Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 03:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ok, my biggest problem on the GMAT is time. As I have an

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Ok, my biggest problem on the GMAT is time. As I have an [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2007, 08:12
Ok, my biggest problem on the GMAT is time. As I have an ADHD (and the GMAC denied my extra time request, because apparently, you can still have an ADHD, but if it isn't severe enough to impact your every day life, you don't fall under the ADA guidelines and therefore do not need extra time... i.e. i hate the gmac), I end up getting killed on the math section. I have been looking for ways to do calculations much quicker than what I am used to, and came across some books on amazon that teach "speed math." One book in particular, The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics," seems to teach a mucher "faster" math method.

Can anyone recommend a good book, or does anyone have any notes that teaches this speed math? They give some examples and the concepts/tricks seem AMAZING.

Thanks
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2007, 13:31
I have a copy of this book :-D

This book delivers what it promises. It'll be useful to you if have trouble multiplying, dividing, or need help finding square roots, or squares.

The approach in this book is good if you need help on working with large numbers. It's a real time-saver there but I haven't come across too many large numbers on the GMAT, and when I have they have mostly been solved by applying the right concepts.

Sometimes you do need to work with big numbers. Check out the link below
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... highlight=

Get this book if not being able to perform calculations is whats holding you back but before you buy the book I advice you to sample it here
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.trachten.html

Maybe it won't be a bad idea to try this in some of your practice tests:
Solve as many questions as you can and when you start to run out of time, pick any answer choices on the remaining questions to get to the end of the section. See how this strategy works for you.

BTW, the opening of the book tells a little about Jakow Tractenberg, the founder of this system. He came up with this system while he was in one of the worst Nazi concentration camps and Hitler himself gave orders to kill him so everyday was like his last. He had no paper to write on there and he came up with all the techniques explained in this book by working everything out in his head!

Pretty amazing, huh?
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2007, 09:29
Thank you- i appreciate it!
  [#permalink] 30 Mar 2007, 09:29