Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 10:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (01:44) correct 33% (01:46) wrong based on 3 sessions
Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters affected by our recent oil spill than has been spent on any previous marine mammal rescue project. This shows our concern for the environment.
Environmentalist: You have no such concern. Your real concern is evident in your admission to the press that news photographs of oil-covered otters would be particularly damaging to your public image, which plays an important role in your level of sales.
The environmentalist’s conclusion would be properly drawn if it were true that the
(A) oil company cannot have more than one motive for cleaning the otters affected by the oil spill
(B) otter population in the area of the oil spill could not have survived without the cleaning project
(C) oil company has always shown a high regard for its profits in choosing its courses of action
(D) government would have spent the money to clean the otters if the oil company had not agreed to do it
(E) oil company’s efforts toward cleaning the affected otters have been more successful than have such efforts in previous projects to clean up oil spills
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 5

Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 14:31
I am thinking A. The environmentalist's conclusion is that the oil company's single concern is regarding press/sales, and that there is no room for multiple motives.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 210 [0], given: 6

Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 19:10
Is OA (C)?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 21:34
nverma wrote:
Oil company representative: We spent more money on cleaning the otters affected by our recent oil spill than has been spent on any previous marine mammal rescue project. This shows our concern for the environment.
Environmentalist: You have no such concern. Your real concern is evident in your admission to the press that news photographs of oil-covered otters would be particularly damaging to your public image, which plays an important role in your level of sales.
The environmentalist’s conclusion would be properly drawn if it were true that the
(A) oil company cannot have more than one motive for cleaning the otters affected by the oil spill
(B) otter population in the area of the oil spill could not have survived without the cleaning project
(C) oil company has always shown a high regard for its profits in choosing its courses of action
(D) government would have spent the money to clean the otters if the oil company had not agreed to do it
(E) oil company’s efforts toward cleaning the affected otters have been more
successful than have such efforts in previous projects to clean up oil spills

I pinned down to options A&C, i think other options can be discarded easily.
here is my take on options A&C:
A: this is certainly assumed, we need to focus on evidence of environmentalist's argument, he say "Your real concern is evident in your.. " this means environmentalist assumes that Oil company representative does not have any other
"real" concern except what environmentalist says.

C: environmentalist is not concerned with profit of the oil company, he mentions this to justify his evidence, moreover environmentalist mentions "level of sales" which is different from profit.

IMO A
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 8

Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 05:21
I narrowed it down to A & C

Then decided to go with A
because option C go with environmentalist's views but it talks about profit not sales. Dont want to assume here

Only option left is A

What is OA?

Success is my Destiny

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 07:02
The OA is A.

As per A, the oil company can have only one motive, but then why can't the only motive be "environmental concern.". Somehow i 'm not able to neglect C.

Can some shed light on the matter...!!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:25
I think it is A.
As for C, first how the company manages the profits I think has nothing to do with the decission made in this particular case. It does not necessarily link the premise to conclusion.
Second, I do not like "always" "never" those extreme words
Manager
Manager

Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:46
nverma wrote:
The OA is A.

As per A, the oil company can have only one motive, but then why can't the only motive be "environmental concern.". Somehow i 'm not able to neglect C.

The environmentalist’s conclusion is that the oil company has no concern for the environment.

“A” says that that the OC has only one concern. The argument already showed that they have a concern for profit/sales, so this leaves no room for a concern for the environment.

“C” may support the environmentalist, but does not say that the OC does not have concern for the environment. Just because they like profits, doesn’t mean they don’t have any concern for the environment, or that they cannot change their course.

Has to be “A.”
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 00:10
mmphf wrote:
nverma wrote:
The OA is A.

The environmentalist’s conclusion is that the oil company has no concern for the environment.

“A” says that that the OC has only one concern. The argument already showed that they have a concern for profit/sales, so this leaves no room for a concern for the environment.

“C” may support the environmentalist, but does not say that the OC does not have concern for the environment. Just because they like profits, doesn’t mean they don’t have any concern for the environment, or that they cannot change their course.

Has to be “A.”

Please help me understand where the above mentioned premise is asserted ?
Manager
Manager

Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 13:15
nverma wrote:
mmphf wrote:
nverma wrote:
The OA is A.

Has to be “A.”

Please help me understand where the above mentioned premise is asserted ?

The Environmentalist's statement says specifically that the oil company's actions show they are concerned with their level of sales. This is not just the environmentalist's opinion; he/she says that the oil company admitted in a press conference how it would be damaging. This concern for their public image, and in turn their level of sales is a fact. The environamentalist is asserting that the oil company's statement that they do show concern for the enviroment, that their only concern is profit/sales.

Sorry if that is confusing. Hope it helps.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Oil company representative [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2010, 06:09
Flaw was obvious and only A exposes it
Re: Oil company representative   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2010, 06:09