Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 10:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 13 Review from An Average Student's Perspective

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 550 Q47 V20
GPA: 3.74
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 67 [2] , given: 50

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
OG 13 Review from An Average Student's Perspective [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
I finished the new questions from OG 13 this morning. I haven't done the IR problems yet.

You can read a very good review of OG 13 by MGMAT from this blog. Although I agree that the problems are NOT "radically" different, there are few common patterns worth mentioning.

Problem Solving
I felt the biggest difference is in the Problem Solving. Most of the new problems are word problems (27% of new PS), specially in the hard problem range. Statics, digits & decimals, divisibility and percent problems are more common.

Moreover, although difficulty in the low and mid range did not increase, the higher range problems are a lot harder. I felt these hard problems (166, 170, 177, 178, 182, 183, 196, 198, 199, 218, 229) are representative of the problems I faced during the exam. Some problems took me about 4 to 5 minutes to solve and for some I had no idea how to solve.

If you are doing well in PS you should try to do these problems. But I agree that if you don't have access to OG 13, you should not worry much.

Data Sufficiency
Not much different. The higher end is a tinge harder. The new DS problems also has more word problems (31% of new). Statics, inequalities and fractions more common.

Sentence Correction
Not much different. Harder problems are mostly longer sentences. I found about two idioms in parallel structure. So memorize the idioms that has parallel structure in them. Modifier and parallelism are more common than others, in the new problems.

Critical Reasoning
A bit more trickier. Not much different overall. Minor problem types are more common. For example, Explain the discrepancy and complete the argument both are 32% of the new problems.

Reading Comprehension
RC is different. The passages are shorter; 71% of new are short passages. The number of questions are fewer per passage. The questions are mostly tricky and ask for specific details or ask you to infer. More importantly the higher end passages are shorter. It felt more like a set of longer critical reasoning questions. IMO, this change along with the exclusion of idioms is done as an effort to make GMAT a global test.

Integrated Reasoning/AWA
I haven't opened the IR section of the website yet. But I noticed that the issue part is gone from the AWA.

Overall
For $24 I got 158 new questions. That's 6.58 questions per dollar. It took me about a week to finish. I agree the new IR is a plus. But I felt disappointed to find just handful of problems for $24.

IMHO, releasing just a handful of problem every 3 to 4 years is not a fare practice. The students are forced to practice from non standard materials and suffer a lot because of this. At least I did.

---------------------
Just my two cents.

Kudos is the best way to say Thank you.

Last edited by udvranto on 02 Apr 2012, 10:54, edited 2 times in total.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q39 V35
GMAT 2: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 3

Re: OG 13 Review from An Average Student's Perspective [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 10:25
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: OG 13 Review from An Average Student's Perspective [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 08:56
nice review. thanks!

I wont be buying it then !
Intern
Intern
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 503 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG 13 Review from An Average Student's Perspective [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 07:49
Thought of this from another thread in case someone outside US wants to get OG13 quickly:
"For those who don't mind reading on computer, you can digitize your OG13 using this http://1dollarscan.com/
Save a ton of shipping cost for those outside the US. "

Please give KUDOS if you find that my post adds value! Thank you!! :)

Question Bank Extracted from the GMATPrep Software:
857 Verbal Questions: gmatprep-verbal-question-bank-130070.html
393 Quant PS Questions: gmatprep-ps-question-bank-130073.html
436 Quant DS Questions: gmatprep-ds-question-bank-130069.html

Re: OG 13 Review from An Average Student's Perspective   [#permalink] 04 Apr 2012, 07:49