Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:22 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Inequalitiesx                              
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23849 [350]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618824 [144]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2696 [26]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 580 Q46 V24
GPA: 3.7
WE:Marketing (Telecommunications)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [8]
Given Kudos: 183
Send PM
Re: If x and y are integers, is x > y? [#permalink]
Kudos
Further explaining option c

from 2, we know y is a -ve number and to make x+y > 0 , x has to be positive to make the equation greater than zero .

so c is sufficient
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [8]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Can anyone explain the answer please? [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
darkPassenger wrote:
If x and y are integers, is X > Y?

1) x + y > 0
2) y^x < 0

Question: Is X>Y?

1) x + y > 0
Sum of x and y is positive. We don't know which one is greater. Not sufficient.

2) y^x < 0
y to the power x is negative. The power cannot change the sign of the expression. If the expression is negative, it is imperative that y is negative (and x is odd). Whether x is negative or positive doesn't matter.
Here we know that y is negative but x could be positive or negative so we don't know which of x and y is greater. Not sufficient.

Using both together, you know that y is negative but x+y is positive. When will this be possible? Only when x is positive and with absolute value greater than y.
So x is positive but y is negative. This means x is greater than y.

Answer (C)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
abhi398 wrote:

from 2, we know y is a -ve number and to make x+y > 0 , x has to be positive to make the equation greater than zero .

so c is sufficient

From 2, why we have decuded that y is a -ve number? y^x= 3^-3 is also less than zero and in this case y is positive. Can you please explain?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618824 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
mulhinmjavid wrote:
abhi398 wrote:

so c is sufficient

From 2, why we have decuded that y is a -ve number? y^x= 3^-3 is also less than zero and in this case y is positive. Can you please explain?

\(3^{(-3)} = \frac{1}{3^3} = \frac{1}{27} > 0\), not less than 0.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 176 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Would anybody please explain why we ruled out statement 2. I thought the that the only was for y^x<0 is for y to be negative and X to be an odd power. I ruled out the negative values of X thinking that if X is negative then y would be a negative fraction and the question stem says that y is an integer. Why was I wrong here? Please help!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 16832 [4]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
naeln wrote:
Would anybody please explain why we ruled out statement 2. I thought the that the only was for y^x<0 is for y to be negative and X to be an odd power. I ruled out the negative values of X thinking that if X is negative then y would be a negative fraction and the question stem says that y is an integer. Why was I wrong here? Please help!

Hi naeln,

From statement-II, we can deduce that \(y\) is a negative integer but we can't say if \(x\) is a negative or a positive odd integer. Let's evaluate both the cases:

Case-I: \(x\) is positive
If \(x\) is a positive odd integer, then \(y^x < 0\). For example, assuming \(y = -2\) and \(x = 3\) would give \(y^x = -2^3 = -8 < 0\)

Case-II: \(x\) is negative

When \(x\) is negative, \(y^x\) would become a negative fraction and not \(y\) itself.

For example: if \(y = -2\) and \(x = -3\), then \(x\) & \(y\) both are integers and \(y^x = -2^{-3} = \frac{-1}{8} < 0\). Here \(y^x = \frac{-1}{8}\) is a fraction and not \(y\) itself.

Hope its clear why statement-II does not give us a unique answer.

Regards
Harsh
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 3386
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
If x and y are integers, is x > y?

(1) x + y > 0. Given that the sum of two numbers is greater than zero, but we cannot determine which one is greater. Not sufficient.

(2) y^x < 0. This statement implies that y is a negative number. Now, if y=-1 and x=1, then x>y BUT if y=-1 and x=-1, then x=y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since from (2) we have that y is a negative number, then -y is a positive number. Therefore from (1) we have that x>-y=positive, which means that x is a positive number. So, we have that x=positive>y=negative. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Thanks for the explanation. I got the correct answer using the same approach, however at the beginning of my solution I tried a different way to understand statement 2: Since \(y^0=1\) and \(0<1\), so if \(y^x<0\), it should mean that \(y^x<y^0\) and hence \(x<0\). I know this is not correct but I am unable to understand what am I doing wrong here.
Can you please help confirm that?

Thanks again!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618824 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dienekes wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(1) x + y > 0. Given that the sum of two numbers is greater than zero, but we cannot determine which one is greater. Not sufficient.

(2) y^x < 0. This statement implies that y is a negative number. Now, if y=-1 and x=1, then x>y BUT if y=-1 and x=-1, then x=y. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Since from (2) we have that y is a negative number, then -y is a positive number. Therefore from (1) we have that x>-y=positive, which means that x is a positive number. So, we have that x=positive>y=negative. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Thanks for the explanation. I got the correct answer using the same approach, however at the beginning of my solution I tried a different way to understand statement 2: Since \(y^0=1\) and \(0<1\), so if \(y^x<0\), it should mean that \(y^x<y^0\) and hence \(x<0\). I know this is not correct but I am unable to understand what am I doing wrong here.
Can you please help confirm that?

Thanks again!

If \(y\neq{0}\), then y^0=1. y^x < 0 does not mean that y^x < (1 = y^0).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Walkabout wrote:

(1) x + y > 0
(2) y^x < 0

(1) \(x+y>0\) : For this to be true, we will have the following 3 senarios:
a) \(x > 0\) and \(y > 0\)
b) \(x > 0\) and \(y <= 0\), which means \(x > y\)
c) \(y > 0\) and \(x <= 0\), which means \(y > x\)

Therefore, this statement is Insufficient

(2) \(y^x < 0\): For this to be true, \(y\) must be less than 0 and \(x\) must be an odd integer.
Therefore, this statement is insufficient.

(1) and (2) together:
From statement (2), we know \(y < 0\), therefore the only viable scenario for this in statement (1) is option (b): \(x > 0\) and \(y < 0\), which means \(x > y\) => Sufficient.

Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution

(1) x + y > 0
(2) y^x < 0

There are two variables (x and y) in the original condition. In order to match the number of variables and the number of equations, we need 2 equations. Since the condition 1) and 2) each has 1 equation, there is high chance that C is going to be the answer.
Using both the condition 1) and 2), we know that the condition 2) states y^x<0, which means y<0 and x=odd. Also, the condition 1) states x+y>0, which means y<0. So, x>0 and it is always the case that x>y. The answer is ‘yes’ and the conditions are sufficient. Therefore, since the condition 1) and 2) are not sufficient alone, the correct answer is C.

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
MathRevolution wrote:
Forget conventional ways of solving math questions. In DS, Variable approach is the easiest and quickest way to find the answer without actually solving the problem. Remember equal number of variables and independent equations ensures a solution

(1) x + y > 0
(2) y^x < 0

There are two variables (x and y) in the original condition. In order to match the number of variables and the number of equations, we need 2 equations. Since the condition 1) and 2) each has 1 equation, there is high chance that C is going to be the answer.
Using both the condition 1) and 2), we know that the condition 2) states y^x<0, which means y<0 and x=odd. Also, the condition 1) states x+y>0, which means y<0. So, x>0 and it is always the case that x>y. The answer is ‘yes’ and the conditions are sufficient. Therefore, since the condition 1) and 2) are not sufficient alone, the correct answer is C.

For cases where we need 2 more equations, such as original conditions with “2 variables”, or “3 variables and 1 equation”, or “4 variables and 2 equations”, we have 1 equation each in both 1) and 2). Therefore, there is 70% chance that C is the answer, while E has 25% chance. These two are the majority. In case of common mistake type 3,4, the answer may be from A, B or D but there is only 5% chance. Since C is most likely to be the answer using 1) and 2) separately according to DS definition (It saves us time). Obviously there may be cases where the answer is A, B, D or E.

How to determine whether the variable approach will it into a particular Q?
There are cases where at first glance ,it seems two options will convert to two equations but they turn out to be a single equation.
Is there any pattern which I can look into ?
Math Revolution GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 16594 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.82
Send PM