Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 05:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG13 Q14

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-15-2013
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

OG13 Q14 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2013, 09:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Chiranjeev,

I am confused with an explanation provided in OG13 for an option.

Wood smoke contains dangerous toxins that cause changes in human cells. Because wood smoke presents such
a high health risk, legislation is needed to regulate the use of open-air fires and wood-burning stoves.
Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the argument above?
(A) The amount of dangerous toxins contained inwood smoke is much less than the amount contained in an
equal volume of automobile exhaust.

I took this option as Out of Scope as we are only focused on the toxins caused by burning wood and comparing toxins with automobile exhaust makes
the option OFS.

But the explaination in OG states that :
If wood smoke were as dangerous as car exhaust, this might support the idea of regulating it just as
exhaust emissions are regulated; but this statement tells us it is less dangerous.

The idea stated that if the smoke was as dangerous, it might support the argument. I am a bit confused here as it seems to be adding extra info
outside the general knowledge (just as exhaust emissions are regulated).

So, can a choice as below be considered correct for the passage above :
(A) The amount of dangerous toxins contained inwood smoke is much more than the amount contained in an

Thanks,
Sahil Batra
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1170

Kudos [?]: 3043 [0], given: 176

Re: OG13 Q14 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 02:03
Expert's post
shlbatra wrote:
Hi Chiranjeev,

I am confused with an explanation provided in OG13 for an option.

Wood smoke contains dangerous toxins that cause changes in human cells. Because wood smoke presents such
a high health risk, legislation is needed to regulate the use of open-air fires and wood-burning stoves.
Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the argument above?
(A) The amount of dangerous toxins contained inwood smoke is much less than the amount contained in an

I took this option as Out of Scope as we are only focused on the toxins caused by burning wood and comparing toxins with automobile exhaust makes
the option OFS.

But the explaination in OG states that :
If wood smoke were as dangerous as car exhaust, this might support the idea of regulating it just as
exhaust emissions are regulated; but this statement tells us it is less dangerous.

The idea stated that if the smoke was as dangerous, it might support the argument. I am a bit confused here as it seems to be adding extra info
outside the general knowledge (just as exhaust emissions are regulated).

So, can a choice as below be considered correct for the passage above :
(A) The amount of dangerous toxins contained inwood smoke is much more than the amount contained in an

Thanks,
Sahil Batra

Hi Sahil,

Let me begin by saying that while OG questions are truly the best in the market, OG explanations are not. You will notice this fact much more in SC than in CR.

In this question, per OG explanation given, the option statement suggested by you should be a valid strengthener. However, it is not. The reason is that we don't know whether automobile exhaust is regulated or not. This information is not a universal fact which we can take as common knowledge.

So, all in all, you are correct that choice A is OFS and we cannot assume that automobile emissions are regulated.

Does this help?

Thanks,
Chiranjeev

Free Webinar: July 12, 2014 - Key to score 760 on the GMAT: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your GMAT strategy and create your own study plan to ace the GMAT. Click here to register.

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 08-15-2013
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 19

Re: OG13 Q14 [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 09:18
Thanks Chiranjeev... That solves my query...
Re: OG13 Q14   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2013, 09:18