Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 14:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (02:03) correct 33% (01:15) wrong based on 686 sessions
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 15:03
My pick is D, but I dont have strong reasons for eliminating others.
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said
>> awkward & passive.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 17:45
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)

D is the answer. Don't know simply why we put "that" phrase in front, when we can have a form of "it~that~". Each choice, on top of it, has some mistakes and are written wordy...
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 17:54
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)

1. I am sensitive with "the fact that" in gmat
2. "It can hardly be said that + clause"- the polite way to express your position that are not favor any side.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 19:57
D is correct.
The reason for elimination of A was in my log, so I remember the Q,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 1

Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 08:42
This post was
BOOKMARKED
x2suresh wrote:
OG 50)

D for me.

That is used to introduce a subordinate. Using that at the start of the sentence is incorrect since a main clause should be introduced rather than a subordinate. E is flawed it is incomplete.

C is wordy and the noun (educators) should come directly before the modifying phrase "It can hardly be said ..."
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 19:36
I pick D

We need an independent clause here.
A,B->out

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2008, 22:11
I pick D too...

A, B are out.. its passive

E: ]can hardly be said seems wrong..

C: wordy..
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [0], given: 5

Re: SC EDUCATORS OG50 [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2008, 17:54
Thanks guys...

OA is D

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Pls come a master to explain it. [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 17:41

[Reveal] Spoiler: My doubt
Well, this post has already been posted, but there are no answers to explain why C isn't correct?

I think C is more clear. pls come a master to explain it. Thank you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 46

Re: Pls come a master to explain it. [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 18:48
You got it. C is clear, concise and complete.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3.75 IT
WE 2: 1.0 IT

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 5

Re: Pls come a master to explain it. [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 19:34
This post received
KUDOS
IMO D..
This is how differentiated between C and D
Hope this helps.

Jasontuyj2012 wrote:
What is second it referring to in the sentence.

Looks correct. Clear and concise

Cheers,
Varun

If you like my post, give me KUDOS!!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Account Management (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 4

Re: OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2012, 16:07
Chose D because it clearly states both clauses and uses That correctly.

DETERMINED TO BREAK 700!!!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 329 [0], given: 109

Re: OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 20:23
+1 D

"That + clause" acting as a subject is not prefered by the GMAT. A "placeholder IT" is better.
The correct idiom is "fault for".

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 29

Re: Pls come a master to explain it. [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 22:11
Jasontuyj2012 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler: My doubt
Well, this post has already been posted, but there are no answers to explain why C isn't correct?

I think C is more clear. pls come a master to explain it. Thank you

Quote:

In my opinion, in answer choice (C) the second 'it' causes pronoun referent error.
Furthermore, between "that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated" and "that educators are at fault for not anticipating", the latter is a better construction.

Thus, D is the correct choice.

Learn to walk before you run.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 20

Re: OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2012, 09:33
This post received
KUDOS
metallicafan wrote:
+1 D

"That + clause" acting as a subject is not prefered by the GMAT. A "placeholder IT" is better.
The correct idiom is "fault for".

hey thanks.

I just see one problem with D; please help me understand why it is not true, if atall.

A pen is for writing - CORRECT
I picked up the pen (in order) to write - CORRECT
I picked up the pen for writing - INCORRECT

for - specifies the purpose of an object and "in order to" specifies purpose of an action.

So, D choice also uses ".. for not anticipating the impact .." - wouldn't this be wrong? If not, are my above examples wrong? If they are, pls explain why. Thank you.

~ Divine
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 67 [5] , given: 44

CAT Tests
Re: OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:24
This post received
KUDOS
A - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

That something has happened can hardly be said that it is their fault.
something = educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

The second that is problematic.

If we change the construction to - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be their fault, I don't see any grammatical lapses, the construction is inelegant and awkward. I would look for a better construction.

B - That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

That something has happened can hardly be said to be at fault.
something = educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

What does it even mean? Who is at fault? An event cannot be at fault.

C - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology is just a modifier modifying educators. So the sentence in essence reads - It can hardly be said that it is the fault of a certain kind of educators.

certain kind - those educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

Now what is the fault of educators? it has no referent.

E - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

Something can hardly be said - Okay

Something - The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

- Changes meaning. it is not a fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology. In fact this very thing is debatable.

D - It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology - Perfect.

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, I kinda need some =)

Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 612 [0], given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcompu [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 06:56
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970

(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

HI all i am opening this thread again because i dint got the previous explanation quite convincing....so will request the experts also to share their thoughts.

as per my understanding i was able to eliminate A ,B but was stuck in C D E...
Please suggest.

thanks
SKM

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 136

Kudos [?]: 1374 [0], given: 122

Re: That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcompu [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 22:00
shaileshmishra wrote:
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault : Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970

(B)That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault
(C)It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology
(D)It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology
(E)The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said.

HI all i am opening this thread again because i dint got the previous explanation quite convincing....so will request the experts also to share their thoughts.

as per my understanding i was able to eliminate A ,B but was stuck in C D E...
Please suggest.

Hi shaileshmishra

Wrong. "who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology" modifies educators ==> C changes meaning because it says: educator who have not anticipated..... are not at fault. But the intended meaning is: educators are not at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology.

Correct.

Wrong. The structure of E is: the fact ..........can hardly be said ==> Wrong. The fact is the fact, why it cannot be said?

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 282

Re: OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 03:01
This post received
KUDOS
Here is a blog for sentences that begin with that!

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/substantiv ... -the-gmat/

I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed--Michael Jordan
Kudos drives a person to better himself every single time. So Pls give it generously
Wont give up till i hit a 700+

Re: OG 50) That educators have not anticipated the impact of   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2013, 03:01