like the one above.

When an action starts in the past and continues until now, it is definitely not a proper context to use the past perfect tense. The past perfect tense is used when an action happens before another action in the past. For example:
When I came to the station, me friends HAD already DEPARTED.

Economist GMAT Tutor
http://econgm.at/econgmattutor
(866) 292-0660

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG 12:SC:Question 8The widely accepted big bang theory holds [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2013, 21:11
This post received
KUDOS
From what I understand the present perfect tense cannot be used to refer to an action that started in the past and 'continues' into the present. We must use the present perfect continuous tense in such cases. The present perfect, AFAIK, refers to completed actions that were completed at an unspecific time in the past. If the time is specified then we need to go with the simple past tense.

Here's how I got a 760 on the GMAT

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1188

Kudos [?]: 3161 [1] , given: 176

Re: OG 12:SC:Question 8The widely accepted big bang theory holds [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2013, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
abhijitmoholakar wrote:

In the e- gmat application file -1, a similar question is asked. and it is told that if "since" is there in the sentence ,"past/present perfect" is correct choice. However, in the question above , the present perfect continuous tense is used. I do understand that meaning of sentence intends a continuous action, however, "ever since" also tells us that action is started in past and continues in present. this is perfect case for present perfect tense. then why presnt perfect is not correct answer choice.

Hi Abhijit,

Thanks for posting your query here. :-)

The present perfect tense is used to refer to an action that is complete, while the present perfect continuous tense is used to refer to an action that is not yet complete.

For example:

1. She has written a book.
2. She has been writing a book.

The first means that she has finished writing the book, and the second means that she is still writing the book.

In this question, the meaning is not that the universe has finished expanding, but that it is still expanding. So, we need the present perfect continuous tense.

Both forms of tense are correct and should be used in accordance with the intended meaning of the sentence.

I hope this helps to clarify your doubt!

Regards,
Meghna

Free Webinar: July 26, 2014 - Ace GMAT RC: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to apply the Reading Strategies critical to ace the GMAT Reading Comprehension. Click here to register.

Re: OG 12:SC:Question 8The widely accepted big bang theory holds   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2013, 11:25