Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5011 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
[#permalink]
can you post your quant notes?
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats dude. Thats an excellent score. Now get back to b-school application forum....we are all waiting for u there..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kryzak, amazing score! Congratulations!! You are my hero :)

I have been following your posts, and since your exam date and mine are only two days apart, I was feeling the same way as you were during the last week. My exam is in the afternoon tomorrow, so I am still feeling anxious. I am not aiming as high as you are, so I keep telling myself to calm down and just do my best. We will see about that!

Oh well, thanks for all the tips! I'll make sure I do some jogging today or tomorrow to refresh my mind off the GMAT. Hope to see you soon in the admissions forum :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
Re: Debrief [#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Alright, just had some friends over for poker, and ended up 2nd place (went all in with KKs and he flipped over AAs! Talk about bad luck! Not that I"m complaining after my GMAT today! ;))

I'm so excited that I'll try to post my debrief here tonight. If I leave out anything, please ask and I'll try to answer.

First of all, I want to thank EVERYONE here at GMATClub! All your good wishes, congrats, support, and advice! This group has been so kind to me the past week when I was a nevous wreck, enduring all my repetitive questions about "should I study more? should I do the math challenges? etc...". Without all y'all, I would not have gotten the score today. This one's for all of you out there! =)

With that said, here's my entire study history. I want to put out a WARNING about following my process, as I'm the type of guy that doesn't like to study much for tests and usually work better under pressure and panic. It's how I always took my midterms and finals in college, study the night before. Don't worry though, I'll be working on my essays a lot earlier (I usually write them 10pm the night before they're due, and still get an A, haha =P) this time, since B-school means so much more to me.

Anyway, here it goes:

Books I used:
OG11 (bible!)
OG Verbal Review
Princeton Review Crack the GMAT 2007 (only read the strategies and tips)
Manhattan SC (saved my life!)
Veritas class notes (from a good buddy of mine) for Quant

My GMAT Practice Test Scores:

Test Name Date Score S% Quant Q% Verbal V%
GMAT Prep 7/12/07 770 99 50 95 44 97
Manhattan 7/15/07 720 96 47 81 41 93
Princeton 7/22/07 670 87 50 95 33 68
Manhattan 7/22/07 680 88 47 81 36 80
PowerPrep 7/24/07 710 93 50 95 35 75
PowerPrep 7/27/07 750 98 49 89 44 97
GMATPrep 7/29/07 710 93 49 89 38 84
GMAT! 8/3/07 760 99 51 99 41 93

I started pretty much on July 4th, with the OG11 Diagnostic test. Two weeks before July 4th, I started reading the PR Crack the GMAT strategies and learn what GMAT is all about. But it was only on July 4th that I sat down and took the diagnostic test. It took me a week to finish all 5 sections (a few friends were visiting, so I never had a chance to really do all the questions in one sitting) I got above average (at the border of Excellent) for PS, DS, SC (at the lower end) and Excellent for RC and CR. On 7/12, I finally got the chance to sit down and take GMATPrep1. I had to do the Quant section the night of 7/11, and finish the verbal on 7/12. As you can see, I got 770, and was quite surprised. I was thinking, "no sweat at all!"

But, I didn't take it lightly, and since I missed 6 out of 8 of my Verbal on SC, I ordered Manhattan SC as everyone suggested. Over the next 2 weeks, I worked on that book, every exercise, and every OG question in OG11. My hit rate ranged from 60-80%, and roughly 75-80% in the end for hard questions (the hard 1/3 of the book). Meanwhile, I started doing the hard 1/3 of PS/DS and CR/RC. I was getting 80-90% on them, occassionally dipping down to 70% in 10-20 question sets. Then I decided to take the Manhattan GMAT CAT, and scored a 720. The math was so hard it freaked me out, and my verbal dropped too. Therefore I started forcusing mostly on verbal from 7/15 until 7/22, and then I took the PR CAT. That devestated me. 670 was a far cry from 770, and my verbal dropped to 33?! Anyway, that was when I had my flood of "panic" posts on GMAT Club regarding how accurate PR CATs were. I made the mistake of taking the MGMAT CAT2 *right after* PR CAT, and by the middle of the Verbal section, my brain was dead and I couldn't understand even the simplest of RC passages. That is definitely something I recommend AGAINST doing!

Alright, then I found PowerPrep, and then began my 3 last successive tests, with more OG11 problems in between. As you can see, my scores were hovering around 710 (the 750 on PowerPrep2 was a fluke, because many verbal questions were the same as OG11), and my heart sunk. I began to believe that 710 is my true ability, and the 770 I got on GMATPrep1 was a distant dream. After a fewdays, I was able to convince myself that anything over 700+ is good, and I shouldn't worry so much about it (thanks to all you GMATClubbers again!), and my mood improved.

I followed GMATClubbers' recommendations of
- Not taking any more full CATS a week before the test (I stopped the Sunday before my test)
- Do a full CAT with AWA (my 7/29 GMATPrep2)
- Do not do any problems the day before, and get lots of sleep and exercise

So Monday, Tuesday, and Wenesday before the test (7/30-8/1), I finished the entire OG11 SC, hard 1/3 of CR and RC, 1/2 of Verbal Review's SC (the hard section), hard 1/3 of PS and DS for Quant. I also skimmed through Veritas workbooks on Arithmetic, Geometry, Algebra, Probability/Combinations, and the most useful of them all, their "Number Properties Extra Handout". I highly recommend this one if you have it or if a friend of yours took a Veritas class. It's a small 20+ page pamphlet that helps you with some of the toughest math questions about number properties.

On Thursday (8/2), I didn't do much. I reviewed all my mistakes in all sections, and re-read the Manhattan SC book. I also read the PR and OG11 AWA section just to see how I should write my AWAs. Other than that, I had dinner with a friend and watched the Simpson's Movie (wasn't as funny as I hoped).

On Friday, 8/3, I took 2 sleeping pills and slept till 11am. Woke up, did 6-8 questions for each section, the medium-hard sections. re-read the PR/OG11 AWA instructions again, re-read Manhattan SC, and then went for a light jog for 20 minutes. Left for the testing center 45 min in advance (I only live 10-15 min away), and thank goodness I did, because the traffic on the 101 was horrible! Good thing I plopped in some Mozart CD and that calmed me down and kept me from being frustrated. I always listened to some Mozart before a test in college, so I did it this time too. It definitely helps keep you calm. :)

I made it still 20+ minutes ahead of time, and the nice Russian lady that was there last week when I visited Pearson Vue (oh yeah, I checked it out a week in advance to get used to the drive and the area, highly recommended!) was there again, and she checked me in. Chatted with a girl who was also taking the GMAT, and we worried about our chances and how random our practice scores were.

Went in to take the test. The earplugs are AMAZING! I felt the world shut out and at some points I thougth I could hear myself think... or maybe I was just going crazy... haha! Anyway, i was very relaxed, and the Analysis of an Argument went well. I kinda stumbled on Analysis of an Issue (usually easier for me) because my three supporting reasons were kinda overlapping, and I felt that I repeated myself in my 3 separate paragraphs. I think my AWA will probably be a 5 on the Argument and a 4 on the Issue.. Let's see how accurate I am.

Took the full 10 minute break. Did the cold water splashing face thing some GMATClubber recommended. Stretched, did some calisthenics (is that what they're called?) and ate a granola bar.

Went in for the Quant. All the questions were SO EASY I began to worry. I had so much time near the end (roughly 4 minutes per problem) that I was doing each question twice just to double check and see if I forgot something. I finished with 5 minutes left and took my 2nd break. did the water, stretch, exercise, food thing again, and went in for my verbal.

Verbal was tough. I don't know why, but I usually have 5 minutes left in the end, and this time I barely finished. Some of the RC and CR I couldn't decide between two or THREE answers, and all the SC I learned from Manhattan SC just didn't apply to any of the questions for some reason! I kept on breathing in deeply and telling myself not to panic. I know I can do this. And finally, IT WAS OVER!

Most people say that the survey part is the most cruel because it makes you wait before you see your score, but I needed the time to let my adrenaline rush calm down, and actually enjoyed the survey. Finally, when I clicked "show the score", the computer took what seemed like hours to come up with the screen.

***760*** HOLY CRAP!!! I couldn't beleive my eyes! It was a wonderful moment and I had to really restrain myself from screaming outloud. I stared at the score for a few minutes before I raised my hand to be let out. The ladies were really nice and the Russian lady printed me my score and told me good luck on the application.

I gathered my stuff, went in my car, and screamed for a few minutes at the top of my lungs to release all the nervous energy I had. I was so psyched about it! Whether it's the exercise, the relaxation, the sleep, the studying, or the Mozart, I DID IT! And that's all that mattered.

Anyway, rushed home for a nice poker night with the guys, and almost won the tournament. It was a good night all in all.

So my final tips and takeaways:

- Do your last GMATPrep at least 5 days before the test

- Do all the OG problems you can do, they're the most reflective of the test and will prepare you very well

- OG Verbal Review is great for extra problems if you need help on Verbal. I don't know how the Math Review is.

- Manhattan SC ROCKS! Get it if you have SC problems.

- My CR and RC were always good (since SATs and GREs), so I didn't study for them at all, other than do the OG questions. I would recommend you do as many RC and CR questions as you can, and notice how the answers are explained if you got them wrong. That's the best advice I can give for those sections. Sorry I couldn't say more.

- Quant was very easy for me, and it was all about learning all the "types" of questions they had. Everything else is just a variation. This you can get by doing all the hard questions in the OG, and reading some good math overview book like the PR Math Review, the OG Math Review, and the Veritas Math Review. If you get Number Properties down, you can answer some of the toughest questions!

- I would recommend the GMAT Challenges or Manhattan GMAT CAT math sections if you need mroe math practice, but DO NOT let those deflate your confidence. It's just to teach you how to do questions faster and smarter, so the OG will be super easy if you go back to them. I didn't do the GMAT Challenges, but I've seen a few problems and they are definitely tough but worth it if you have time.

- ALWAYS take the GMATPrep1 first after you familiarize yourself with the GMAT format. This will tell you how much time you need to spend studying. I was reading all the posts about people spending 3 months non-stop studying, and was worried that my less than 1 month of haphazard studying wasn't enough. But GMATPrep1 helped me gauge where I was and where I wanted to be. I definitely WOULDN'T recommend my method for everyone, but if that's how you work, then give it a try.

- All in all, I spent 3-4 hours a night for 3 nights before the test doing OG problems. I spent two Sundays roughly 6-8 hours doing CATs and OG problems, and probably 1-2 hours a night from 7/12 to 7/29 on weeknights doing Manhattan SC and other OG stuff.

I think I covered everything, and if you read this far, I commend you for not falling asleep! If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll try my best to answer. Now I will spend more time in the B-school App section, as the journey has just begun (unfortunately). PM me if you need me to respond and I haven't in a while. Sometimes I don't get the notifications.

Thank you all again at GMATClub! You guys have been wonderful to me! Woohoo!

dude, i took the veritas class and never got a number properties handout.
that is like my biggest weakness. can you upload it to esnips?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
alright, I'll try to answer all the questions:

pmenon: as for my quant study strategy, I really didn't have a set strategy. You see, I've always been the type who learns from

doing problems and making mistakes. I get better when I see different types of problems, realize why it took me so long to do the

question or why I made the mistake, and learn from that. That's how I did my SATs and GREs. Therefore, I knew I was going to get

a lot of hard quant questions, so I methodically went through the hard 1/3 of the OG11 over 2-3 weeks. I would suggest you start from the 1/2 way point of the OG, and give yourself 10-20 PS and DS questions every other day. Maybe do DS one day and PS the other day. Ready EVERY answer explanation, whether you got it right or not, and keep track of your "hit rate". Learn how the "official" way of doing the question is, and see if you can do the problems faster.

Once you're done, get the Green OG Math Review book and do the same for the hard 1/2 of the book. After that. go back and try all the questions of the OG11 again and see if you still make any mistakes. Other tactics include getting the Manhattan math books, especially for the area of Quant that you're weak in. If the "Numbers Properties" book from Manhattan is as good as the Veritas, I would buy it immediately. Since Manhattan books cover the entire OG11 and OG Math Review, you could get the 5 books and go through them a chapter a day and do all the suggested problems so you understand the concepts behind the math! That's key I bevlieve. On the test, I just see a problem and go, "Oh, it's an even/odd type question" or "oh, it's a factor into (x+y)(x-y) question". Once you get to that stage, quant won't bother you anymore. To summarize:

You can either:
- Study the OG11 and Math Review yourself, doing 10-20 problems each day and understanding the explanations
or if you need more help:
- Use the 5 Manhattan books and do a chapter a day and understand the concepts and do the OG11 Math Review recommended problems they give you.

Finally, do GMAT Club challenges and Manhattan CAT math sections to challenge yourself. You'll get very hard questions, so don't do them until you finish the OG and Math Review, but once you can do those in 2-3 minutes, you'll cruise through the math section of GMAT!

zakk: Haha, I'm not sure how I did it... lots and lots of problems? That's how I learn. For my GRE, I just did 1 full practice exam (back when they had verbal, math, and the logic section) every night for 5 days in a row right before the test and took it. =P

bmwhype2: I hope my reply to pmenon helps you too. That's as detailed as I can get with my math, as I didn't spend much time on it (I'm an engineer and math comes easily...)

anita and auro: I'll be there, don't worry! =) I still need LOTS of help from GMATClubbers to get into my dream schools! Anita, yes, jog a little, but don't overdo it. Make sure you do the cold water splash thing before each section. Eat and drink a little during break and move your body around to relax yourself. Think of the test as a practice and nothing more. Just concentrate, focus, and do the problems like it was a gameshow. That was my mentality during the test. I'm SURE you'll do well!!!

anonymous: that's strange. It says "Advanced Number Properties: A Veritas Quant lesson suppliment". It was in the bigger book called "Quantitative Review". Anyway, I don't think I can put it on esnips because the book isn't mine and I don't have a scanner available. I have to give it back on Monday, sorry. BUT! I think Manhattan has a "Numbers Properties" book too. It should be pretty good! Give that a try?

again, thank you everyone for your congrats! I never felt so close to all of you and we've never even met! =)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 535 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
alright, I'll try to answer all the questions:
I didn't spend much time on it (I'm an engineer and math comes easily...)

yikes, thats scary because im an engineer as well, but its been a while since ive actually sat down and have had to figure out any math problems !
GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 693 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 Q51  V50
Send PM
[#permalink]
You've taken a big step to your dream school! Enjoy!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations buddy !! you've truly tamed the beast !
Now G'luck for the monster in the form of apps !!!
Cya in the applications forum :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
Kryzak,

I was following your posts closely and i enjoyed your ton of posts just before a week to your exam. I want to know how you overcame your SC weakness. With a 41 on verbal, i believe you did your SC quite well. Just throw some light on how you did Manhattan SC and what special care you took dunig the last week to keep up a good SC momentum?

Originally posted by trahul4 on 04 Aug 2007, 20:07.
Last edited by trahul4 on 04 Aug 2007, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hmm. Our GMAT scores are the same. We're applying to most of the same Cali schools, and you have better EC stuff than me... Sorry Kryzak, we must meet in thunderdome. 2 men enter, 1 man leave! :shock:

Kidding of course, good work. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome score man! Congratulations! See you in the applications forum!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congratulations..................................:-D

Pardon my vocabulary, but I can't think of a better word!! I do know that a 760 deserves something more than just a 'Congratulations'.......

Heck, I'll say it again!! CONGRATULATIONS DUDE!!! GREAT SCORE!!!!!!! :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: OH YEAH BABY!!! (760 Q51 V41) [#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Just got out of the center. I can't believe the score was that high!!!

760 99%
Q51 99%
V41 93%

I don't know why math was so easy, I finished with 5-7 minutes left. Verbal was TOUGH, I couldn't figure out most of the SC, and the RC/CR were tough too. I was thinking, "Man, I'm screwed"... the survey questions at the end were actually good for me to relax a little before seeing the score.

Then the score popped up! And I had to hold back from cheering out loud.

Anyway, it's over now... I feel like Frodo at the end of Return of the King (the first ending =P)... the weight has been lifted... only to be replaced by a heavier one (essays) ;)

The debrief to come sometime this weekend... gotta host some friends right now.

Thank you EVERYONE for your support and encouragements! I couldn't have done it without you all!

Another GMAT exam bites the dust! Great job!!!!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
You guys are too nice! Let me try to answer the questions =)

bherronp: Hahaha! Very true. I'm also applying to the exact same schools as some of my friends, all of whom have 750+ GMAT and good credentials. Maybe I should start sabotaging their food, j/k! LOL!

trahul: Thank you for the kind words! I really thank you for your supportive messages the week before the test =) As for SC, it's strange because I got a V44 on GMATPrep1 *before* I started studying SC, partially because I had no clue how to do any SC beyond medium level, and focused on the RC/CR and got only 1 wrong in each and 6 wrong in SC. As I did more and more SC questions, I was getting better, but still missing 5-6 questions on the CATs, albeit from the medium to hard bins. Meanwhile, my RC/CR suffered because I had less time per question to do them and made some stupid mistakes (that's when I got the V33, 36, 38). I think after more SC practice, I was able to get more SC correct without sacrificing CR/RC, and was able to climb back to V41 again.

I studied Manhattan SC 1 chapter at a time, and did not move on until I did all the sample questions. Of course, not all GMAT questions only contain verb tense errors, so in the beginning, before you learn the later chapters, you might miss all the hard problems in the first few chapters, but that's fine. Just do them all, Ch 1-9, record all the problems you missed, and re-do those later on. Make sure you LEARN the material and didn't just read through the chapter. Understand why you chose an answer over another. It's easier when you're doing the chapters because you know all the questions in that chapter are of similar type.

I don't know if this answered your question, but let me know if you need more info. =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Holy Poop on a stick! Great score, man!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3903 [0]
Send PM
reply [#permalink]
Great score kryzak. Congratulations. I do need advice on SC. I have been struggling to get a handle on SC, I'm scoring around 70% and having a hard time reaching my goal of 85%. I'm not a native english speaker and thus every now and then waste a lot of time in the conversion but if you have any advice that I could apply towards my preparation would be appreciated.

BTW i am using manhattan gmat and sc 1000 and og 11 for prep.

Over to you boss
GMAT Club Bot
reply [#permalink]
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts