Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 21:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG SC No. 82

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

OG SC No. 82 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 01:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:49) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Hello there,
Can you please explain why Choice (D) is corrent, and why Choice (E) is wrong? To me from the meaning stanpoint, (E) was better, because "have been able" should be paralleled with "(have been) remained". Can somebody correct me and show me the clear definition why (D) is correct and (E) is wrong?

OG SC #82
-----------------------------
In contrast to large steel plants that take iron ore through all the steps needed to produce several different kinds of steel, "processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products had enabled small mills to put capital into new technology and remain" enomically viable.

(A) : same as above
(D) : small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remain
(E) : small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remained
----------------------------

Looking forward to your kind response.

Best regards,
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 11:36
please try to post the question stem properly, with the underlined portion clearly marked.

it is tedious to assume the underlined portion, and worse when all the options are not mentioned.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 181 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2005, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
D is correct based on parallellism and ellipsis. Make sure you see what is being compared

... small mills, by processing steel scrap into a specialized group of products, have been able to put capital into new technology and remain economically viable.

In red is the infinitive form of the two verbs being compared. The two actions are:
have been able to
1- put...
2- remain...
In other words, this is how you should read it:
small mills have been able to put capital into new technology and [have been able to] remain economically viable.
The italicized portion is ellipsed but the verbs are parallel

PS Please try to underline the portion to be corrected as it makes it visually easier for others to work it :thanks.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 21:22
I pick D , because it seems correct and nicely written.

Paul, you r a star! how do you know all these stuffs.. how can you justify so nicely ? :shock:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2005, 21:35
Here's what I think:
The use of the past perfect tense 'had enabled' is wrong.
parallel structure required: large steel plants ... process; small mills... process;
And finally D is better than E since 'have been' suggests that small mills are still putting capital into new techonology (present perfect, situation still exists) and remain is a better choiced tense
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2005, 14:43
Thank all for your replies. I see your point, but can you do me favor once again? Can you advise why (E) is wrong? I think (E) shows a parallellism as below.

(E) : small mills have been able to put capital into new technology and (have been) remained economically viable.

Best regards,
  [#permalink] 15 Feb 2005, 14:43