Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG13 Q104. 162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 15

OG13 Q104. 162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 21:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:57) correct 33% (00:53) wrong based on 41 sessions
OG13 Q104.

162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

I can see that the OA is a superior answer to B, but I have a query on the structure of B. According to the OG, "carefully coordinating.." modifies illustrations not Beatrix Potter. Do -ing participial modifiers always modify the noun in front? I thought the placement of such modifiers was a little bit less rigid?

Thanks everyone!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 644 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 21:54
Expert's post
tcsing wrote:
OG13 Q104.

162. Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, capitalized on her keen observation and love of the natural world.
(A) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives,
(B) In her book illustrations, carefully coordinating them with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(C) In her book illustrations, which she carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter
(D) Carefully coordinated with her narratives, Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations
(E) Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully coordinated them with her narratives and

I can see that the OA is a superior answer to B, but I have a query on the structure of B. According to the OG, "carefully coordinating.." modifies illustrations not Beatrix Potter. Do -ing participial modifiers always modify the noun in front? I thought the placement of such modifiers was a little bit less rigid?

Thanks everyone!

Hii tcsing.
In case of modifiers, you must remember one rule.
The modifiers can modify on either side unless there are some barriers such as "and", "but" etc.
In the query you raised, same issue is status quo. The modifier can ambigously modify either side of the modifier and hence the answer choice becomes ambigous.
Hope that helps.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 06:07
Marcab wrote:
tcsing wrote:
OG13 Q104.

Thanks everyone!

Hii tcsing.
In case of modifiers, you must remember one rule.
The modifiers can modify on either side unless there are some barriers such as "and", "but" etc.
In the query you raised, same issue is status quo. The modifier can ambigously modify either side of the modifier and hence the answer choice becomes ambigous.
Hope that helps.

Thanks marcab, this helps a lot! I always get confused between when modifiers are ambiguous and when they are not!
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 29

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 07:05
An easy way to see whether or not a modifier is ambiguos is to see whether or not the modifier could be mistaken for modifying something else. For example in the sentence "The men danced with the women, and they enjoyed it", "they" is ambiguous because it could be modifying "men" or "women". Think about it this way: if someone who is just starting to learn English could mistake a word for modifying different parts of a sentence, the modifier is probably ambiguous.

I hope that helps :)

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Intern
Intern

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 18:23
commdiver wrote:
An easy way to see whether or not a modifier is ambiguos is to see whether or not the modifier could be mistaken for modifying something else. For example in the sentence "The men danced with the women, and they enjoyed it", "they" is ambiguous because it could be modifying "men" or "women". Think about it this way: if someone who is just starting to learn English could mistake a word for modifying different parts of a sentence, the modifier is probably ambiguous.

I hope that helps :)

Thanks commdiver :)
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 318

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 20:56
But still folks why (B) isn't the answer????

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 21:07
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Rgds,
Saurabh

The modifier is ambiguous :) It needs to modify 1 thing clearly, and here it is not clear, because the -ing modifier can modify either the noun in front or the noun behind it
Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 19:38
tcsing wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Rgds,
Saurabh

The modifier is ambiguous :) It needs to modify 1 thing clearly, and here it is not clear, because the -ing modifier can modify either the noun in front or the noun behind it

Great then why not (A).

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 368 [0], given: 182

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 20:30
targetgmatchotu wrote:
tcsing wrote:
targetgmatchotu wrote:

Rgds,
Saurabh

Great then why not (A).

Rgds,
Saurabh

This choice is wrong due to incorrect use of "them". It clearly doesn't refer to "book illustrations".

Thanks,
PraPon

Tough 700+ Level RCs: Passage1 | Passage2 | Passage3 | Passage4 | Passage5 | Passage6 | Passage7
Reading Comprehension notes: Click here
VOTE: vote-best-gmat-practice-tests-excluding-gmatprep-144859.html
PowerScore CR Bible - Official Guide 13 Questions Set Mapped: Click here

Director
Director

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 21:43
This choice is wrong due to incorrect use of "them". It clearly doesn't refer to "book illustrations".
[/quote]
Hi,

Why do you think "them" is ambiguous in its placement."Them" has an antecedent "illustrations".
On the contrary I do not consider it ambiguous .

Rgds,
Saurabh

Rgds,
TGC!

Re: Beatrix Potter, in her book illustrations, carefully   [#permalink] 14 Jan 2013, 21:43