Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Apr 2014, 06:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 07:23
Hi,

I have read on and off in this forum and some others that OG is the best resource. But frankly I find the Quants a little too easy. Will the real GMAT be so?

I havent worked on all the problems in OG especially PS as they looked too basic. So I am at a loss as to how to prepare in a more organized manner for Quants.

I really have a tough time with DS, esp number properties and Absolutes. I seem to have learnt some tricks, but still I am scared of them. But OG does not seem to focus much on these.. or may be I Havent looked at all of them. I worked out some problems at the end of DS only.

Here are my test scores:

MGMAT 1 - 590 (Q42,V31) (July 11th)
MGMAT 2 - 680 (Q47,V35)
GmatPrep 1 - 730 (Q49, V42) (Was sooo happy!!)
MGMAT 3 - 640 (Q45,V33)
MGMAT 4 - 660 (Q46,V34)
MGMAT 5 - 680 (Q48,V35)
MGMAT 6 - 710(Q48, V39) (Yesterday)

I am taking the exam in three weeks.

I was initially aiming for 700, but now I am a little greedy and want to touch 730, since I saw it in GMATPrep. I am saving GMATPrep2 for the week before the exam. And I am done with all the exams I can take.

The plan is to work on 1000SCs and 1000CRs and work on the GMATClub Quants Tests.

And also work on OG problems.
Can you suggest anything else for me that might be helpful?

I want to touch 50 in Q is it too difficult? What should I focus on to get there? Is it possible at al in three weeks?

I will be more than happy with a 42 in V, what I got in GMATPrep.
DO you think I should aim for more? I am not sure..

Any response will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1987

Kudos [?]: 6434 [0], given: 3568

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 08:02
Expert's post
bzeena wrote:
Hi,

I have read on and off in this forum and some others that OG is the best resource. But frankly I find the Quants a little too easy. Will the real GMAT be so?

I havent worked on all the problems in OG especially PS as they looked too basic. So I am at a loss as to how to prepare in a more organized manner for Quants.

I really have a tough time with DS, esp number properties and Absolutes. I seem to have learnt some tricks, but still I am scared of them. But OG does not seem to focus much on these.. or may be I Havent looked at all of them. I worked out some problems at the end of DS only.

Here are my test scores:

MGMAT 1 - 590 (Q42,V31) (July 11th)
MGMAT 2 - 680 (Q47,V35)
GmatPrep 1 - 730 (Q49, V42) (Was sooo happy!!)
MGMAT 3 - 640 (Q45,V33)
MGMAT 4 - 660 (Q46,V34)
MGMAT 5 - 680 (Q48,V35)
MGMAT 6 - 710(Q48, V39) (Yesterday)

I am taking the exam in three weeks.

I was initially aiming for 700, but now I am a little greedy and want to touch 730, since I saw it in GMATPrep. I am saving GMATPrep2 for the week before the exam. And I am done with all the exams I can take.

The plan is to work on 1000SCs and 1000CRs and work on the GMATClub Quants Tests.

And also work on OG problems.
Can you suggest anything else for me that might be helpful?

I want to touch 50 in Q is it too difficult? What should I focus on to get there? Is it possible at al in three weeks?

I will be more than happy with a 42 in V, what I got in GMATPrep.
DO you think I should aim for more? I am not sure..

Any response will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome. Let's see if we can help you get greedier than 700. Not too much time left though.

In reality OG is not the best resource at all - it is the best/cheapest collection of real GMAT questions, but unless you have solid basics, it won't teach neither strategies, nor principles. It is more of a tweaking/refining. Your strategies and principles will come from guidebooks, which I assume you have used Manhattan GMAT Guides.

Many do report that OG is easier than the GMAT. One reason is that questions in the OG are arranged in an increasing order of difficulty, and after taking the first 50-100, it feels very easy. The hardest questions at the back of the book are probably 700 level. Few are more difficult than that.

At this stage, the best suggestion is to start identifying areas that can use some help. Are you familiar with an error log? You may want to start one if you have not done so yet.

The strategy then is to address weaknesses - you can take a look at this post: gmat-study-plan-go-from-650-to-80235.html about crossing the 700-line. You may pick up some tips there, though that plan would have been better to start a few weeks earlier...

to get Q to 50 or 51, take a look at this post: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html - there are two links to Q50+ debriefs and what worked.

Also, I see you have access to gmatclub tests - great move - they have helped hundreds or thousands of people get a higher math score (many got q50 or 51).

Finally, try to crack some hard questions in the PS or DS forums - you will learn quite a bit as you try to explain the solution and "teach" others. Nothing burns as hard into one's memory as a sting of making an embarrassing mistake. :gl

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
WE: Other (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 45

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 08:54
Imho The MGMAT tests are much harder than the actual tests... Try the GMAT Prep 2 and see what you get. You might be surprised to find a 750.
:shock:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 09:28
If I were in your shoes, given your score breakdown, I would be less worried about hitting 50/51 on quant and focusing more on improving the verbal... much more upside there imo
Intern
Intern

Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 13:43
bb,

Thanks for the elaborate response!
I Have only looked at MGMAT SC Guide, nothing else. Are the CR and RC ones good? The material floating in this club for Probability, absolutes etc is just great! But I need to get better some more. How is the powerscore Bible CR? I would like to try that.
I have started keeping an error log its just great! I have decided to spend only go over my error logs the last week before the exam. GmatClub Math tests are awesome! Thank you!

Mreevit - MGMAT Quants are hard, but Verbal I believe is not so hard? Thanks!

Blayze - Yes I know I Have lot of improvement in Verbal I have to work on that too.. Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1987

Kudos [?]: 6434 [0], given: 3568

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 13:51
Expert's post
both MGMAT CR and PowerScore CR are recommended (either one of them, but don't get both as it is waste). MGMAT RC is also recommended.

If you are shorter on time, you may get PowerScore Verbal Bible instead - it is more condensed, but for the "best" effect, get separate books.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Intern
Intern

Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2009, 19:40
Sure thanks bb, I will do that.
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 00:32
Hi,
If you reside in India, you could buy a book called "Quantum CAT." It's an excellent source of practice problems :)
If you do reside in India and can get the book, I can tell you how best to utilize it.

Please let me know.

Good Luck.

Regards,
Amrith

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Re: OG too basic? Need prep advice to get 730   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2011, 00:32