Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 04:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2009, 04:53
Minheequang wrote:
city92 wrote:
You can all get the answer and explanation from OG, but one thing is not clear to me. I would appreciate if someone can explain:

if you look at the choice c:
C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.

'is caused' make this a full clause isn't it?
a phenomenon "that most scientists agree" is caused by human...

If inserted into the main setnese above, it should be connected by the conjuncion because it is a independent clause, otherwise it looks like this:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

Obviously, since the answer is C, I suppose i should have interpreted it as
a phenomenon that "most scientists agree" is caused by human...

Then, this will make better sense in main sentense as whole:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

If so, what is the grammatical function(or name) for this, yet another clause "most scientists agree" in between? (another full clause with no conjunction)

I think it's simple, mate
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels -->that here is a relative pronoun modifies for a phenomenon

As if we commonly think, it can be written as: a phenomenon that is caused by human .... where that here modifies for a phenomenon and stands at the subject position of the new clause

But this clause offered by the choice (C) here is written as: a phenomenon that most scientist agree is caused ... where a phenomenon here is still modified by that but it plays a role of an object in the clause modifying for it, and therefore, most scientists will be the subject of such clause
More clearly, we can re-write it as: most scientist agree global warming (a phenomenon) is caused by human being's burning of fossil fuels --> you can see the object role of a phenomenon, or global warming, in this re-written clause
Such structure is still called a clause modifying for a Noun, and they are connected by a relative pronoun, whatsoever the role of such Noun (Subject or Object) in the modifying clause. Maybe I can't remember its official name, but as I mentioned, lets simply call Noun-modifying clause

hi there! I have searched a lot and this post seems the only one that asks my question. I have read all the replies. But I am still confused.
In the rewritten sentence: most scientist agree global warming (a phenomenon) is caused by human being's burning of fossil fuels, there are two verbs: agree and is caused. this is obviously unacceptable. Even though we see it as most scientist agree that..., two problems remain:
1. agree that appears to not be an idiom, compared to agree with or agree on;
2. even though "agree that" IS an idiom, on GMAT, such "that" can not be omitted and "a phenomenon" can no longer be the object of "agree" so that "a phenomenon" cannot be modified by "that" clause.
Okay, totally confused, plz help me explain it!!! thx!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2011, 21:40
Please help~Why the answer choice B is incorrect and why "that is" should immediately follow phenomenon? I am so confused~><

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 05:46
StefanoYoung wrote:
Minheequang wrote:
city92 wrote:
You can all get the answer and explanation from OG, but one thing is not clear to me. I would appreciate if someone can explain:

if you look at the choice c:
C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.

'is caused' make this a full clause isn't it?
a phenomenon "that most scientists agree" is caused by human...

If inserted into the main setnese above, it should be connected by the conjuncion because it is a independent clause, otherwise it looks like this:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

Obviously, since the answer is C, I suppose i should have interpreted it as
a phenomenon that "most scientists agree" is caused by human...

Then, this will make better sense in main sentense as whole:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

If so, what is the grammatical function(or name) for this, yet another clause "most scientists agree" in between? (another full clause with no conjunction)

I think it's simple, mate
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels -->that here is a relative pronoun modifies for a phenomenon

As if we commonly think, it can be written as: a phenomenon that is caused by human .... where that here modifies for a phenomenon and stands at the subject position of the new clause

But this clause offered by the choice (C) here is written as: a phenomenon that most scientist agree is caused ... where a phenomenon here is still modified by that but it plays a role of an object in the clause modifying for it, and therefore, most scientists will be the subject of such clause
More clearly, we can re-write it as: most scientist agree global warming (a phenomenon) is caused by human being's burning of fossil fuels --> you can see the object role of a phenomenon, or global warming, in this re-written clause
Such structure is still called a clause modifying for a Noun, and they are connected by a relative pronoun, whatsoever the role of such Noun (Subject or Object) in the modifying clause. Maybe I can't remember its official name, but as I mentioned, lets simply call Noun-modifying clause

hi there! I have searched a lot and this post seems the only one that asks my question. I have read all the replies. But I am still confused.
In the rewritten sentence: most scientist agree global warming (a phenomenon) is caused by human being's burning of fossil fuels, there are two verbs: agree and is caused. this is obviously unacceptable. Even though we see it as most scientist agree that..., two problems remain:
1. agree that appears to not be an idiom, compared to agree with or agree on;
2. even though "agree that" IS an idiom, on GMAT, such "that" can not be omitted and "a phenomenon" can no longer be the object of "agree" so that "a phenomenon" cannot be modified by "that" clause.
Okay, totally confused, plz help me explain it!!! thx!

Bro, think it that way:
A book that I read is written by....
A phenomenon that most agree is caused by...

Did you see the analogy ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 20

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2011, 05:54
Sorry, internal contradiction, then it will not be an appositive :evil:
There is a huge controversy here
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 12

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2012, 02:47
I was indecided between C and D and wrongly chose D. Now I can see that C makes more sense hence the meaning is conversed (it is the burning of the fuels that causes...). The last part of the senctence appears a little bit wordy to me as well compared to answer choice D. However, the biggest impediment for me as a non-native speaker was the part "that most scientist agree is caused", which sounded odd to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kudos

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 5

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 14:50
I have chosen C for the answer choice:

A. "to be" and "human beings in burning..." is very wordy. Grammatically, I couldn't see anything incorrect, but this sentence could definitely be more concise.

B. The placement of "that" is incorrect" - it should be placed right after "a phenomenon" and not "agree."

C. The use of the appositive to describe global warming makes sense. Also, the placement of "that" is correct which describes what scientists are agreeing on.

D. The use of "which" makes things a bit more confusing. Also, the use of "who" is not necessary.

E. Again, the use of "which" is a bit wordy here. The meaning is also slightly changed because it sounds like the phenomenon is caused by fossil fuels rather than the burning of fossil fuels.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 10:26
C is the correct answer in my opinion
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 569 [0], given: 107

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 01:31
Expert's post
city92 wrote:
OG 12th SC, 118

The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientsts agree to be caused by human begings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

a) A phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
b) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels
d) which most scientists agree on as phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
e) which most scientists agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

hi e-GMAT,
Can you please come up with an analysis of this question and help me understand why A is wrong ?

Appreciate your feedback.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2013, 14:32
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 00:14
this sc problem is relative to the following pattern:

main clause+noun+noun modifier

noun+noun modifier can modify the whole clause.

another similar pattern is

main+noun+noun modifier

but in this pattern, noun+noun modifier modifies a noun in the main clause

for example

I learn the english spoken in countris in North America which have developed into the richest countries in the wold, the language loved by most persons.

"language loved by most persons" modifies "the english"

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2013, 00:14