Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 05:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG, Kaplan, PR - Math/Verbal Workouts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 77500

CAT Tests
OG, Kaplan, PR - Math/Verbal Workouts [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 07:18
Hi everyone -

I've just begun my studying, and have been through the PR book, and most of the Kaplan book (from the course). I am also working with the OG as I go along as well.

I'd specifically like to become more advanced in my SC (which I am taking the Manhattan Guide SC is the best), and CR (I'm pretty good at this but want to make sure I nail every advanced CR question) - but am unable to find on these boards a good CR book.

I also need help on math. Very general at this point - but I need to beef up my PS and DS skills - so my questions are:

1. Are any of the other Manhattan Guides good/worth it?
2. Which verbal workouts do you think are best, or which do you think are worth buying - the OG verbal and math workouts, Kaplan's or PR's verbal and math workouts?

Thank you!
Julia :-D
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes

CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 07:23
Oh and let me please clarify, if anyone wants to recommend anything that they HIGHLY recommend please let me know! I am trying to develop my overall schedule with books to tackle. Thank you!

-Julia
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 07:53
Hi Julia!

Here's the cold hard truth. There are no good books for critical reasoning. If it's any solace, the CR for gmat is far easier than the LSAT.

Some people use the critical reasoning bible for GMAT. Take a look at the number of pages. It's huge!!!

Also, some people practice on the LSAT CR questions to get used to higher level problems.

Neither of these situations presents a good answer to your problem.

My suggestion would be review simple Aristotelian(sp?) logic. You know, the if then clause, contrapositive etc. Do it briefly. Then get used to the questions format.

I bought some book that was useful (I forget the name of it, but check my debrief) it was simple but by far the best guide on CR.

Just remember that CR expertise comes mostly with practice. Remember that assumptions and conclusions are the most relevant part of the argument. Identify and maniuplate the assumptions and evidence to arrive at the conclusion that the questions asks for.

Good luck.

CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 09:01
Thanks Kiddereck! I'm not TOO worried about my CR - Ive barely had any issues with hard CRs (I hope I am not jinxing myself right now). I just need to practice practice practice math and SCs.

I am kind of enjoying this process, as sick as that sounds, I always need a 'project' to do. I have got about 6-9 months to get my score down and I think I can do it. Some motivational thinking should be helpful at least.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2007, 09:58
I have the PR book you mention, the verbal workbook. It's great for additional practice, so yes, I would get it. I thought PR was better for verbal than Kaplan.
  [#permalink] 29 Aug 2007, 09:58