Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 05:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OG81 Mortgage: another comparision

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 196 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
OG81 Mortgage: another comparision [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2005, 21:28
81. In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.
(A) income; and forty-four percent in 1984
(B) income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent
(C) income, and in 1984 forty-four percent
(D) income, forty-four percent in 1984 was the figure
(E) income that rose to forty-four percent in 1984

Discussion please.
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2005, 21:43
A) income; and forty-four percent in 1984
You cannot start a sentence with a conjunction I think.
What was forty-four percent?

Okay

What was forty-four percent?

ACKWARD

What rose to forty-four percent - Is it the income or the Mortgage payment. This implies income rost to forty-four percent.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2005, 22:53
(B)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2005, 23:02
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

(A) income; and forty-four percent in 1984 - Grammatically, you can start a sentence with a conjunction; it's just considered poor form. Either way, a semi-colon is used to separate two independent clauses while indicating a relationship between them.

(B) income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent - This is a grammatically correct sentence. You can safely assume that the figure discussed relates to the mortgage payments, since "of an average thirty-year-old male's income" is just one long prepositional phrase.

(C) income, and in 1984 forty-four percent - This is a disruptive comma. In order to place a comma before the "and" (or any conjunction, for that matter) in a sentence, it must be dividing two independent clauses.

(D) income, forty-four percent in 1984 was the figure - This is a comma splice. Because the clause after the comma is independent, the sentence needs either a conjunction to separate the two clauses (with a comma - see above), or there need to be two sentences.

(E) income that rose to forty-four percent in 1984 - "That" is a modifier that modifies "income" and not the mortgage payment. In this case, the "that" alters the meaning of the sentence altogether.

Hope this helps!
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2005, 23:16
Is it ok to introduce "the figure" in (B)? Why can't C be right in the sense of elipse?
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2005, 23:31
You can introduce the figure in B because of the semi-colon. A semi-colon generally indicates a closer elationship with the previous clause than a period does. Take for example: He ate 22 moon pies; the sheer quantity was disgusting. Another example (just to demonstrate how a semi-colon can create ties between two random thoughts): Sarah's calves are sore; she wears high-heels every day.

As for the rest of your question, I'm not sure what you mean about C in the sense of an elipse...

C is incorrect because you can't put a comma in the middle of sentence unless it serves a specific function (e.g. lists, appositives, non-essential clauses/phrases, etc). In C, the comma sets off a dependent, essential phrase - two circumstances in which commas shouldn't be used.

Did that clarify?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 09:54
Halahpeno,

Great explaination.As for (E),why can't that refer to the mortage payment?Is it because the subject income is closer compared to mortage payment?Please advice.Thank you.Rgds,

Anna

halahpeno wrote:
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.

(A) income; and forty-four percent in 1984 - Grammatically, you can start a sentence with a conjunction; it's just considered poor form. Either way, a semi-colon is used to separate two independent clauses while indicating a relationship between them.

(B) income; in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent - This is a grammatically correct sentence. You can safely assume that the figure discussed relates to the mortgage payments, since "of an average thirty-year-old male's income" is just one long prepositional phrase.

(C) income, and in 1984 forty-four percent - This is a disruptive comma. In order to place a comma before the "and" (or any conjunction, for that matter) in a sentence, it must be dividing two independent clauses.

(D) income, forty-four percent in 1984 was the figure - This is a comma splice. Because the clause after the comma is independent, the sentence needs either a conjunction to separate the two clauses (with a comma - see above), or there need to be two sentences.

(E) income that rose to forty-four percent in 1984 - "That" is a modifier that modifies "income" and not the mortgage payment. In this case, the "that" alters the meaning of the sentence altogether.

Hope this helps!

We can crack the exam together

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 10:07
halahpeno wrote:
You can introduce the figure in B because of the semi-colon. A semi-colon generally indicates a closer elationship with the previous clause than a period does. Take for example: He ate 22 moon pies; the sheer quantity was disgusting. Another example (just to demonstrate how a semi-colon can create ties between two random thoughts): Sarah's calves are sore; she wears high-heels every day.

As for the rest of your question, I'm not sure what you mean about C in the sense of an elipse...

C is incorrect because you can't put a comma in the middle of sentence unless it serves a specific function (e.g. lists, appositives, non-essential clauses/phrases, etc). In C, the comma sets off a dependent, essential phrase - two circumstances in which commas shouldn't be used.

Did that clarify?

Thanks for the great explanation! For C I was thinking it may mean this:
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income, and in 1984 (it represented) forty-four percent.

Would this be correct?
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 16:28
Quote:
In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income, and in 1984 (it represented) forty-four percent.

I agree with that. Sometime ellipsis will work and sometime it does not. I couldn't master about ellipsis until now.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 19:59
qhoc0010 wrote:
I couldn't master about ellipsis until now.

This means you have mastered it now, correct? ;)
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 22:00
HongHu - you're understanding is absolutely correct - the sentence tries to assume that you know what it's saying (which you do). The problem is the misuse of the comma. Otherwise, it would be correct, I think.

Now I see what you mean by ellipsis! :)
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 22:30
HongHu wrote:
qhoc0010 wrote:

ah, let me rephrase it.

I cannot master about ellipsis even until now.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 22:53
halahpeno wrote:
HongHu - you're understanding is absolutely correct - the sentence tries to assume that you know what it's saying (which you do). The problem is the misuse of the comma. Otherwise, it would be correct, I think.

Do you mean that there shouldn't be a comma, or do you mean that there should be a semicolon in place of the comma?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2005, 22:57
qhoc0010 wrote:
HongHu wrote:
qhoc0010 wrote:

ah, let me rephrase it.

I cannot master about ellipsis even until now.

:lol:
I still haven't mastered it till now.
I have yet to master it even till now.

Hmmm not sure what is the best way to say this.
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2005, 10:17
[quote="HongHu"][quote="halahpeno"]HongHu - you're understanding is absolutely correct - the sentence tries to assume that you know what it's saying (which you do). The problem is the misuse of the comma. Otherwise, it would be correct, I think.
[/quote]

Do you mean that there shouldn't be a comma, or do you mean that there should be a semicolon in place of the comma?[/quote]

There should be no comma.
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 08:41
HongHu wrote:
halahpeno wrote:

Did that clarify?

Thanks for the great explanation! For C I was thinking it may mean this:

Would this be correct?

I concur with Hong on the possible use of Ellipsis to justify C being correct. Can somebody clarify this?

I still get confused with ellipsis and parallelism sometimes....
CEO
CEO
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG81 Mortgage: another comparision [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2007, 13:14
HongHu wrote:
81. In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income; and forty-four percent in 1984.
(A) income; and forty-four percent in 1984
wrong use of a semicolon

correct

missing a noun. makes it very unclear whether forty percent of income or mortgage. in addition, a statistic cannot stand alone. it must be a figure of 44%, an amount of 44%...etc

no conjunction, runon sentence

that restricts its immediate referent. it is not income, but rather mortgage pmts that rose.

Discussion please.
Director
Director
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 02:15
B

A/C are out as they're not independent clauses. B is best because they're dependent clauses, the second clause refers to the first but can stand alone as a sentence.

It's like this sentence

In 2007, I was a poor student, having literally no income; now, in 2012, my income exceeds $400 million.

Break it up:

In 2007, I was a poor student, having literally no income

now, in 2012, my income exceeds $400 million.

You can make two sentences out of it, so it's valid. But if you had:

In 2007, I was a poor student, having literally no income; now, in 2012, it exceeds $400 million.

Is wrong:

In 2007, I was a poor student, having literally no income

now, in 2012, it exceeds $400 million.

What exceeds $400M? It's not an independent clause.

ok im tired im going to bed, it's 6:15am lol. GN
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2007, 02:46
I have highlighted the parallel portions for choice C.

(C) In 1973 mortgage payments represented twenty-one percent of an average thirty-year-old male's income;
-----in 1984 the figure was forty-four percent(of an average thirty-year-old male's income - ellipsed portion).

Two rules are enough to eliminate other choices:
-usage of semicolon - check Elements of Style at http://www.bartleby.com/141/strunk.html#5
-parallelism
  [#permalink] 30 Jul 2007, 02:46