Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 141. Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

OG 141. Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose [#permalink] New post 29 May 2004, 12:39
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
OG 141. Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same, all patients receiving hearts or other organs must take antirejection drugs for the rest of their lives.

(A) Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same
(B) Besides transplants involving identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(C) Unless the transplant involves identical twins who have the same genetic endowment
(D) Aside from a transplant between identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(E) Other than transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same

Answer (C).

OG Explanation:
Choice C, the best answer, solves these problems by using a clause introduced by Unless to describe the exception to the rule and a nonrestrictive clause beginning with 'who' to describe the characteristic attributed to all identical twins.

Q: Since Nonrestrictive clauses are paranthetic, Commas are needed to separate these clauses. How is the case of 'Who' in the above answer choice C different from this rule?

Please explain your answers.

Thank you in advance.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

Re: SC: Nonrestrictive Clause - Who [#permalink] New post 29 May 2004, 12:56
go2venkat wrote:
OG 141. Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same, all patients receiving hearts or other organs must take antirejection drugs for the rest of their lives.

(A) Unlike transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same
(B) Besides transplants involving identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(C) Unless the transplant involves identical twins who have the same genetic endowment
(D) Aside from a transplant between identical twins with the same genetic endowment
(E) Other than transplants between identical twins, whose genetic endowment is the same

Answer (C).

OG Explanation:
Choice C, the best answer, solves these problems by using a clause introduced by Unless to describe the exception to the rule and a nonrestrictive clause beginning with 'who' to describe the characteristic attributed to all identical twins.

Q: Since Nonrestrictive clauses are paranthetic, Commas are needed to separate these clauses. How is the case of 'Who' in the above answer choice C different from this rule?

Please explain your answers. Thank you in advance.

wow, this is a good point. I think we definitely need a comma in there. I would still say that C might be the best answer.

thanks go2venkat. we need these kind of conceptual discussions.

sincerely
praet
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 May 2004, 17:38
I am not sure if you really need a comma before who
ETS deliberately takes it off to confuse. Also I have seen
who being used for restrictive/non restrictive clauses.

The choice clearly C because every other sentence uses
comparatives ( Besides, Unlike, Aside from, other than ). Once
comparatives are brought in then identical elements are to be
compared. For example - Transplants to transplants
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 665 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 29 May 2004, 17:42
anandnk wrote:
I am not sure if you really need a comma before who
ETS deliberately takes it off to confuse. Also I have seen
who being used for restrictive/non restrictive clauses.

The choice clearly C because every other sentence uses
comparatives ( Besides, Unlike, Aside from, other than ). Once
comparatives are brought in then identical elements are to be
compared. For example - Transplants to transplants

The explanation clearly states that a nonrestrictive clause beginning with 'who' describes the characteristic attributed to all identical twins.

so we know that the clause beginning with who is non restrictive
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 May 2004, 04:19
Thanks Praetorian & AnandNK.

I wanted to ensure that there is no exception to this rule. Clearly, the other elements in the answer choice help one to nail it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Nonrestrictive Clause - Who [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 06:19
I´d like to bring up this dinosaur of a thread to comment on the restrictive vs non restrictive clauses.

The best answer is C, no doubt about it. Nevertheless, I think it is somewhat confusing: "identical twins who have the same genetic endowment"... leaves the possibility that there exist other "identical twins who don´t have the same genetic endowment". Both statements could be right at the same time, thus rendering the clause "who have the same genetic endowment" restrictive.

Please leave your comments.

go2venkat wrote:

Answer (C).

OG Explanation:

Thank you in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Nonrestrictive Clause - Who [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 06:25
I´d like to bring up this dinosaur of a thread to comment on the restrictive vs non restrictive clauses.

The best answer is C, no doubt about it. Nevertheless, I think it is somewhat confusing: "identical twins who have the same genetic endowment"... leaves the possibility that there exist other "identical twins who don´t have the same genetic endowment". Both statements could be right at the same time, thus rendering the clause "who have the same genetic endowment" restrictive.

Please leave your comments.

go2venkat wrote:

Answer (C).

OG Explanation:

Thank you in advance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2007, 17:06
I can accept that C is better than the other answer choices, but I do not think that it is free of grammatical errors. I too was under the impression that nonrestrictive clauses had to have a comma separating it from the rest of hte sentence.

From Bartleby's usage:
"who in restrictive and nonrestrictive clauses. The relative pronoun who may be used in restrictive clauses, in which case it is not preceded by a comma, or in nonrestrictive clauses, in which case a comma is required. Thus you can say either The scientist who discovers a cure for cancer will be immortalized, where the clause who discovers a cure for cancer indicates which scientist will be immortalized, or The mathematician over there, who solved the four-color theorem, is widely known, where the clause who solved the four-color theorem adds information about a person already identified by the phrase the mathematician over there."
http://www.bartleby.com/64/C001/078.html#WHO

Anyone want to chime in? I'm confused.
  [#permalink] 03 Jan 2007, 17:06