Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 04:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

oh well, 640

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

oh well, 640 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 15:40
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys,

HavenтАЩt had a chance to share my GMAT experience with you. Took the G a couple of weeks ago. Score 640 Q47 V31. Not sure what to say, it was a b_ _ _ h.

The quant wasnтАЩt as easy as I thought it would be. Few obscure questions. Prob and Com/Perm question did not show up around Q12 or 13, rather Q2 was a prob, and a fairly difficult one. CouldnтАЩt believe it, some Comb Permutation questions. While they were somewhat similar to the ones discussed here, they were not as difficult but with some twists. Of course all the rest of the Basic Qs and Data sufficiency, many of them.

Verbal was deadly, around 40% sentence corrections. Yeah, some of you might thing that its good, but believe me, they werenтАЩt easy. I was pretty confident going in. Around Q4 I began seeing SC in which the whole sentence is underlined, and tests many of the grammar concepts. They started coming in that form and never ended. Wheeeew!! Reading comp was fairly typical, the questions were tougher though, too similar, and finding the right one was difficult. CR were fairly easy, a few bold format Qs, and so on.

Here is what I can say to those of you planning to take it soon: It has been said before, and I will say it again, know OG by heart, not Kaplan, Princeton or any other stuff. You can go to those types of material when you can answer any OG question in the middle of the night. Bottom line: FOUNDATION. It s all about a solid foundation. Know concepts, donтАЩt memorize too many formulas, read RCs, as many as you can get your hands on, study number properties, donтАЩt waste too much time on advance math stuff, even if you do learn it, the incremental growth will be marginal, while in the meantime you could earn major point in other areas. Ex: if you are pretty confident in Quant, and can score above 45, and verbal is your weakness, study 99% of the time for the verbal section. I wish I devoted my entire study to it, and I didnтАЩt, and you see the result. ThatтАЩs all I can really say to all of you. If you have any Qs feel free to email me, and I'll try to answer as many Qs as possible.

Most importantly, I'd like to thank Praet and BB for developing this site. Also, the guys that I studied with: Paul, Anand, Vivek, Kpadma and all the rest. Thank you all, and good luck. Remember one thing, discuss as much as possible, and always ask why. As for myself, not sure if I am going to retake it, I certainly believe I can do much better in verbal, and wont even mention the fact that I slept 3 hours the night before, took the exam at 8am and so on. I think I just did mention? hmm :lol: what I mean is, no one cares, what is important is the end result. V40 is definitely within my reach, but I do need to take some time off for now. Case in point, do your best, donтАЩt drive yourself insane it wonтАЩt help. I know that itтАЩs easier said than done, but tryтАжтАжтАжтАжтАж

Best Regards,

Lvb9th

---------------------------------------------------
The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing!
----------------------------------------------------

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 16:29
Hi

It is a good score for a month of preparation! I think with another month
or so preparation, you can defintely cross 40 in verbal. Take a little bit of
rest, and charge again.

Best wishes
Kpadma
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2004, 17:13
lvb9th, glad to hear from you again! For a while, I thought we lost you for good after your G day :) My most heartfelt congratulations for your score. 640 for a first timer is great! Definitely agree that another shot will give you a better score. I'll miss the arguing I had with you. Hang around buddy! :run

Best Regards,

Paul

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2004, 03:12
Buddy...

640 is a good first time score...I know it does feel bad that the score does not reflect the amount of effort one has put in...
Except for Kpadma(he has not taken the G yet)...we are all in the 630-650 category...hang around and Im sure we would all cross the 700 barrier.Chill out for some time...have some beers and then come back with vengeance.

Vivek.

"Start By Doing What Is Necessary ,Then What Is Possible & Suddenly You Will Realise That You Are Doing The Impossible"

CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 657 [0], given: 781

Re: oh well, 640 [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2004, 13:00
Dear lvb

Do try and take it again. It would not be wise to take a long break in your prep. We hope to see you in our discussions soon. :)

Sincerely
Praet
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2158

Kudos [?]: 7576 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: oh well, 640 [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2004, 12:38
Expert's post
lvb9th wrote:
Hi guys,

HavenтАЩt had a chance to share my GMAT experience with you. Took the G a couple of weeks ago. Score 640 Q47 V31. Not sure what to say, it was a b_ _ _ h.

The quant wasnтАЩt as easy as I thought it would be. Few obscure questions. Prob and Com/Perm question did not show up around Q12 or 13, rather Q2 was a prob, and a fairly difficult one. CouldnтАЩt believe it, some Comb Permutation questions. While they were somewhat similar to the ones discussed here, they were not as difficult but with some twists. Of course all the rest of the Basic Qs and Data sufficiency, many of them.

Verbal was deadly, around 40% sentence corrections. Yeah, some of you might thing that its good, but believe me, they werenтАЩt easy. I was pretty confident going in. Around Q4 I began seeing SC in which the whole sentence is underlined, and tests many of the grammar concepts. They started coming in that form and never ended. Wheeeew!! Reading comp was fairly typical, the questions were tougher though, too similar, and finding the right one was difficult. CR were fairly easy, a few bold format Qs, and so on.

Here is what I can say to those of you planning to take it soon: It has been said before, and I will say it again, know OG by heart, not Kaplan, Princeton or any other stuff. You can go to those types of material when you can answer any OG question in the middle of the night. Bottom line: FOUNDATION. It s all about a solid foundation. Know concepts, donтАЩt memorize too many formulas, read RCs, as many as you can get your hands on, study number properties, donтАЩt waste too much time on advance math stuff, even if you do learn it, the incremental growth will be marginal, while in the meantime you could earn major point in other areas. Ex: if you are pretty confident in Quant, and can score above 45, and verbal is your weakness, study 99% of the time for the verbal section. I wish I devoted my entire study to it, and I didnтАЩt, and you see the result. ThatтАЩs all I can really say to all of you. If you have any Qs feel free to email me, and I'll try to answer as many Qs as possible.

Most importantly, I'd like to thank Praet and BB for developing this site. Also, the guys that I studied with: Paul, Anand, Vivek, Kpadma and all the rest. Thank you all, and good luck. Remember one thing, discuss as much as possible, and always ask why. As for myself, not sure if I am going to retake it, I certainly believe I can do much better in verbal, and wont even mention the fact that I slept 3 hours the night before, took the exam at 8am and so on. I think I just did mention? hmm :lol: what I mean is, no one cares, what is important is the end result. V40 is definitely within my reach, but I do need to take some time off for now. Case in point, do your best, donтАЩt drive yourself insane it wonтАЩt help. I know that itтАЩs easier said than done, but tryтАжтАжтАжтАжтАж

Best Regards,

Lvb9th

your quant is pretty good though; 47 is pretty good. Verbal does need work. 31 is not a way to go. Your post sounds like good English, so 31 is a surprise to me. (??) Thank you for the credit, but thank you for your time here too. We will be glad to see you back.

-Bogdan.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: oh well, 640   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2004, 12:38