Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 17:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife fund has declared that [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2009, 15:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

58% (01:57) correct 42% (01:04) wrong based on 49 sessions
OG 12th SC, 118

The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming, a phenomenon most scientsts agree to be caused by human begings in burning fossil fuels, will create havoc among migratory birds by altering the enviroment in ways harmful to their habitats.

a) A phenomenon most scientists agree to be caused by human beings in burning fossil fuels,
b) a phenomenon most scientists agree that is caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings,
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels
d) which most scientists agree on as phenomenon caused by human beings who burn fossil fuels,
e) which most scientsts agree to be a phenomenon caused by fossil fuels burned by human beings

Last edited by city92 on 19 Apr 2009, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 68 [3] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 09:47
This post received
KUDOS
city92 wrote:
You can all get the answer and explanation from OG, but one thing is not clear to me. I would appreciate if someone can explain:

if you look at the choice c:
C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.

'is caused' make this a full clause isn't it?
a phenomenon "that most scientists agree" is caused by human...

If inserted into the main setnese above, it should be connected by the conjuncion because it is a independent clause, otherwise it looks like this:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

Obviously, since the answer is C, I suppose i should have interpreted it as
a phenomenon that "most scientists agree" is caused by human...

Then, this will make better sense in main sentense as whole:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

If so, what is the grammatical function(or name) for this, yet another clause "most scientists agree" in between? (another full clause with no conjunction)

I think it's simple, mate
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels -->that here is a relative pronoun modifies for a phenomenon

As if we commonly think, it can be written as: a phenomenon that is caused by human .... where that here modifies for a phenomenon and stands at the subject position of the new clause

But this clause offered by the choice (C) here is written as: a phenomenon that most scientist agree is caused ... where a phenomenon here is still modified by that but it plays a role of an object in the clause modifying for it, and therefore, most scientists will be the subject of such clause
More clearly, we can re-write it as: most scientist agree global warming (a phenomenon) is caused by human being's burning of fossil fuels --> you can see the object role of a phenomenon, or global warming, in this re-written clause
Such structure is still called a clause modifying for a Noun, and they are connected by a relative pronoun, whatsoever the role of such Noun (Subject or Object) in the modifying clause. Maybe I can't remember its official name, but as I mentioned, lets simply call Noun-modifying clause
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
dhushan wrote:
Hey everyone, just been introduced to this forum and can easily see how everyone finds it as a useful tool. In regards to this question, why is there an apostrophe after the "s" in human beings (i.e. "human beings' "). I am assuming that there is a pretty basic explanation but could not find anything specific through my google searches.

Thanks
Dhushan

Nouns which in the plural take "s" ending, require only apostrophe (') without 's' in order to form their possessive form.
e.g. a student - a student's house
students - students' house
BUT child's house - children's house ( cause 'child' changes into 'children' in plural not by adding "s")

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2009, 15:33
You can all get the answer and explanation from OG, but one thing is not clear to me. I would appreciate if someone can explain:

C) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels.

If inserted into the main setnese above, it should be connected by the conjuncion because it is a independent clause, otherwise it looks like this:
A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

A World Wilfe fund has declard that global warming, a phenomenon that is caused by human beings' burning of fossil fuels, will create havoc.....

If so, what is the grammatical function(or name) for this, yet another clause "most scientists agree" in between? (another full clause with no conjunction)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 08:38
Please, underline the appropriate part

thanks

-----------------

IMO D

OA and Source?

Thanks

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Last edited by JohnLewis1980 on 20 Apr 2009, 09:35, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2009, 20:13
Thank you for the explanation.

With so many exceptions and special cases, I feel like my basic grammar understanding never seems to apply in SC. When i first started GMAT prep, I thought SC was the easiest section in verbal. While my CR and RC skills have improved a lot since the beginning of study, my SC skills seem to go nowhere. no matter how much I study, i always stumble on yet another new special cases, which I am not familiar with. :evil:

(Is it because I am simply a non-english native? or do english natives find SC difficult as much as non-natives do?)

Anyway, this is great forum. Thanks again for the reply.
Intern
Intern

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 17:23
OA is C

from OG 12th Edition SC #118
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 24

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2009, 18:18
An easier alternative is to focus on the verb burn ... it has to be in the gerund form for the sentence to be grammatically correct.

-pradeep

In the land of the night, the chariot of the sun is drawn by the grateful dead

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 18

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 06:54
Hey everyone, just been introduced to this forum and can easily see how everyone finds it as a useful tool. In regards to this question, why is there an apostrophe after the "s" in human beings (i.e. "human beings' "). I am assuming that there is a pretty basic explanation but could not find anything specific through my google searches.

Thanks
Dhushan
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:32
Is there an Idiom around 'agree' like 'agree that' or 'agree to be'...?

---
_T
"You miss 100% of the shots you miss to take!" http://www.tarunarora.viviti.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 07:42
walkman4mba wrote:

What I know is
agree with (person/idea)
agree to (a plan or action)
agree on
Perhaps 'agree that' won't be incorrect :)

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 99

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 12:32
Natia wrote:
walkman4mba wrote:

What I know is
agree with (person/idea)
agree to (a plan or action)
agree on
Perhaps 'agree that' won't be incorrect :)

I think even 'agree that' also can be used but not as an idiom ..

'they agree that they will clean up'?? here 'agree' is a verb and 'that' is used in the 'that clause', which acted as an object ..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 119 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 15:35
Can someone please explain why e is wrong?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2009, 15:55
Why I removed choice E

I don't think "which" works here. "Which" makes it sound like it is describing the entire previous phrase (The world wildlife fund has declared that global warming); however, it is only describing "global warming," thus "A phenom....." makes more sense

just my guess
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 18

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 18:16
Natia wrote:
dhushan wrote:

Thanks
Dhushan

Nouns which in the plural take "s" ending, require only apostrophe (') without 's' in order to form their possessive form.
e.g. a student - a student's house
students - students' house
BUT child's house - children's house ( cause 'child' changes into 'children' in plural not by adding "s")

Hi Manager,

Thanks for the quick response. What you say is right but in this case "human beings' " is followed by a verb, i.e. "burning" - am I missing something here?

Dhushan
Director
Director
WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 106

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 23:07
bipolarbear wrote:
Can someone please explain why e is wrong?

IMO 'caused by fossil fuels' seems incorrect.
'Burning' of fossil fuels is the cause.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 00:16
BTW do we have any extra questions in OG 12 compared to OG 11? Some one please clarify?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 06:37
Minheequang wrote:
city92 wrote:

I think it's simple, mate
c) a phenomenon that most scientists agree is caused by human beings's burning of fossil fuels -->that here is a relative pronoun modifies for a phenomenon

As if we commonly think, it can be written as: a phenomenon that is caused by human .... where that here modifies for a phenomenon and stands at the subject position of the new clause

But this clause offered by the choice (C) here is written as: a phenomenon that most scientist agree is caused ... where a phenomenon here is still modified by that but it plays a role of an object in the clause modifying for it, and therefore, most scientists will be the subject of such clause
More clearly, we can re-write it as: most scientist agree global warming (a phenomenon) is caused by human being's burning of fossil fuels --> you can see the object role of a phenomenon, or global warming, in this re-written clause
Such structure is still called a clause modifying for a Noun, and they are connected by a relative pronoun, whatsoever the role of such Noun (Subject or Object) in the modifying clause. Maybe I can't remember its official name, but as I mentioned, lets simply call Noun-modifying clause

Thank you. This makes me clear.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago, LBS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 8

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 09:44
acer2knight wrote:
BTW do we have any extra questions in OG 12 compared to OG 11? Some one please clarify?

New Questions in the 12th Edition: 56 (40%)
Repeated Questions from the 12th edition: 84 (60%)
Questions deleted from 11th Edition: 54 (39%)

Here is a complete list of the new questions in each section (question numbers in the 12th Edition).

RC: 1, 2, 3, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124, 125, 126, 127

CR: 2, 4, 7, 9, 12, 14, 17, 19, 22, 24, 27, 29, 32, 34, 37, 39, 42, 44, 47, 49, 52, 54, 57, 59, 62, 64, 67, 69, 72, 74, 77, 79, 82, 84, 87, 89, 92, 94, 97, 99, 102, 104, 107, 109, 112, 114, 117, 119, 122, 124

SC: 1, 3, 6, 8, 11, 13, 16, 18, 21, 23, 26, 28, 31, 33, 36, 38, 41, 43, 46, 48, 51, 53, 56, 58, 61, 63, 66, 68, 71, 73, 76, 78, 81, 83, 86, 88, 91, 93, 96, 98, 101, 103, 106, 108, 111, 113, 116, 118, 121, 123, 126, 128, 131, 133, 136, 138
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife... [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 11:39
Not really sure why a phenomenon is preferred over which here.

I felt which directly connects with global warming but a phenomenon could be referring to the the declaration by the World Wildlife fund on global warming.

In this case is it clear on what a phenomenon is referring by placing a comma?
Re: OG 12th SC, 118 The world wildlife...   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2009, 11:39