Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 00:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG Diagnostic Verbal - Time Consuming & Way too Exhausting!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

OG Diagnostic Verbal - Time Consuming & Way too Exhausting! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2013, 21:38
I took the OG 13 Diagnostic verbal alone. Was surprised that first 3-4 passages were full of RC's and by the time I finished answering 2nd passage questions, I really got exhaused. And was shocked that there wer some 20 more tough CR questions ahead.

I really dint have the energy to read such huge passages of CR after finishing RC and to attend first 21, it took me 45 mins and I dint have any more energy to proceed.

Could any expert tell me some strategy of how to handle Verbal section. Especially when you get such huge passages in beginning. I finished MGMAT RC's CR and to my surprise this was the first test i took and I couldnt even withstand beyond 45 mins ( Leaving the success rates of ans's apart)..

1. What should i really do to improve my speed and energy level to understand the passage in such a short time frame.?

2. Will the real GMAT also have some 15-20 qns in RC in the beginning and some 30 odd CR questions??
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 9

Re: OG Diagnostic Verbal - Time Consuming & Way too Exhausting! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 18:22
Can anyone provide some insights on how to improve?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 87

CAT Tests
Re: OG Diagnostic Verbal - Time Consuming & Way too Exhausting! [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2013, 19:47
This post received
KUDOS
Mostly one get 4 RCs (3 short and 1 long) on the GMAT exam. The short RC has three questions, while the long RC has four questions. Typically, one should spend around 6-6.5 minutes on the short passage and around 8 minutes on the long passage.

Also, in general, you may not see GMAT throwing you back to back RCs on the exam. However, GMAT being an adaptive test can throw you back to back passages too.

The best way to work on Verbal is to practice extensively with the Official Guide.

Hope it helps!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 165 [1] , given: 0

Re: OG Diagnostic Verbal - Time Consuming & Way too Exhausting! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2013, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
the diagnostic in the beginning of the official guide is not intended as a score diagnostic, but more a skills diagnostic. You will find overall that the questions are much harder than they will be on the test and that the questions on your actual test will be fewer in number and not arranged by subject. For instance the Reading comp will be 4 passages spread throughout the exam and then a mix of single question critical reasoning and sentence correction. A much better indicator is to take an online practice test. One can be found for free at www.princetonreview.com Once you have taken a real simulation you will have a much better idea of how you will do on the actual test.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 660 [1] , given: 6

Re: OG Diagnostic Verbal - Time Consuming & Way too Exhausting! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2013, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
daisyhill1 wrote:

2. Will the real GMAT also have some 15-20 qns in RC in the beginning and some 30 odd CR questions??

No, you will not see 15-20 questions on RC followed by 30 complex CR questions.

The real GMAT test will only have about 4 RC passages (or 12 RC questions).
CR you may see around 13-14 questions
SC you may see around 14-15 questions

And those questions will be randomized...except for RC questions which will come in a series (questions related to that passage will be given before moving on to another question type).

In total, there should be 41 questions. So the diagnostic section in the OG is really just a series of questions. Don't use that to gauge what's going on in the actual test.
Try a GMAT Prep practice or a GMATPill practice test to get more of a sense of what to expect.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: OG Diagnostic Verbal - Time Consuming & Way too Exhausting!   [#permalink] 05 Aug 2013, 11:29