Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 13:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG12 Q31

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 15

OG12 Q31 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 20:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (02:38) correct 26% (01:48) wrong based on 85 sessions
Cheever College offers several online courses via remote computer connection, in addition to traditional classroom-based
courses. A study of student performance at Cheever found that, overall, the average student grade for online courses
matched that for classroom-based courses. In this calculation of the average grade, course withdrawals were weighted as
equivalent to a course failure, and the rate of withdrawal was much lower for students enrolled in classroom-based courses
than for students enrolled in online courses. If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true of
Cheever College?
(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students
enrolled in classroom-based courses.
(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses
than for the classroom-based courses.
(C) There are no students who take both an online and a classroom-based course in the same school term.
(D) Among Cheever College students with the best grades, a significant majority take online, rather than classroom- based,
courses.
(E) Courses offered online tend to deal with subject matter that is less challenging than that of classroom-based courses.

I am facing difficulty in solving this problem.

Using Inference technique as mentioned, i was able to eliminate

Option C - OFS
Option D - OFS (best grade is not talked in the passage)
Option E - OFS (less complex subject not discussed in argument)

Option A - iSAWT (I felt student who didnt withdraw got higher score is not right answer choice as the argument is only about the enrolled/withdrawl student count)

Hence, I marked option B as right choice.

Please help me in understanding what i am missing in making logical structure of this argument and in doing pre-thinking.

Thanks,
Ankur
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 6

Re: OG12 Q31 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2013, 20:29
This post received
KUDOS
[url][/url]
Precisely premise says:
1. Average grade of Online course and Classroom course is same.
2. Dropout/Failure in Online course is higher than Classroom course.
Average grade means: Total grade/number of students.
According to premise (2) the dropout in online course is more, means number of student contributing towards the total grade is less, and if number of contribution is less and it is equal to the average of classroom average then total grade of online course must be high.
So, (A)

(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses than for the classroom-based courses.
If number of student enrolled for online course is 100, and for classroom is 20, say 60 people dropped and 40 remained and all 40 did not scored well. In this case conclusion will not hold true. means in any case conclusion(Average grade is same) to hold true the total marks is important.

Hope this helps!
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1237

Kudos [?]: 3400 [0], given: 181

Re: OG12 Q31 [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 00:17
Expert's post
ankurjohar wrote:
Cheever College offers several online courses via remote computer connection, in addition to traditional classroom-based
courses. A study of student performance at Cheever found that, overall, the average student grade for online courses
matched that for classroom-based courses. In this calculation of the average grade, course withdrawals were weighted as
equivalent to a course failure, and the rate of withdrawal was much lower for students enrolled in classroom-based courses
than for students enrolled in online courses. If the statements above are true, which of the following must also be true of
Cheever College?
(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students
enrolled in classroom-based courses.
(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses
than for the classroom-based courses.
(C) There are no students who take both an online and a classroom-based course in the same school term.
(D) Among Cheever College students with the best grades, a significant majority take online, rather than classroom- based,
courses.
(E) Courses offered online tend to deal with subject matter that is less challenging than that of classroom-based courses.

I am facing difficulty in solving this problem.

Using Inference technique as mentioned, i was able to eliminate

Option C - OFS
Option D - OFS (best grade is not talked in the passage)
Option E - OFS (less complex subject not discussed in argument)

Option A - iSAWT (I felt student who didnt withdraw got higher score is not right answer choice as the argument is only about the enrolled/withdrawl student count)

Hence, I marked option B as right choice.

Please help me in understanding what i am missing in making logical structure of this argument and in doing pre-thinking.

Thanks,
Ankur

Hi Ankur,

You are correct in rejecting options C, D, and E as OFS.

However, the reasons for selecting option B and rejecting option A are correct.

First, let's talk about option B:

(B) The number of students enrolled per course at the start of the school term is much higher, on average, for the online courses than for the classroom-based courses.

Nowhere does the passage talk about number of students. The passage only talks about withdrawal rate, which refers to proportion of students who withdraw from the course. We do not know anything about the number of students in either traditional or online courses. So, option B is incorrect.

Coming to option A:

(A) Among students who did not withdraw, students enrolled in online courses got higher grades, on average, than students enrolled in classroom-based courses.

You are correct that the passage only talks about students who withdrew and not about students who did not withdrew. But what is the relation between students who withdrew and students who did not withdrew?

The relation is:

Students who did not withdrew + Students who withdrew = Total number of students enrolled

Now, we are given average grade for all the enrolled students and we also know average grade of Students who withdrew - the grade is "0" or "failed". From this, don't you think we can make some judgement about the average of students who did not withdrew.

We can!

If average grade for "all enrolled students" was same for traditional and online courses
And "Number of students who withdrew i.e. who got "Fail" grade" were higher for online courses than traditional courses
Then, in such a case, the average grade of students who did not withdrew must be higher for online courses than traditional courses.

Do you get it?

If you look back now, you can see that Students who did not withdrew and Students who withdrew constitute all the students. Right?

In such cases, where two sets constitute everything or the universe, then in a lot of cases, on the basis of information of one set, we can make inferences about the other set.

Does it help?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: OG12 Q31 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 11:30
the question states

p1: the online average grade (o)=the classroom based average grade (c) (total grades/students, g/s)
p1: rate of withdraw of online studentes (o)> rate of withdraw of classroom based (c) (withdraw/students, w/s)

these means that online classrooms go/so and wo/so

thus go/so=gc/sc and wo/so>wc/sc

total grade=wo(go) + wnot withdraw(gnot withdraw)

wo/so>wc/sc this means that online studenter are fewer than that of classroom based so that [wnot withdraw(gnot withdraw)] need to be HIGH to have the average grade for online and classroom based
Re: OG12 Q31   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2013, 11:30